M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting new wheels and tires for my Hummer.

They are 35" and according to Dynobead's site, they take 10oz each.

They do not sell a 40oz bag, so you are left buying 4 10oz bags at $40 each.

I love the dynobeads in my bike, but just wanted to see if anyone had feedback on a much larger application.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Yeah, they work great. I seem to remember paying $35 for a 20 oz. bag, the next largest is like 4o lb.s :eek:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Check at a 18 wheeler tire shop. Lots of OTR truckers use them.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check at a 18 wheeler tire shop. Lots of OTR truckers use them.
Great idea.

Any idea how I go about finding such a tire shop?

Seriously, I have never looked for 18 wheeler tires, so I do not even know where to start.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Great idea.

Seriously, I have never looked for 18 wheeler tires, so I do not even know where to start.
Look for truck stops. I would think they would work great. I was going to put them in my car, but they have air pressure monitor system stems and I opted not to put them in there for fear of damaging them. If you want to go this route, let me know, I might know of a hook up.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,077 Posts
Check ebay, search for dyna beads. I bought 14 oz for $20 shipped, and I think the seller will do larger quantities. They are slightly smaller in diameter than the real Dyna Beads, but they work the same.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Great idea.

Try finding a big truck stop on I-76, most of them should have at least a basic shop for tires and other items. Also if you have a Jeep enthusiast shop in your area you could check there also. There is a Jeep shop close to where I live that sells dyna-beads in large bags (unsure of actual weight). The guy that works there says that he sells so much because of the guys that run 44's put in dyna beads so that they can drive to the trail instead of trailer their rig.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Look for truck stops. I would think they would work great. I was going to put them in my car, but they have air pressure monitor system stems and I opted not to put them in there for fear of damaging them. If you want to go this route, let me know, I might know of a hook up.
Just an FYI, I have TMPS on my C14 and my dyna beads have had no ill effects. I just make sure to not have my valve stem at the 6 o'clock position if I have to take some air out of a tire so that no ceramic balls get can get stuck in the valve.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, interesting thought SR... I know i have a bear of a time keeping my 35's balanced .... I may try the beads in my as well... :bigthumbsup:
Yeah, my wife decided she hated my stock wheels and tires so she is getting me chrome 20"'ers and Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's

I think it was her way of stopping me from doing the 3" leveling kit lift to fit 37"'ers on there, but the ATZ's make up for the extra 2".

The stock tires work out to like 34.4" and yeah, keeping them ballance was always a biatch.

So, with that, plus not wanting weights showing on the chrome wheels, I am thinking beads is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Here's an interesting thread on jeepforums.com on using balancing beads on large tires. They've tried several options and have some good discussions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/beads-balance-tires-297708/

Might watch what you try if you have a TPMS on your ride.
Thanks for finding this Zoom, I just put 35s on my jeep and was wondering about the tire spinning slightly on the rim and losing balance when I air down for off road. Interesting to see some using BBs but I would think they'ed have to be installed tire off (might be a little hard to get BBs through the valve stem). I had the tire shop put rim weights on mine but when they start shaking I'll switch to beads. I've also heard of truckers putting golf balls in their giant tires and off roaders using sand in the tires back in the day.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

Can I use your product with my Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)?
All TPMS sensors that thread onto the valve stem, such as the Pressure Pro, will require a valve stem that accepts our filtered valve core.

Note: If your wheels have a TPMS system that is an integral part of the valve stem, Dyna Beads will not cause any problems, but you must install the beads directly into the tire. (not with an Applicator) See examples here

lots of info at the link above.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i ran balancing beads in 31" mudders on my tacoma and 35" Mickey Thompsons MTZ's on my Ram and really liked them

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys.

This forum rocks, even if the question is not about the 9:bigthumbsup:

(if this ends up posting twice, this is a repost as the first attempt did not show in the thread)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Put them in a couple of weeks ago and no problems. I went to the dyne bead web site and it had a way of looking up local distributors in your area. Found two bike shops close by that carried them here.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
dyno beads

Theres a guy around here thats running them in his hummer,with the big wheels and he raves about them,says hell never switch back...recall him saying he put a bag in each tire when they were mounted....can't recall the size though...if i run into him this weekend will ask..

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Little update. Turns out I need to be in a little bigger hurry to find dynabeads than I thought.

Turns out my wife can still mislead me when she wants to.

Today we were out running some errands, getting ready to host my niece's 7th birthday party. The wife had me stop at Pep Boys to show her in the speed shop books exactly the tire I wanted and size I needed, so she could get the exact numbers to get it right when she ordered them.

So, we get there and in the window, they have the Mickey Thompson ATZs mounted on a black an polished contrast wheel that was always my first choice, but not in my wife's top 5 as they were not chrome.

We walk in and the tires are even the right size, 35x12.5x20. So I tell her, 'that is the exact tire right there'.

So, she asks, 'aren't those the wheels that were your first choice?'

Maybe I am a little slow, but I responded, 'yes, but I would need the 8 lug and the odds of the display being what I need are slim'

She says, 'I'm counting 8 holes. Isn't that what you need?'

She's right, so now I am suspicious.

The speed shop guy walks up to her and asks if they look as good as in the book.

I'll give her credit, I was duped. Now I just need to lose the stick on weights and get dynabeads in through the stems.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Cool, but it doesn't look like you'll be doing much off roading in that thing ;). If you haven't used beads before get the applicator bottle. I think it holds 5 oz. and I used an engraving tool to rattle them in but I suspect an electric toothbrush would work just as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts