M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an 09 and the heat shield on the lower pipe is confusing! how did you seperate the small piece from the long piece? it is glued at the seem or something, do i just cut it apart with a disc or soak it with gas?:dontknow: prefer to seperate without cutting!!!!dont want to use the chrome door trim stuff.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i have an 09 and the heat shield on the lower pipe is confusing! how did you seperate the small piece from the long piece? it is glued at the seem or something, do i just cut it apart with a disc or soak it with gas?:dontknow: prefer to seperate without cutting!!!!dont want to use the chrome door trim stuff.
2008 models and newer have a slightly different exhaust than the earlier models. the area that you describe is tacked on and will require you to cut through it. not a big deal really. i had to do it and have had no problems after the install.

good luck and post pics of your mod after your done. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
In addition to reading the addendum, you will need to cut and grind down the lower shroud to the overlap point. I even angled it on the inside so that you couldnt see the overlap at all. (ps, it's tack welded so just using solvent won't do it)

problem #2- when you finally get it installed, you will notice immediately that the shroud fits very loosely as it is held only by the one remaining attachment arm. To correct this situation, gently bend the remaining arm upwards SLIGHTLY. This will cause the shroud to sit tightly against the pipe, and you won't have to use the door trim, which looks bad in my opinion.

I did this procedure on my bike, and it looks great. It looks welded on, since it fits so snug to the other pieces.

Good luck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks canadianm109r thats exactly what i needed:bigthumbsup: will post pics when all is said and done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts