M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Folks, I've read some of the threads about adapting bags like the Tour Master Cortech sport bags to work on the 109 but from all I can gather you have to have the rear passenger seat on the bike in order for them to work without touching the pipes and such. I just don't like the looks of my 109 with the rear passenger seat on it...so I always have the rear seat cowling on it (my wife rides her own bike anyway so I really don't need a passenger seat). I went to a local shop last week that had the Tour Master bags in stock and tried to see if they would fit under the rear cowling but they won't due to the rubber stops under the cowling having to be locked into slots in the rear fender. I like the looks of the bolt on Suzuki leather saddle bags but the dealer says he has no idea when they will be released plus I think $400 plus another $90 for the supports is a little much for saddle bags IMHO. I had inquired with the Leather Lyke folks and they said they didn't think they'd offer bags from them for the 109 due to the high pipe on it and the bags having to be small in order for them to work. SO......any of you have any suggestions for bags that will work with the rear seat cowling on and that won't cost me a fortune?? I'd prefer some quick release type bags so I can take them off once I get to my destination on long trips.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Waltert,
I just PM'd you but here's the link to the bags I was refering to. http://store.dsrpowersports.com/cospsa.html
like I said they aren't big bags but ok for rides where you "need" to have some essentials. If you want bags for a long haul these have a tail bag, and with some very careful packing it might work. They may be too small for your needs. Good luck !

Devilish

·
Registered
890 Posts
I run the sport bag under the rear cover without touching the pipes. To make that work you need to reposition the straps, then it works just fine. I've got over 200 miles like that without issues, and I think they look better than most of the other bags out there. I'll send picks when I get a chance later.

Devilish

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DevilishEyes109 said:
I run the sport bag under the rear cover without touching the pipes. To make that work you need to reposition the straps, then it works just fine. I've got over 200 miles like that without issues, and I think they look better than most of the other bags out there. I'll send picks when I get a chance later.

Devilish
Cool, I appreciate the response...and I like I PM'd you back the Tour Master bags I tried at the local dealer were not the Cortech sport bags but the kind that zip off from the center support strap...and they wouldn't fit under the cowling because the center strap was too wide and thick to work unless you cut holes in the strap for the rubber stops that fit into the fender on the cowling.

Yes, post pictures if you will of the way you mounted them under the cowling so I can see how you did it. Again many thanks for the info. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
DLP/Kewl Metal will be having a rack that you attach to thier bungee buttons. Then you can throw the sportechs over that. Search on bungee button and bungee button rack. Big Joe has posted about it.

TAZ

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Waltert said:
Tour Master Cortech sport bags to work on the 109 but from all I can gather you have to have the rear passenger seat on the bike in order for them to work without touching the pipes and such.
Let me put that misconception to rest.Â

Thos pics are of my bike at stock height. I have since lowered the bike 2 1/2 inches, and they still have plenty of clearance. The only time I had clearance issues was when I mounted them 'under' the passenger seat. They started to rub on the wheel. Apparently they rested so low, they didn't have enough side support to keep the bags from rolling under the fender. Pipes have not been an issue.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
thats what I do Slep!!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
raw_taz said:
DLP/Kewl Metal will be having a rack that you attach to thier bungee buttons. Then you can throw the sportechs over that. Search on bungee button and bungee button rack. Big Joe has posted about it.

TAZ
I'll check the rack out when he gets them ready. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thos pics are of my bike at stock height. I have since lowered the bike 2 1/2 inches, and they still have plenty of clearance. The only time I had clearance issues was when I mounted them 'under' the passenger seat. They started to rub on the wheel. Apparently they rested so low, they didn't have enough side support to keep the bags from rolling under the fender. Pipes have not been an issue.

Yeah, I saw where I could mount the Tour Master bags over the cowling when I was checking them at the dealer....but my biggest concern is that over time dirt will get under the rubber pads on the straps and mar the paint on the cowling. So I'd prefer to mount them with the straps under the cowling...plus it gives you a little more peace of mind that someone can't just walk up and snatch the bags off without removing the seat and cowling to get them. I the end it's not like I'm trying to keep my 109 spotless cause it's a hopeless cause on a black bike but my wife had some similar bags as the Sport Techs on her black Mean Streak and even though she tried to be careful and keep the bike clean it still marred the paint on the rear fender over a years time using the bags.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sledzep01 said:
if none of this works pack it all on your wifes bike :bigthumbsup:
Ha! Ha! She has 50 lbs of clothes, makeup and hair products on her bike so where do you think I'm gonna put my one changing of clothes and 12 pack of beer? :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Waltert said:
Yeah, I saw where I could mount the Tour Master bags over the cowling when I was checking them at the dealer....but my biggest concern is that over time dirt will get under the rubber pads on the straps and mar the paint on the cowling.
True, but they are so easy to remove (less than 10 seconds), I just take them off until I need them. Then I make sure to brush off any dust/dirt that has gotten under it (very little) before mounting them back on. You will end up having issues if you mount them under the cowl, especially if you put anywhere close to the max 10 pounds in them. They will have a tendency to roll under the fender some and rub against the wheel. I like taking them off when I'm just cruising around, and don't want to have to remove the cowl each time I do this. That gets to be a pain in the arse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts