M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go back to the stock set-up. I currently have hardkrome strippers and as I use my dog trailer more I want to go back to stock. The sound reverberates off the trailer and makes it too loud for both us and the dogs. I gave my stockers to a Canadian brother of ours, otherwise I'd still have my set-up. Let me know if you have your stockers that you don't want and we can work something out.

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hardkrome

Hi Nick, John here... My ride is still functionally stock with the exception of the headlight bulb and being debadged / decals removed. I've considered an aftermarket exhaust <several times now> and am so unsure due to all the comments of actually loosing power, excessive noise, problems with the local neighbors / law enforcement, etc. that I've still got things on hold since buying it in 2007. I see you are also going back to stock. What prompted you to by the Hardkrome, the particular system, and what was your experience (other than what you posted)? I was considering either the Hardkrom 2into1 Sideburners just for the looks, but understand they are 'LOUD'. I also saw a Honda VTX with Velocity Pro 2into1 the other day, but wasn't loud enough to make a switch from stock. I'm looking to get a nice rumble, sort of like a big-block V8 but not the deafening Harley excessively loud noise.

If you have another couple minutes, what are you thoughts and advice for me?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, welcome!

I had looked at a few exhaust systems two years ago before going with the hardkrome strippers. I had listened to a some audio clips online of different exhaust set-ups. I decided with the strippers as they had a good look that I liked and hardkrome guarantees their pipes not to "blue". They do this by having a two pipe set-up. There is a steel inner pipe with a chrome outer pipe surrounding it. The chrome pipe never gets too hot to actually discolor it. I like the set-up and love the sound. It is not aggressively loud like side-burners are known for. They aren't even as loud as the cobra swepts (my other choice). They have a nice bark to them when you get on it, but when you are low in the rpm's and cruising they just purr a bit. Another reason why I bought the strippes is that they looked to give the most ground clearance of any pipes. I dragged the stock exhaust multiple times in corners. I came for a sport bike and still ride aggressively. They did give me the clearance I was looking for which is a plus.

Other than pulling my trailer I have never had an issue with noise. Never had a complaint from my neighbors or the law. I could try to find some slide-on 90 degree tips to route the noise away from the trailer and I may end up doing that if noone has a stock set-up that they want to get rid of.

My suggestion to you would be to find a bike night local to you as see if there are any 9er's in the area. See what exhaust they have on it and start comparing. Figure out how much you want to spend on the mod (also will limit the list of pipes to buy), and what look you are going for. I actually like the looks of the stock pipes alot. If there aren't too many 9er's in the area start researching on good old youtube for exhaust clips. You can't always trust what you hear on there as some mics may be good and others may be bad. If you find you begin to like the looks of a certain pipe that has removable baffles, but don't like how loud it is; remember that you can most likely buy/make quieter baffles for the pipe to quiet it down.

Hope this helped a bit.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Hey Nick...... get the dog some ear muffs... :bigthumbsup: LOL No seriously I hope you find a stock set or maybe a sideburner, that might deflect the sound away..... or go with your slide on tips... Think that would be easy on easy off for when your not pullin the dog..... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have my whole stock set in the attic, 06 but they are gutted so louder than stock but not crazy loud
Thanks, Joe, but if I go through the trouble of putting it almost back to stock I'd try to find a stock or debaffled system. I bet the gutted is about as loud as the strippers are maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts