M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Lots of people here have tried that. That and the Dunlop 250, which is actually bigger than the Metzeler, were the two Go-To tires here for many years.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
You might want to shop around a bit though.
That price is way too high.
You can get the same exact tire from Dennis Kirk for just over $200.........and they have 10 in stock right now, so it would ship same day you order.
Dennis Kirk also carries other model Metzeler tires as well as lots of other brand motor tires.

BCS

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
That's not far behind what I paid for my Metzeler 280.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am running the 260 Metzler right now. I think I have 5000 miles on it. Great cornering tire. Straight line seems greasy when cold, but warm it up, it is a great tire. I want to try the Avon next time around. I like the looks of the Cobra Chrome, but I can't see it being better than the Metzler.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,901 Posts
The Metzler is a little wider, but also consider an Avon. They are very good tires, too, and because of the dual compounds used, they will last a bit longer than the Metz.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I see you are in Canada. I would suggest checking out Fortnine or Pete's Superbike. Pete's may be a bit cheaper but they charge for shipping. Fortnine ships free with orders over $50. Your dealer will likely price match Fortnine, but probably not Pete's.

I have this tire in the 260/40R18 and I love it.

The 888 is out of stock at Fortnine

I wouldn't bother shipping a tire from the US because of duty, taxes and extra shipping charges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Everyone, I got a nail in my rear tire and I`m not sure if fixing it will be safe (use a plug) or better replace. The tire still in good shape...The nail Is right in the middle as it shows up on the picture. .Im about to take the nail out and put a plug in....Any suggestions??...THANK YOU

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Hi Everyone, I got a nail in my rear tire and I`m not sure if fixing it will be safe (use a plug) or better replace. The tire still in good shape...The nail Is right in the middle as it shows up on the picture. .Im about to take the nail out and put a plug in....Any suggestions??...THANK YOU
I've plugged multiple motorcycle tires and have never had a single issue with it. As long as it's in the tread area I don't have a problem with it. Some will differ with that opinion. :)

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I've plugged multiple motorcycle tires and have never had a single issue with it. As long as it's in the tread area I don't have a problem with it. Some will differ with that opinion. :)
I have too. Cars and trucks as well. I used to use Fix-A-Flat when I did it. Don't even do that anymore. Put the tubeless tire repair in it, inflate it and GO! I've done it as far back as the early 80's. Never had a problem. Will do it again if necessary, no problemo!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I actually just got one in almost the exact same spot on my rear tire. Was told by my local motorcycle shop never plug but I researched it and found many who had with no issues. I had lots of life left in the tire so I decided to plug it and see. I've been riding on it for 2 years now with it plugged and all is good. I'd say plug it and forget it.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
One time, when I was still riding a Yamaha Fazer, I got a nail in a brand new tire while riding home from the dealer. Seriously think I'm going to buy another new tire? Really? Bwahaha! Plugged it and rode it til there was no tread left. It maintained tire pressure throughout. Never had to top it off. It was a Metzeler iirc. The Metzeler 280 on the back of my Nine now, I've never had to add air. It's maintained 42 psi for three years now. Same with the 140 front. I wonder if the shop uses Nitrogen?

·
Registered
196 Posts
One time, when I was still riding a Yamaha Fazer, I got a nail in a brand new tire while riding home from the dealer. Seriously think I'm going to buy another new tire? Really? Bwahaha! Plugged it and rode it til there was no tread left. It maintained tire pressure throughout. Never had to top it off. It was a Metzeler iirc. The Metzeler 280 on the back of my Nine now, I've never had to add air. It's maintained 42 psi for three years now. Same with the 140 front. I wonder if the shop uses Nitrogen?
Air is 78% nitrogen , but contains moisture as well. Moisture causes greater temperature pressure rise. Rubber is porous , so tires and tubes do lose pressure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great feedback everyone. I appreciate it !!.. I use plugs in my two vehicles all the time for the past 10 years, never had issues with them, however for this particular issue with my motorcycle the other rides told me not to plug it, they said motorcycle tires are different as far as using the plugs vs using them on regular tires on cars. This is a new experience for me with my bike on this issue with nails....so I was debating on plug it or not. My bike is a 2007 and this is the original tire, I only have 3560 miles on it. So I`m only debating because for a 14 years old tire, it might be a good time to replace it BUT the tire, as you can see on the picture, has a lot of life left...

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
If you've had that tire on it for 14 years, I would definitely forget plugging it and go for a new one. I don't like tires more than 10 years old even if they are stored inside. I'd actually worry more about the age of the tire than whether to plug it or not.

Is the front tire the original too? If so I would change it too.

The ride you'll get with a new tires will be a noticeable difference too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great!! Well taken. I will replace both. Again, I like plugs but the age of the tire is what concern me the most. In fact, I wasnt planning on replacing the front one, however now that you mentioned it, I can feel a weird vibration sometimes when I`m a bit over 40-50 miles. At some point I was thinking the shocks were the problem but I think replacing the front one will give me a smooth ride for sure. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
The stock front tires wear weirdly. My stock front tire cupped rather badly, even though I always kept it at 42 psi. Not one of the aftermarket tires I put on the bike wore like that. Dunlop Elite IIIs for the most part and Metzelers on the bike now. If you look at it closely, you'll likely see erratic wear on the front tire. So yeah, DITCH EM!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you!!.. Definetely in the process to replace both tires. I found this for rear tire, I don't think is bad. There is a video on youtube from a guy with good feedback on this tires.

Avon Tire Cobra Chrome Rear Tire (250/40R-18) on amazon ($240)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts