M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm yet to see a Uni-Go on an M109R, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have...or are towing one now. Here's a pic, so you know what I'm talking about:

http://www.dualsporttouring.com/VFR_Unigo3and4.jpg

http://robertmoseley.netfirms.com/img/VB_HD_UNIGO.jpg

http://www.burgmanusa.com/gallery/d/34304-2/unigo.jpg

I Just bought an M109R myself, in Brisbane, Australia...and am about to start using a black, "classic" model Uni-Go, behind it.

Anyway, if any of you guys have seen or are towing one already, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,
David
Brisbane, Australia

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.:congrats: on he new bike. I was looking at the same trailers earlier in the day. I'm not one for towing a trailer, but I'd rather pull a trailer, then to put saddlebags on my bike. The cool thing about this trailer. It can be taken into your hotel room while traveling. It's not that large and I like the way it tracks behind the bike.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, and the comments

:welcome: to the forum.:congrats: on he new bike. I was looking at the same trailers earlier in the day. I'm not one for towing a trailer, but I'd rather pull a trailer, then to put saddlebags on my bike. The cool thing about this trailer. It can be taken into your hotel room while traveling. It's not that large and I like the way it tracks behind the bike.
I agree with you. I think panniers and saddlebags detract from the look of the bike, and add clutter. That's one of reasons why I choose to tow a trailer. I've never towed a conventional two-wheeled trailer, so I can't comment on that at all, but in regards to Uni-Go....and I imagine virtually any other single-wheeled trailer (of which there are numerous other types I am aware of)...it allows me to ride the way I always do, still lane-split, still drag the pegs and spar with the lads through the twisties, and a range of other things...while giving me all the extra cargo space I want. The trade-offs are virtually non-existent, while I get the benefit of being able to haul plenty more gear. I'm not one of those guys who wants to carry everything but the kitchen sink...and in comparison to the guys who want to haul campers, I travel pretty light. "Horses for courses" I think... Anyway, I just wondered if any of you guys were towing a Uni-Go, or had seen an M109R towing one at all...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Nice trailer.....here is a video of it in action:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I've never towed a conventional two-wheeled trailer, so I can't comment on that at all, but in regards to Uni-Go....and I imagine virtually any other single-wheeled trailer (of which there are numerous other types I am aware of)...it allows me to ride the way I always do, still lane-split, still drag the pegs and spar with the lads through the twisties, and a range of other things...while giving me all the extra cargo space I want. The trade-offs are virtually non-existent, while I get the benefit of being able to haul plenty more gear. I'm not one of those guys who wants to carry everything but the kitchen sink...and in comparison to the guys who want to haul campers, I travel pretty light. "Horses for courses" I think... Anyway, I just wondered if any of you guys were towing a Uni-Go, or had seen an M109R towing one at all...
Lamont's trailer is a "BushTec",,, do some research on it and their patented hitch system :bigthumbsup: he PASSES people in the twisties with his :doorag:

oh,,, by the way, his is speed rated to 155mph! 8)

BushTec trailers are the best of the best.

However, based on where ya live what your looking at is your best bet. I cannot imagine what the BushTec would cost with the exchange rates/shipping/etc.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cornering Performance

Lamont's trailer is a "BushTec",,, do some research on it and their patented hitch system :bigthumbsup: he PASSES people in the twisties with his :doorag:

oh,,, by the way, his is speed rated to 155mph! 8)

BushTec trailers are the best of the best.

However, based on where ya live what your looking at is your best bet. I cannot imagine what the BushTec would cost with the exchange rates/shipping/etc.
The Bushtec is a very nice looking trailer...no doubt about that. If I were to purchase a two-wheeled trailer, that would most likely be my first choice also.

That said, in regards to high-speed stability and cornering, it's a complete "no brainer" that a properly set-up single-wheeled trailer has a distinct advantage over ANY two wheeled trailer, by simple virtue of the fact that it banks with the bike through the turns, rather than cornering flat and level, as any (conventional) two-wheeler is forced to. Two wheeled trailers certainly do have a distinct capacity advantage over single-wheeled trailers...there's no doubt about that... but in regards to outright performance, it's quite simply, a no contest. In 5 years towing a Uni-Go, I'm yet to see anyone towing ANY conventional trailer, be anything other than a mobile chicane to me, in the twisties, or on the straights. It's an unfair advantage...

In a head-to-head "Two-wheeler Vs Single-wheeled trailer" showdown, off the long, fast front straight of the Phillip Island circuit in Australia, and down into the blind, and blindingly fast, Turn One...I know who'd be going for the brakes first ...and it most certainly wouldn't be me. ;)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
if you have ever pulled a bushtec you will find out it dont slow you down in the turns at all- if you dont look in the mirror you wont know it's there - has a 360 hitch so when you stop your not holding it up with the bike or kickstand -and depending on the bike the mirror on the bike are the widest point - bought my 9 one year to soon or i would have had a yellow on -

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I had a Kawi 800 that I had a trailer for.

Currently looking for a hitch for my C109.

It is a 1 wheel trailer that is larger, and cheaper than than the uni.

http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/uni_mate_one_wheel_trailer.html

Take a look, i know it tracked well behind the old bike.
Cubic feet wise,,, It is not THAT much bigger, I understand function over looks but Iwould rather have a Uni-Go, and as far as I know the guy who bought the rights to Uni-Go is in Australia and is working on a unit for the nine with a option to get one with a cutout that matches our brake light so we can get one(a M109 taillight) and install it ourselves so it matches the bike

:a18:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
I think Bigpapa109 and Bikergranny have seen one...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,047 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Additional information

Cubic feet wise,,, It is not THAT much bigger, I understand function over looks but Iwould rather have a Uni-Go, and as far as I know the guy who bought the rights to Uni-Go is in Australia and is working on a unit for the nine with a option to get one with a cutout that matches our brake light so we can get one(a M109 taillight) and install it ourselves so it matches the bike

:a18:
We're actually developing an M109R Custom version, which will look like a Uni-Go, but which has a rear end that closely resembles the M109R's (except for that massive rear rim). It's very likely we will rebrand the trailers for the US market.

What we are currently developing will come complete with an M109R rear tail light, and will be available in either black or primer. Rim size will increase by 2" to 12", as opposed to the (original) Uni-Go's 10" rims. We're busy developing a few alternative hitches, which will be far better integrated in appearance than the Bushtec hitch. Thanks to the trailers adjustable drawbar height, we can position the hitch receiver higher than on conventional two wheeled trailers, allowing us to locate it just below the number plate on debeavered 9s. We should also not require the use of lower rail struts, featured on hitches by other manufacturers. We're striving to develop a hitch with a dropdown section carrying that receiver block, which can be readily detached from the bike....following discussions we've been having with members. Behind the scenes, we're busy preparing the M109R Custom version of the trailer. Stay tuned... as we'll have some pleasant surprises to announce in coming months.

- David
(Brisbane, Australia)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not yet...

I think Bigpapa109 and Bikergranny have seen one...
Sorry to have to advise you that they, as yet, have not. However, once the first of the M109R Custom version of the trailers is ready, they will be the first members of the M109Riders forum to obtain and be using one. Once they have one in their possession, and have towed and evaluated it, I'm sure they will be happy to share their thoughts in regard to it.

David
(Brisbane, Australia)

·
Registered
26 Posts
We're actually developing an M109R Custom version, which will look like a Uni-Go, but which has a rear end that closely resembles the M109R's (except for that massive rear rim). It's very likely we will rebrand the trailers for the US market.

What we are currently developing will come complete with an M109R rear tail light, and will be available in either black or primer. Rim size will increase by 2" to 12", as opposed to the (original) Uni-Go's 10" rims. We're busy developing a few alternative hitches, which will be far better integrated in appearance than the Bushtec hitch. Thanks to the trailers adjustable drawbar height, we can position the hitch receiver higher than on conventional two wheeled trailers, allowing us to locate it just below the number plate on debeavered 9s. We should also not require the use of lower rail struts, featured on hitches by other manufacturers. We're striving to develop a hitch with a dropdown section carrying that receiver block, which can be readily detached from the bike....following discussions we've been having with members. Behind the scenes, we're busy preparing the M109R Custom version of the trailer. Stay tuned... as we'll have some pleasant surprises to announce in coming months.

- David
(Brisbane, Australia)
You are developing a trailer hitch for the C109RT as well?

I have been looking around, and so far every one that I found was a denray.

These look like they attach to the rear fender, and as such you have to be VERY careful about your weight.

I have always thought that it would be much better to have most of the weight from the trailer attached to the frame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would depend on your state, but in MD you need to. You do not need to insure it because the bike covers it.
I just went through this in PA last year.
NOTE: This is for a kit build.

Here you have to have the following:
1 - Side reflectors
2 - Safety Chains
3 - You have to provide 4 photos - 1 from each side
4 - You have to have a "approved" weigh station weigh the thing (I think they are still laughing)
5 - It has to have a inspection (1 time to get the title)
6 - They charge you sales tax on it, even though it wasn't bought in this state!
7 - You have to provide them with detailed instuctions on how it was constructed.

I had to send the stuff in twice, because it got rejected, since the inspection station didn't tell me to put reflectors oin it.

Took about 1 1/2 months. What a pain!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Hey DCG,

I'm confused. You posted the link below. But now your asking if someone has seen one. (Unless of course if you mean in person then it makes perfect sense)

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111714&highlight=unigo

Anyway, here's the pics you posted with one on a 109. The others will be able to see it if they missed this thread.

Later,
Ben

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hitch-related

You are developing a trailer hitch for the C109RT as well? .
At this point we are squarely-focused on the M109R, and having not yet even looked at creating a hitch for the C109RT, I can't comment. If demand exists among owners to a significant degree, we will additionally look at the C109RT. Whether it is possible or not, remains to be seen.

.... I have always thought that it would be much better to have most of the weight from the trailer attached to the frame.[/quote]

Ideally, that would indeed be the way to go. Sadly though, most bike manufacturers look to remove weight and strength from the rear subframe of bikes, in their quest to reduce the overall weight of their bikes. The result is that a lot of bikes don't have enough strength back there to carry much extra weight, beyond a pillion and basic lugguage...hence the restrictions on how much panniers and other cargo carrying devices are permitted to carry.

In manhy cases, designing a hitch that adds strength and spreads the load to other points effectively, is necessary.

Attaching a trailer hitch in such a way that most of the weight from the trailer is transferred to the frame itself, and not the rear subframe, generally requires very long hitch members, which can reach from the hitch coupling's rearward point, right to forward of the rear wheel, to the rear of the main frame. Identifying a space in which they can be run, so as not to interfere with the wheel's full range of movement, nor the suspension and other components, can be very challenging...and often is not possible.

- David

1 - 20 of 25 Posts