M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read numerouse stories from people who have ordered a Smart TRE from adaptive performance and waited weeeks without getting the product and no one would respond to messages, wrong contact info etc.... I ordered one last week and became concerned. I went onto their website and used the "contact us" icon. I sent them a message explaining how many dissappointed customers are on this site and if i don't get a response I will be requesting my money back from Pay Payl and will contact the BBB like everyone else. I received a responce in less than 24 hrs. The verdict: allot of appologies. There was a problem getting some of the parts needed through customs to build the TRE's so they were very back ordered. Problem is solved and orders will start shipping out again. The employee at adaptive performance wasn't responding to anyone and has been recently fired. They said everyone who has an order placed will be getting their TRE's shortly! Hope its true but was glad to get a quick responce with some answers. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I got some good news about AP TREs too. I took mine off and threw it in the trash and my bike runs better now. Don't waste your money on these things....

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I got some good news about AP TREs too. I took mine off and threw it in the trash and my bike runs better now. Don't waste your money on these things....
LOL.

How is the rest of your bike set up?

A TRE is not a great thing for every bike.

There are legitimate reasons to retard your timing and if you are just blindly adding a TRE, you may see bad results.

I went through several intakes and exhausts. I have a TRE, but use my power commander to add back in a controlled amount of timing retardation that is appropriate for the setup I am running.

Used properly, a TRE is a great thing. Used without reason on the wrong setup, a TRE can end up hurting your performance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
what a crock lol......

they always have another excuse why they suck and why they got better yesterday.

If you get treated like dirt, take your business elsewhere. There are other companies out there that want your money and don't need to make excuses.

jazz

·
Registered
56 Posts
Marlow and Adaptive

Wow, suddenly they got religon yesterday. For weeks Mr. Marlow never looked at why it was sooooooo quiet at some employees desk when he knew he wasnt turning out product. Did he not look at his Paypal account either to see that there were numerous people who had filed complaints. We all should get the TRE and our money back for the hassle we endured.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
LOL.

How is the rest of your bike set up?

A TRE is not a great thing for every bike.

There are legitimate reasons to retard your timing and if you are just blindly adding a TRE, you may see bad results.

I went through several intakes and exhausts. I have a TRE, but use my power commander to add back in a controlled amount of timing retardation that is appropriate for the setup I am running.

Used properly, a TRE is a great thing. Used without reason on the wrong setup, a TRE can end up hurting your performance.
I'm not saying TREs in general are a bad thing, in fact I think they're a good addition to the bike. However, I've had both an AP and a JSD TRE go bad on me and both caused the bike to idle too high. If I were to buy another one, it would be a GiPro. BTW, my mods are Cobra exhaust, K&N filters, and an FI2000.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have read numerouse stories from people who have ordered a Smart TRE from adaptive performance and waited weeeks without getting the product and no one would respond to messages, wrong contact info etc.... I ordered one last week and became concerned. I went onto their website and used the "contact us" icon. I sent them a message explaining how many dissappointed customers are on this site and if i don't get a response I will be requesting my money back from Pay Payl and will contact the BBB like everyone else. I received a responce in less than 24 hrs. The verdict: allot of appologies. There was a problem getting some of the parts needed through customs to build the TRE's so they were very back ordered. Problem is solved and orders will start shipping out again. The employee at adaptive performance wasn't responding to anyone and has been recently fired. They said everyone who has an order placed will be getting their TRE's shortly! Hope its true but was glad to get a quick responce with some answers. Good luck!
I have waited over a month, and never recieved my part,response, or an credit. Good luck to you with this company...he was ask to respond back to Paypal as well as the BBB, again he chose not to respond....this is not a company that I would ever give a second chance, there are other reputable companies to choose from, don't hold your breath with this crook!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
iM WITH YA EAST NO ACTION EVER TAKEN BY THE SELLER. nOW THATS HOW TO FUN A BUSINESS. MAYBE WE OUGHT TO BUMP THE ORGINAL EVERY DAY TO LET ALL NEWERE BUYERS KNOW BEFOR ORDERING.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I ordered one a few weeks ago and then read all the post about how no one was getting there orders shipped to them. So Im just going to hold out a few more weeks and hope for the best.

But I do have another Question about the TRE? I just have a Stock M109R as far as Engine mods go, and Im wondering if this device will do anything at all to help with throttle response? Or am I just fooling myself :dontknow:

what does this device really do?

Scrubdude Aka Chris

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Blaaaaa Blaaaaa Blaaaa.

What kind of dumb a$$ would do business with a non responsive company after reading all the horror stories.

Talk is really cheap. You can't blame the help for the companies problems

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I would still demand a refund. Parts through customs :dontknow:. There is nothing to a TRE. You can actually make one yourself with parts from any RadioShack. Sounds like a crock of chit to me. But spend your money where you like.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,036 Posts
But I do have another Question about the TRE? I just have a Stock M109R as far as Engine mods go, and Im wondering if this device will do anything at all to help with throttle response? Or am I just fooling myself :dontknow:

what does this device really do?

Scrubdude Aka Chris
The stock timing is slightly retarded in 1st through 3rd gears to supposedly make the bike more rideable. It also has a rev limiter in 5th gear at around 6500 rpm to limit the top speed. A TRE fools it into thinking it's always in 4th gear, so you get back the timing in 1st through 3rd gear and the 6500 rpm limiter in 5th is raised to the same it is in the other gears.

It does make a stock bike smoother to ride. You might not notice it so much when you install it if you expect miracles, but run it for a while then take it off. For some reason removing it seems to make the difference it made more noticeable, at least to me, than adding it did.

I have the GiPro and you can turn the TRE function off and just use it as a gear indicator. It makes enough difference that when I switch it off I can tell it. BTW, TRE stands for Timing Retard Eliminator. These devices are actually ATRE's, with the A being Automatic. The older style TRE's kept the timing advance even in neutral, which made them idle faster. The ATRE's sense neutral and let the bike keep the stock timing and normal idle speed. When they go bad you can tell it because they idle too fast in neutral.

It's also a misnomer to say the timing is actually retarded. The timing is still advanced, just not as much as it is with the TRE installed. More ignition advance generally means more power, as long as you don't get pinging or preignition. That's why some have to go to colder plugs afterward, the bike may ping with the TRE installed.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Why not just get a JSD from DLP or even just step up and get a GI-Pro? :dontknow:
It's been my experience the JSD is no better than the AP. He might have better luck getting one though. I'd just recommend to skip them both and go directly to a GiPro.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good News!!!!!!

I have good news about AP and Marlow. I received a refund from Paypal :clap2: last evening, never a contact from him or the company, or an apology. Apparently, nothing has changed in the last few days. Good luck to all who are still on the hook with him. But you will get your refund from Paypal if you push for it. Vin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I too have good news!!! I just received my Shipping comp from USPS and mine is on the way!!!

So he must of cleared up his back log and is shipping product again.

Thanks ZOOM for your Info on the TRE, I was not sure if it's a good mod or not but for the 40 bucks will give it a shot and If I don't like the results take it off.

Scrubdude

·
Registered
75 Posts
NO PHONE NUMBER, NO SALE, If they could be reached by phone then they probally would have been aware of the employee not responding to e mails, IF you actually beleive there story...AGAIN NO PHONE,NO SALE !!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Good clarification, zoom, I agree with you 100%.

The feel of the bike in gears 1 - 3 is a subjective thing. I found that after comparing with and w/o the TRE I actually prefer the feel of the stock timing on gears 1-3 (twitchiness and all). What I would like is something that would just remove the rev limiter in 5th gear...

The stock timing is slightly retarded in 1st through 3rd gears to supposedly make the bike more rideable. It also has a rev limiter in 5th gear at around 6500 rpm to limit the top speed. A TRE fools it into thinking it's always in 4th gear, so you get back the timing in 1st through 3rd gear and the 6500 rpm limiter in 5th is raised to the same it is in the other gears.

It does make a stock bike smoother to ride. You might not notice it so much when you install it if you expect miracles, but run it for a while then take it off. For some reason removing it seems to make the difference it made more noticeable, at least to me, than adding it did.

I have the GiPro and you can turn the TRE function off and just use it as a gear indicator. It makes enough difference that when I switch it off I can tell it. BTW, TRE stands for Timing Retard Eliminator. These devices are actually ATRE's, with the A being Automatic. The older style TRE's kept the timing advance even in neutral, which made them idle faster. The ATRE's sense neutral and let the bike keep the stock timing and normal idle speed. When they go bad you can tell it because they idle too fast in neutral.

It's also a misnomer to say the timing is actually retarded. The timing is still advanced, just not as much as it is with the TRE installed. More ignition advance generally means more power, as long as you don't get pinging or preignition. That's why some have to go to colder plugs afterward, the bike may ping with the TRE installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts