M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really didn't think about it too much until today.

The exhaust was really singing down the road. I thought to myself, 'Wow, it gotten a lot louder since new'. Guess the packing is burning down some.

G

·
Mine is somewhat louder too. I have also notice the engine is emitting louder noises now that I have a few miles on the 109. The louder exhaust is one reason that I have cancelled my order for pipes. At my age I don't need any tickets for loud pipes.

oldold

G

·
I drilled 9 1/2" holes around the outlet in each pipe. The bike is much louder. Not sure I like the sound so far, may have to go for pipes or plug the holes.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppridgen1 said:
yep , mine got much louder thanks to the 1and5/16 hole saw....It'll do till Lamont tests the pipes for us all
I'm not a big proponent of cutting on the bike for any reason. I would go as far as buying a extra set of pipes to play with before I cut on the originals.
Same with the LED turn signals and plate mods. If I can unbolt and put away, I'm cool. If I need to cut, gimmie a spare so I can return it to OEM when I sell it.

Just personal preference.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This has happened to the exhausts on my other two Boulevards as well.

You didn't mention your mileage, but starting around 3,000 miles give or take, you will notice a definite "mellowing" of the exhaust note. The sound will continue to change until about 10,000 or so. The Suzuki exhausts really break in nice, but it takes a while.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congo said:
I drilled 9 1/2" holes around the outlet in each pipe. The bike is much louder. Not sure I like the sound so far, may have to go for pipes or plug the holes.
Been there done that on a different bike. A tap, locktite and large set screws make a nice looking plug job.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted said:
This has happened to the exhausts on my other two Boulevards as well.

You didn't mention your mileage, but starting around 3,000 miles give or take, you will notice a definite "mellowing" of the exhaust note. The sound will continue to change until about 10,000 or so. The Suzuki exhausts really break in nice, but it takes a while.
LOL, I'm right at 750 miles and she's talkin.. I can only imagine what it will sound like at 3k..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Congo said:
I drilled 9 1/2" holes around the outlet in each pipe. The bike is much louder. Not sure I like the sound so far, may have to go for pipes or plug the holes.
how could you not like the sound of a mustang with flowmasters?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bad109 said:
how could you not like the sound of a mustang with flowmasters?
LOL, I have Flowmaster Deltas on my 02 Harley F150. This truck is loud when I want it to be...

I love setting off car alarms in the parking structures at the airport.. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing this weekend. It's definately louder. I realized that I really don't need aftermarket at this point - especially if I'm unsure of the power gains or sound. The only thing I don't like about mine (with 1/2 inch holes) is that it sounds puffy(?) at cruising speed and small throttle openings. HOWEVER, once past 2500-3000 and larger throttle openings/full-throttle the stockers sound absolutely badass - especially up against a median or wall. I love holding a gear a little longer and listening to the rap, like what has been described as a hot car with good mufflers

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing in the last few days.  Seems like she is quite a bit louder than new and i am only at about 800 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anybody tried to modify the baffles in the stock pipes other than drilling more holes in the end? I also wondered if anybody is making more power by drilling extra holes or does it just change the exhaust note? I don't want to drill a bunch of holes in mine and then decide I hate it. What the heck is the exhaust valve for? Do the aftermarket pipes have it or is even required?

·
Registered
25 Posts
well i,ll tell you . i cut out the hole thing and one baffle. i didint drill holes .and it sounds great,it sounds bad ass. my friend has  the same bike with stock pipes and he road mine and said it much faster then his with stock pipe

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just interested to know if any of you guys down here in Australia can tell me if the 109 stock pipes make any noise at all, as you know down here our noise pollution laws as most other things are very strict. I know my stock Oz Honda Sabre pipes were dead silent.
                     Â

1 - 17 of 17 Posts