M109 Riders banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads talking about their availability, but not that anyone has tried them yet.

I had run the Pirelli Night Dragons on my previous 109 and was really happy with them. I am considering the Cobras because I'd like to go with the 260 to get a little more height in the rear. Looks like the tire will provide better dry straight line traction due to less grooves in the center of the tire than the previous Cobra tire. I'm interested to see what the opinions are on corner grip, as the Cobra Chrome looks very similar to the Cobra with regard to the grooves at the edge of the tire. Is it better, worse, or unchanged from the previous Cobra tire?

With all the good reviews on the previous Cobra tires, I was pretty much set to try them when I change tires. Now with the tread pattern/design being a little different on the Cobra Chrome, I am back on the fence. My main concern is having a sticky tire, not longevity.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I've got the Cobra Chrome on my front 21" wheel. I was going to get the matching 260 for the rear but was told not available until May. I've only put on about 200 miles so far.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been trying to get the cobra chrome 260 myself not available in england yet either they keep putting the date back always run the cobra but havnt tried the chrome yet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've installed the front tire and awaiting the rear 280. There is a different feel to the new Avon verse the old. It corners a lot easier. Shouldn't make a difference but there is a difference.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
160/250 Avon CC's here (not a fan of the 260/40 geometry vs. stock) but only been on it for about 5mins to drive it home from the shop! Its been snowing or cold or raining (AND cold) just about every day since... and now my extended forecast shows rain basically every day for 10 days. Gah.

So... I'm wearing them... but still have no idea what they're like yet! Ha.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
160/250 Avon CC's here (not a fan of the 260/40 geometry vs. stock) but only been on it for about 5mins to drive it home from the shop! Its been snowing or cold or raining (AND cold) just about every day since... and now my extended forecast shows rain basically every day for 10 days. Gah.

What didn't you like about the geometry? The way the tire fit the stock rim, or the geometry change of the bike?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

What didn't you like about the geometry? The way the tire fit the stock rim, or the geometry change of the bike?
Hi Kratos.
I'm a victim of my numerical OCD.

A 250/40 is +1.2% larger in circumference and diameter from a stock 240/40, giving "-9 revolutions per mile".

A 260/40 is +2.3% and -19 rev/mi with an enormous +7.9% sidewall also - most tire references for cars suggest you stay within 2% of stock cir/dia dimensions for safety due to geometry/ratio reasons; I can only suspect this is even more important on a bike.

A 280/35 however (which I feel should be on a 10" rim but some ride it on stock) has nearly *identical* dimensions to stock, except of course for width: +0.4% cir/dia and -4 rev/mi.

So I am ok with a 250/40 but would actually prefer a 280/35 if I had a 10" rim to put it on. For the extra 5mm per side to go from 250 to 260, I am personally not comfortable with the altered geometry/ratios.

To each their own though - lots run a 260 just fine.

Images (which probably look like crap because they get super compressed for some reason when I post from my phone...) are from: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Put an Avon CC 250 on ~ 2 weeks ago. Have probably put about 400 miles on it thus far... so far very happy with it.

2019-03-29-16-48-20.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Kratos.
I'm a victim of my numerical OCD.

A 250/40 is +1.2% larger in circumference and diameter from a stock 240/40, giving "-9 revolutions per mile".

A 260/40 is +2.3% and -19 rev/mi with an enormous +7.9% sidewall also - most tire references for cars suggest you stay within 2% of stock cir/dia dimensions for safety due to geometry/ratio reasons; I can only suspect this is even more important on a bike.

A 280/35 however (which I feel should be on a 10" rim but some ride it on stock) has nearly *identical* dimensions to stock, except of course for width: +0.4% cir/dia and -4 rev/mi.

So I am ok with a 250/40 but would actually prefer a 280/35 if I had a 10" rim to put it on. For the extra 5mm per side to go from 250 to 260, I am personally not comfortable with the altered geometry/ratios.

To each their own though - lots run a 260 just fine.

Images (which probably look like crap because they get super compressed for some reason when I post from my phone...) are from: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
I completely understand. Coming from the sportbike world, I'm used to changing the rear tire size, going from a 190/50 to 190/55 to 200/55. I'm fine with it as long as fitting the tire meets the manufacturer specs, which it does for the 8.5" wheel of the 109. Cobra's specs say the tire is designed for an 8.5" - 9.5" wheel, so that gives me the warm fuzzy that it would be ok.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the pic Mythos, that tire looks pretty good. How much room do you have on either side before the tire would rub?
I hve run the 250 for a while now and there is plenty of room I am looking to try the 260 to see the difference and over here it is cheaper than the 250 :dontknow:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just fitted the 260/40 and 130/70 cobra chrome will be doing around 2000 miles on a trip to Spain starting this weekend will see how they perform.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just fitted the 260/40 and 130/70 cobra chrome will be doing around 2000 miles on a trip to Spain starting this weekend will see how they perform.
Nice! Hope all goes well on your trip. Will be interested to hear your evaluation of the Cobra Chromes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice! Hope all goes well on your trip. Will be interested to hear your evaluation of the Cobra Chromes.
On the couple of short runs that i have been on the 260 seems to tilt into bends and curves so easy no effort at all will post my thoughts after the long ride :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
On the couple of short runs that i have been on the 260 seems to tilt into bends and curves so easy no effort at all will post my thoughts after the long ride :bigthumbsup:
It will do that as it bulges out and makes it more rounded. I've had nothing but the 260 on the back end since I got the bike 3 years ago. It actually measures close to a 250 but it lifts the back up end up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts