M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for anyone that has installed a modified or custom built windshield for their 109. I'm looking for anyone that has put on a very small "Fly" type windscreen, and can share with me any thoughts, pictures, brand name or insite. Perhaps from a Victory bike or even a Harley.

I have a hard time thinking I have to put an oversize windshield onto my bike, that will take away the look of the bike, and judging from all the pictures I have seen of of the V-stream windshield, it appears to me that the large open area around the windshield frame and headlight nacelle, would allows a great deal of wind, or moisture to get by. I would think the manufacturer could have tighten up the tolerance to enable a better fit, that's far more appealing.

I not satisfied with anything I have seen, and intent to built some thing unique, yet functional.

Maybe a windscreen from Ducati would work. See photo.

Any our your ideas would be welcomed. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
I have a new National Cycle windscreen that I want to modify for mine, just for kicks. It's one of their DX model deflector screens. I had it in before getting the VStream and it buffeted my helmet too much, so I took it off. The VStream Tour is the 3rd shield I've had on mine and I've learned a few things from them. I want to cut the DX down and make something like a fly screen out of it.

You kind of need to make a choice on the protection you want. With the shield so far ahead, if you want something that keeps the wind off all of you then you need a really tall shield, something like the Rifle and maybe even an extended height version of that. To keep it just off your chest and keep your head up in free air, something shorter works. If you go to a mid height, they generally buffet your head a lot.

And having them close to the headlight is not always a good thing, I found that out on the VStream. My last mod pulled it down at the front very close to the headlight and elevated the rear. It wasn't as high as a Rifle, but about 4" taller than they can be raised with the stock brackets. I got rid of the buffeting but traded it for helmet lift. Air coming in below the shield would get under the helmet and literally lift it up. This was with a full face and you could alleviate it by lifting the shield a click or two. With a 3/4 it wasn't bad. By playing around with the height a little I found out that leaving a gap above the headlight still stopped the buffeting but stopped the helmet lift. My theory is the air flowing over the top of the shield creates a vacuum behind it, which pulls air in from below. The air coming in from below is what cause the helmet lift. Another solution to that would be to install lowers. But raising the shield a little let enough air in to neutralize the vacuum.

Anyway, just trying to share some of my experiences and hope it helps you. As the VStream comes it can be adjusted in height about 1 1/2", from touching the headlight to about 1 1/2" above it.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I used the F-15 from National Cycle. It's certainly not meant for the 9 but for a round headlight naked bike.

I had to some creative rebending (and repainting) of the brackets and drill/tap the handlebar risers but I'm happy with how it came out and it does what I need. It creates enough of a deadair space that I don't feel like a parachute in a windstorm.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I modified a M90R shield from the accessories catalog because I liked the way it looked. It came with two different size fork clamps to fit the tapered forks on the M90 (54mm and 50mm) but the M109 has a straight fork (54mm). So, I tried to order a set of the larger clamps from Suzuki with no such luck. They may be available today but they weren't back then. I had a machine shop reproduce them and ta-da! Kuryakan sells a bracket in 54mm i found out later.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I modified a M90R shield from the accessories catalog because I liked the way it looked. It came with two different size fork clamps to fit the tapered forks on the M90 (54mm and 50mm) but the M109 has a straight fork (54mm). So, I tried to order a set of the larger clamps from Suzuki with no such luck. They may be available today but they weren't back then. I had a machine shop reproduce them and ta-da! Kuryakan sells a bracket in 54mm i found out later.
i will like to see ur set up from different angles, post some pictures, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts