M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount something like this but it appears that to mount to our axle bolt that this thing should have a sort of a recessed cup that goes into the drive shaft housing, since our axle bolt is recessed into the housing. If this thing butts up against the housing then the axle goes through the hole in this mount, it would appear that the axle would need to be about 1" longer than it is now since the axle would no longer be able to go "inside" the rear housing. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ummm, can you address my questions about the axle length please? Also do the wires come through the bolt hole? If so don't they get pinched? I assume you ran them down the inside of the drive shaft, right? How hard was the install? And what do you mean by "I could have flipped it over"?? Details Perry, details!!! :2cool: :2cool: :2cool:
I basically would like a closeup photo taken from the left side of the bike so I can the install better.
Thanks!!

Edit: Oh sure, NOW you go back and edit your response. :a20:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Perry,
I'll take a closer look at my bike and see if I can figure out what you did. Still would like a side view pic though if possible. PM it to me if you want. Thanks again bro, it looks great!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

G

·
A few weeks back Lamont was showing a prototype photo of that plate with a complete hardware set up. I believe that in a week or so(?) it will be out if I remember correctly. I think it is going to mount to the unused shock threaded hole that Perry is talking about.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy chit Batman, that looks awesome!! I don't have access to a welder though so I may just have to find a chrome headed bolt that will look OK. I may also just wait a week or so too and see what Lamont comes out with if he sells it as a kit like Bruno says. I hate jumping the gun only to find a better solution has come out a month later.

Lamont, can you confirm please? Thanks a million for the excellent pics Perry!! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
You asked what was meant about turning it around. Basically, you can unbolt the plate from the arm and then bolt it back on upside down. This will tuck the plate in closer to the wheel so it doesn't stick out as far. It will also put the brake light on the bottom. My only issue is there is no way to really wire it in clean. No offense to PPRidgens job, but that wire really messes up the clean look of the rear. He did the best he could, and made it look as clean as possible, but there is still a wire running along the hub. If I do this mod, I will just do it without a lighted plate and figure a way to shine a LED light down on the plate from the fender.

·
Registered
53 Posts
BlackCherry said:
Holy chit Batman, that looks awesome!! I don't have access to a welder though so I may just have to find a chrome headed bolt that will look OK. I may also just wait a week or so too and see what Lamont comes out with if he sells it as a kit like Bruno says. I hate jumping the gun only to find a better solution has come out a month later.

Lamont, can you confirm please? Thanks a million for the excellent pics Perry!! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Real soon.....

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I'm not in for a ticket for no tag light right yet. It also has a running light and brake light built in. Just FYI :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Oh I agree. i don't want a ticket either, that's why I said I would consider a way to light the tag from somewhere in the fender well. I like the running light and brake light option... just not the visible wire that has to be run along the hub before it can be tucked behind the drive shaft. Like I said, I wasn't saying you did a bad job of it.... just the opposite. You did the best that I know could be done to the wires...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I may ask, what plate is that? Is it lighted, thanks in advance.

ITguy said:
Here is what turning the plate upside down does:
Notice how the arm is closer to the outside of the plate. It brings it closer to the hub. This is the same exact plate but I removed the brake light. Haven't gotten around to it yet but plan on placing some white LED's under the fender pointed down on the plate.

The bolt is a m16 1.5 pitch roughly 50-60mm in length. Fastenal was the only place I could find one. Only other item used was a 16mm ss washer. No welding and hasn't moved since installation.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ITGuy, (I'm one too)
I think it looks much better flipped over and hugging the wheel more. Too bad you can't have the taillight at the top still. That light is very important to me so I'll likely mount it right side up so I don't have to worry about mounting lights to the inside of my fender. I kinda like having an extra brake light as well! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
BlackCherry said:
Thanks ITGuy, (I'm one too)
I think it looks much better flipped over and hugging the wheel more. Too bad you can't have the taillight at the top still. That light is very important to me so I'll likely mount it right side up so I don't have to worry about mounting lights to the inside of my fender. I kinda like having an extra brake light as well! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
You can flip it over and still run the light. You don't have to remove the light, and it will still light the plate from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I realize that, but it wouldn't look right having the brake light at the bottom of the plate instead of the top, would it? I would think it would be less noticeable. Hmmm, but since it's not my ONLY brake light, maybe it won't really matter. Lemme think about it and see how it looks once I have it mounted. Thanks for the virtual "slap in the back of the head". :joke: :doorag:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts