M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner put carbon fiber on the gas tank, around the tail light, and on the forks. Does anyone know to remove it safely without scratching chrome or paint?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I would be very very careful lifting that.. its most likely thick decal plastic with that super strong glue :mad:

·
Registered
838 Posts
if you are able to get that stuff off and have the sticky adhesive after. 3M has an adhesive remover. Works great. Used it when Idebadged mine. Got it at wal mart. Sure you can find it at parts stores.

Good luck with the removal

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
it's just like the emblems when you debadged, hair dryer and warm it up and slowly peel up as you go. there's the possibility that the paint color will be different under the parts that are on paint because of sun fading.

BTW, Looks way better with it on than it would off

·
Registered
948 Posts
I agree with BlkM109R... looks much better on then off. It is one of those things that I immediatley started getting compliments on when I put it on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just really don't like carbon fiber but I'll deal with it to avoid scratching or damaging anything. I plan on paint it anyway this upcoming winter so I guess I'll just wait till then. Thanks for all of the insight.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,526 Posts
It definitely comes off if you heat it up as was said. I bought one of those kits and installed the tank divider first just to see what it would look like. Didn't like it so I heated it up and pealed it back off. It's some tough adhesive but it does peal off, and mine left no residue behind. It's not a tape like the tank emblems use, just an adhesive like the M109R badges have on them.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
get a hairdryer and apply a little heat to it. Thats what I have done to remove decals and Labels.
:agree::agree::agree:
we took all that off my buddies with a hairdryer and then some 2 way solvent to remove the residue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.