M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes feel like there's a hesitation at the front end of first gear. When the RPM's get above 2000-2500, it seems to clear out.
Even if if I'm cruising along, and change gears where the RPMS's drop again below 2000 or 2500, I can sometimes feel it.
Most times my RPM's aren't that low, because I know the 109 doesn't like to be lugged. But I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this hesitatiion.
Can this be adjusted, is it lacking air or fuel or something?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Caunuk,

Try to remember two things. During the initial break in stage this is normal. Also the bike is tuned pretty lean from the factory to comply with EPA regs. This bike smooths out like warm butter the more you ride. You could also have oil in the left side air filter and air intake housing, which heppened to me, and the engine might not be getting all of the air it needs. Do a search on oil in the air cleaner, and good luck.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
this bike doesn't like to go below 3000 rpms unless you are cruising there to save gas (not getting on it at all). not that the engine doesn't have power there, it's just the way the bike's geared.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check the air intake, my oil has never come out of the air filter, like some others I've read about, but I will check it out.
I'm glad to hear it smooths out after break in. I'll hang tight and enjoy.
Thanks.
C.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppridgen1 said:
mine still surges slightly and i've got 3k on her
From what I understand - Surging, and hesitation are usually both caused by an endgine running too lean. I havn't checked the spark plugs yet to confirm, but I suspect the bike is a little too lean. Has anyone checked thier plugs to see if they are the ideal color.
Does anyone know how to adjust a fuel injected bike to make it a little richer. I suspect you would have to make changes to the air filter as well..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts