M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a DUCKS cover about a year ago and have been very happy with it. I'm considering installing a pair of Scorpion tips. I know I will have to install a fuel management system. I will probably install the Cobra FI200r , because of the simplicity of the product and because there are no Dynos for hundreds of miles. I have been content with an average of 35MPG which I thing is great considering the size of this monster engine . I am OK with an average of around 180 highway miles per tank with a little reserve.

My question is for anyone running this type of set up is what kind of fuel economy should I expect? I'm planing on some long trips in the future and don't want to have to be pulling over for gas every 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,942 Posts
I'm still amazed how someone can get 35 mpg. Do you ride it wide open all the time? :D

I get 42-44 mpg, and have with every setup I've had on the bike. From K&N's in the stock boxes with stock pipes, to the filters with my home made freer flowing pipes, to the filters I have on today with the Cobra pipes. I have the FI2000R on it and have just tweaked it a little between different setups.

Unless you run it harder, the mods and Cobra shouldn't lower it. If the engine is running more efficiently you couldn/should see an increase in fuel mileage.

Do your Ducks intakes have a fairly open design? For those to flow any more air the cutouts have to let more air in than the 2" opening in the back of the filter does. And you need to have something other than the stock filters in them to flow more, otherwise you're just getting cooler air.

Also, the Scorpions won't change the fueling that much. You still have the catalytic converter and SET valve in place. So they help some.

I guess I'm saying that between the two mods you're not going to need to add that much fuel to the mixture. And you shouldn't see a decrease in fuel mileage unless you run it harder.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm still amazed how someone can get 35 mpg. Do you ride it wide open all the time? :D

I get 42-44 mpg, and have with every setup I've had on the bike. From K&N's in the stock boxes with stock pipes, to the filters with my home made freer flowing pipes, to the filters I have on today with the Cobra pipes. I have the FI2000R on it and have just tweaked it a little between different setups.

Unless you run it harder, the mods and Cobra shouldn't lower it. If the engine is running more efficiently you couldn/should see an increase in fuel mileage.

Do your Ducks intakes have a fairly open design? For those to flow any more air the cutouts have to let more air in than the 2" opening in the back of the filter does. And you need to have something other than the stock filters in them to flow more, otherwise you're just getting cooler air.

Also, the Scorpions won't change the fueling that much. You still have the catalytic converter and SET valve in place. So they help some.

I guess I'm saying that between the two mods you're not going to need to add that much fuel to the mixture. And you shouldn't see a decrease in fuel mileage unless you run it harder.
:agree: Stock I was getting 40-43 and would think I should do a little better with my new mods.... once set.... Tho haven't got to do much riding since put them on... :doorag:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I unscientifically seemed to drop about 5mpg when I changed to a free flow intake/exhaust and a Cobra fueler...but if I take into account how much I enjoyed feeling and hearing the increase in mid range and top end power it was probably less then half of that. If I ride conservatively I still average close to 40 around town and very short highway trips.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm right around 42mpg with this setup:
- Ducks Covers
- K&N replacement Filters
- Gutted Shorty Stock pipes
- Cobra FI2000R (stock settings)

I can usually go between 160-175 miles before the gas light first starts to blink from a full tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate everyones feedback. When I say I get 35 MPG that is my average and the majority of my driving is allot of stop and go on this island loaded with tourists. On the one trip I made to Daytona I was up in the low 40 MPG range. I have a trip planed for May up to Georgia and hope to have all these mods completed before the trip. I may even try to make the Mid Atlantic meet. It sounds like I shouldn't be to worried about decreased fuel economy.
Thanks again for the feedback.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts

I average 36 with only a trackday tre as the only mod. The best tank I've had was 40. That being said I do have a hard time staying out of the throttle. The bike is too much fun. Hopefully I can avoid getting a ticket. That would probably help my fuel mileage :doh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts