M109 Rider Forums banner

anyone own heated motocycle jacket liner

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  m109anc 
#1 ·
Thinking of buying a jacket liner any advise? pros/cons?

#3 ·
oct and nov can get mighty cold in the dark Being prepared is half the battle LOL hey when your freeaing your ass off with frozen snot this year dont try to reach over and hijack my liner. Ill have to keep stoppingfor you to get some hot cocoa.

#12 · (Edited)
Heated Jacket

Last fall I went to a dealer asking about heated gloves & jackets. Mostly my hands suffered being in the direct wind stream.

I couldn't afford both at once, so I asked if I should buy the gloves first, or the jacket first. They recommended the jacket.

I'm glad I got the jacket.

The jacket heats your body core. Your heart then pumps warm blood to the extremities. So as it turns out, now I don't really need the gloves. (Don't need to wear leather chaps as often either.)

I purchased the Gerbing brand, which is in the form of an inner jacket that I wear underneath my leather motorcycle jacket. (The inner jacket like a light windbreaker, except that it has heating wires sewn inside the liner.) The inner jacket should fit snugly in order to avoid air gaps. It also has connectors in zippered pockets near the wrists, in case you buy their matching heated gloves later.

I find it very effective down to about 40 degrees. In fact, it's better to wear a T-shirt underneath, because the heat transfers to your body better than if you had worn layered clothing.

The other major benefit is that when you arrive at your destination, you're not having to cart around an extra 10 pounds of clothing under your arm.

On the inside of the jacket just above the waistband, and on the left side, is an electrical connection panel. With the included wiring & inline fuse, you can run the power wire through the narrow gap between the bike's left side panel and the padded seat, towards the bike's 12V battery.

There's also an inline connector jack midway between the jacket and battery, so that you can quickly & easily disconnect yourself when dismounting. A short length of wire is left hanging from from the bike after you park.

Gerbing has an optional thermostat control (roughly $100). It turns the heated jacket on/off automatically at the desired temperature.

I chose the manual lighted toggle switch (about $20). It hangs about 3 inches below the waistband near my left leg. It's accessable either while riding, or if you get too hot waiting in traffic, you can switch it off while sitting at light. You can reach down and turn it on again once you're back riding into the wind.

I'd have to say this is one of the best accessories that I've ever purchased for a motorcycle. It's extended my riding season by at least 3 months.

#14 ·
Late in the winter the wife and I bought the tourmaster version and they are the cat's meow, I wore them and road the Goldwing at 35 and its like wearing an electric blanket. I haven't wired the 109 yet but will soon because the bike is due the 11,000 mile service and I will do that when it in the shop. We chose the TM because they come with the controler and it doesn't cost extra like the other brands. We have the jacket liners and the pants liners and they are a little pricey but worth the money to extend the riding season, you won't be sorry if you buy!

#15 ·
I recently bought a jacket liner and a set of heated gloves Synergy tour master gloves both work perfect the liner has 2 options it has a mock collar and one more like a tshirt . I went with the mock collar to help with the neck to stay warm . I still have my gerbing G-3 gloves they also work great . With my new set up I will only need one controller to do both my Jacket and Gloves .

#16 ·
I ride a motorcycle five days a week for a living,
year-round. I purchased the Gerbing heated gear
after reading tons of articles and reviews on several
different manufacturers. Gerbing's gear cost a little
more than its competitors, but it was well worth it.

I got the heated insoles, heated pant liners, heated
jacket liner, and heated gloves. The lowest the temps
got this past winter were in the teens, and I was so
hot I had to keep the dial set at about halfway on the
optional temp controller mentioned above. The heated
clothing doesn't just have heated pads in them, only
warming up where the pads are. Every piece of their
clothing has Microwire throughout, heating every part
of the clothing. For instance, the gloves heat not only
your hand, but all the way to the tips of the fingers,
front side and back.

I would definitely say go with Gerbing. They are an
established company with outstanding customer
service, and their heating elements have a lifetime
warranty.

#17 ·
Like Lee, I too have the Synergy stuff from Tour Master. I have the gloves and the vest. They both work phenomenally. I have ridden in 20 degree weather and the only thing that got cold on me was my toes. They have independent thermostats that allow you to select low, medium, or high. I would HIGHLY recomend them.

#20 ·
I live in Seattle WA so you can I can tell you about riding in bad weather, I have the Gerbing heated Jacket and gloves and would never ever consider riding in spring or late fall without them!!!

Im also lucky because Gerbing is based out of WA state so you can just ride over and check out there stuff and get it custom fitted for your needs, They are great to deal with and will help you out with any Questions about wiring for your bike.

I've had my Jacket for several years now and Gerbing has stood behind there products at every turn, Also its what the SPD Motor cops where here and swear by it, and there out in the rain in muck a hell of alot more then Im willing to ride in.

Scrubdude

#21 ·
I have a keis heated vest and I dont know how I managed the winters without it.

No more michelin man with half a dozen layers of clothes under my leather jacket. I have the temperature controller and it makes a huge difference. On full power it does get too hot. I would only use the highest setting when it got down to the mid 30's. Tight fitting over a long sleeve t shirt is the way to go, it helps the heat transfer. Sometimes I will wear a light fleece jacket over the heated vest. In most cases though, its not necessary unless its really cold outside.
I bought the Keis heated insoles for my feet and they were great while they lasted. They eventually failed and I returned them for a full refund. As was said above, Apart from the other heated sections of the vest, theres a large heating pad in the kidney region, warming your kidneys and circulating warm blood around your body. I find my extremities dont get as cold when I'm wearing it.

I have mine wired into the bikes 12v electrics. There is a battery pack available but I prefer to use the bikes power.

I originally had a widder vest but I found it too rigid and not very comfortable.

#22 ·
Thanks guys I tried my friends harley jacket on today just to get a feel for it he says he loves it. One thing I was concerned about. Im going to order the liner jacket and gloves probley the gerbin but as i tried my buddys on i t fit nice so I looked at the size tag it was 2xL now I know i have gottten allitle more around the waist but wow im only 210 at 6ft Do all the companys run this small in size?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.