M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I shut my 109 off, after it is hot, and has been run for a while, I find it doesn't start well again. If I hold the starter button on a little longer it usually kicks over, but if I just press it once "like you would when it's cold" it may not always start. Seems when it's hot, it doesn't like to start as nice as when it is cold. Anyone else experience this with thiers?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, good to know. I just installed the JSD-3M last night, havn't been able to try it though. Can't really justify to my wife, why the bike started at 1:30am...
I'll let you know if this helps.
Thanks All

·
Registered
817 Posts
This has happened to me at least a half-dozen times, and NO, I wasn't loading the throttle. I don't think loading the throttle has anything to do with it at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have had this happen to me twice since I have owned the bike. I doubt that it is an issue with the bike being FI because I never had this issue with my last bike, a Boulevard C50.

So far it hassen't happened often enough to warrent a dealer trip but it is a scary to be at the gas station filling up and all the sudden you cant start it. The one thing that seemed to help was when this happens hit the kill switch and leave off for a minute or so then try again. That seemed to work for me but....::shug::

·
Registered
116 Posts
:(  Yeah, its happened to me a couple of times too.  As mentioned in an earlier post, after filling up with gas.  Hasn't happened enough for me to get concerned yet, but I am keeping my eye on it.  Always started on the second attempt, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes!
I just had this problem a couple of days ago.
We were waiting in traffic at the Border line up and I shut it off when it was my turn to show ID and it was almost like the battery was dead.

Strange!

I hope there is an explanation.
I don't crank the throttle so I hope to hear more.

Alan

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine turns over okay, and I don't get a sense that the battery is struggling or low. Mine just doesn't seem to like to catch when it's really hot. If I hold the starter button a little longer, it will usually grab. Otherwise the second time trying it always catch's.

G

·
Same problem here. I'm not loading up the throttle ::). My wife's ST1300 is fuel injected and pops off every time. Hot or Cold.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine coughed at me Thursday evening on the way home from work. Stopped for gas and on restart got a "huuuhhhh' when I hit the starter. It sounded so weird I waited a minute and hit it again, no problem this time (hand wasn't on the throttle). It was very humid !!! Strange sound, hope I don't hear it again!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I too have experienced this on a few occasions. Have any of you added the JSD fix to your 109's? If you have, have you noticed this any more? Just wondered if it was a timming issue or something when hot??? ::)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Chuck said:
I too have experienced this on a few occasions. Have any of you added the JSD fix to your 109's? If you have, have you noticed this any more? Just wondered if it was a timming issue or something when hot??? ::)
As close as I can guess, it seems like an engine compression issue. Most high-compression motors cannot be turned over with the starter alone. That's why they have decompression valves that let out some of the pressure and let the motor turn over easier. It's possible these are not working exactly right when the engine is warm. Anybody else think this makes sense?

By the way, if this is the issue, a JSD kit would not fix this.

G

·
Mines done it a few times,,kinda what I call a hot soaked starter,,where it kinda drags slow from the heat,,,or almost like it hydraulic-ed abit..or 2 much timing...

Yep,,,wanted makes sense to me... :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine does it. But it seems to happen if I try starting it after only letting it sit a few minutes (gas stop or other quick stop). Does not happen when the bike has been sitting for more than 20 or so minutes.

My bike was in the hot sun after a long ride. Sat for one hour. Started fine.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have experinced where, when hot it turns over fine but does not catch/stay running if I dont crack the throttle a little.
And it only happens maybe 10% of the time when it is hot. Actually I believe it has only happened when re fueling. Any other time I shut it off it is off for a little moore time than just getting fuel and it doesnt happen

Sledzep

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mine did it a few times.Heat and cold effect a secondary cell,which I suspect this is the problem.It has been a oven down here in South Miss,as everyware. I just put mine on trickle charge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I too have had this hot start problem when refuelling during a good ride. A few cranks and away she goes.
About 30 years ago I used to drive cop cars in the UK that were fuel injected. We used to carry water bottles to cool down the injection pumps to relieve vapour licks when we thrashed the motor. We thought at the time that the pumps were being overworked and genrated too much heat. never had to do thisd on the 109 though. Cheers for what its worth Phil

·
Registered
128 Posts
Once again well put JR.  :bigthumbsup:  Big V-Twins get a little fussy when hot.  High compression and advanced timing tends to make matters worse.  I am also not ruling out a bit of heat soak on the starter.  Put all that together and you can get issues from your bike from time to time when hot.  Cracking the throttle open 1/2 way is just about the only way to start it when this happens.  (or obviously let it cool down)  This is once again pretty common in the big bore cruiser arena.  My Busa and old VTX did it, my friends Warrior does it, as with another friends new Stratoliner.  I am not sure were the air temperature sensor is located on the M109 but relocating my Busa's seemed to help quite a bit.  (moved it further away from the motor and that seemed to reduced hot start trouble)  That might help things a bit here but I am not sure. 

1 - 20 of 21 Posts