M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone test drive a Goldwing?

Test drove one over the weekend. That bike is much quicker that I would have imagined and handles very well considering it's size. Low center of gravity and very smooth. Stereo was also surprising. Hoped on an electra glide limited and that thing is very top heavy....hated it. Would really like a 2nd bike but wife will hear non of it....for now:evil:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Old mans bike, and I will never own one, even when I am an old man. I'll quit riding first.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old mans bike, and I will never own one, even when I am an old man. I'll quit riding first.
so you'd quit riding first before heading out with your wife and few other couples on a luxury liner of a motorcycle for a nice 500 mile weekend trip cranking the tunes with 1800cc at your wrist and every conceivable option at your fingertips. Ya that makes sense:joke:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
so you'd quit riding first before heading out with your wife and few other couples on a luxury liner of a motorcycle for a nice 500 mile weekend trip cranking the tunes with 1800cc at your wrist and every conceivable option at your fingertips. Ya that makes sense:joke:
I do not listen to tunes when I ride, I enjoy the sounds of a well-tuned bike over frikkin music. My wife rides her own bike, a M50 and enjoys it as much as I do.

We just got back from riding 3 days/600 miles around SE Oklahoma and SW Arkansas. It was a blast, and did not listen to a single "tune" the whole time! :eek:

I like my motorcycling to be pure bike riding, do not want all kinds of "options" at my fingertips. I can get them by jumping into my 2004 Ford Lightning.

So yes, I will quit riding long before I ever consider purchasing a two-wheeled four-wheeler.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I'd take a GW over any other long hauler made. Nothing can touch one in that dept, not a Harley, not a Victory, nothing....

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I'd take a GW over any other long hauler made. Nothing can touch one in that dept, not a Harley, not a Victory, nothing....
I agree with JD, you are not speaking from an intelligent stand point. the BMW LT and the Honda GW are very comparative long haulers.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've never been on a Goldwing.....but it seems like they are pretty powerful, did you find the acceleration acceptable??? I know it's not a Hayabusa but I've heard that they actually pull pretty hard.

Of course it's a long-haul touring bike but every time I look at one I can't help but imagine how easy it would be to stash a stealthy NOS bottle in one of those giant saddlebags hanging off the rear. Would be pretty fun to surprise sport bikes in the straight-aways!! ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hmmmmmm!

:bigthumbsup:
I have been wanting a gold wing for a long time now, I'd say for over 5 years. However, I needed to have a couple of fun bikes in the garage first. So now, when circumstances are right, the gold wing will be a part of my stable, of which I will be very proud to say, when the time comes that I own one!!!!!!!!!
:drool:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've been holding out for a couple of years now waiting to see the "New" Goldwing. Rumors say 2000cc and new look plus several new options including auto but that does not excite me. I just don't want to buy until I have had the option to evaluate the new wing.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never been on a Goldwing.....but it seems like they are pretty powerful, did you find the acceleration acceptable??? I know it's not a Hayabusa but I've heard that they actually pull pretty hard.

Of course it's a long-haul touring bike but every time I look at one I can't help but imagine how easy it would be to stash a stealthy NOS bottle in one of those giant saddlebags hanging off the rear. Would be pretty fun to surprise sport bikes in the straight-aways!! ;)
Like you said it's no Busa, but the power really surprised me. NOS :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an 08 Goldwing and like it very much for long trips.
Good to know. The one I drove was an 08. Sweeet machine. Hate when I get like this. I'm now imagining it sitting between my Polaris quads and sled. Not good:eek:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an 08 Goldwing and like it very much for long trips.
WOW, you've got some cool rides... very jealous I am...Of course I'll be showing this comprehensive list to my wife:bigthumbsup:
08 Suzuki M109R Limited, 08 Honda Goldwing, 06 Suzuki Hayabusa Limited, 05 American Iron Horse Texas Chopper.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have rented Goldwings a couple of times.

It keeps the wife happy and is a surprisingly capable bike.

I would take one as a second bike for sure.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My husband has a 09 Harley Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic. He rode from Delaware to Cal and back in 10 days. little over 6400 miles and said he had no issues. Loved every minute... This is his 3rd Ultra 2nd Screaming Eagle and couldn't pay him enough money to get a goldwing....maybe later in life....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Screaming Eagle?

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony of a bike named Screaming Eagle that sounds like a thrid world taxi with the mufflers rusted off.
How about a Hollering Vulture or Yelling Hawk.........I dunno, I'd just be embarrassed to say I have a Screaming Eagle anything. Especially if it was slower than just about any other motorcycle.
I've ridden my buddies Goldwing. A very nice machine. Has a real quality feel to it. But, I hated the scrunched up seating position. It felt like I was sitting in a little kids chair. I had to really try to get my toe under the shift lever, felt awkward. I hated all the bulk in front of me, where's the front tire? Not for me.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts