M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was pulling out onto a highway from a stop, as i got on the throttle and moved out into traffic, about 5 or 10 feet....nothing for some reason i lost everything, the bike didnt die out just the throttle did not give me any power....after about 2 seconds of fiddling with it..felt like an hour being that traffic was comming...it finally gave me the throttle back, it was almost like the bike died for a couple of seconds. never felt anything like it. so i continued home and changed my pants....

any thoughts? i only have about 1000 miles on it and service was done at about 700. any help would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no light, just loss of throttle , it worked for a couple of seconds then just died almost like it ran out of gas for a little, but then kicked right back in.

·
Registered
664 Posts
This is probably a silly statement/question.... but any possibility the run switch was not 100% into position and caused this?
It's the easyest thing i can think of.. (normally the simplest thing is the problem), either that or check the connections to your fuse box maybe....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes my brother bought me a bell when he came down. i dont know after it died i played with the throttle and when it did come back it made a loud pop(backfire almost sound) it was odd...maybe just a one time thing.

G

·
A bad or loose ground on your battery would act like that but you should of gotten a fi light.  Check the battery connections.

TAZ

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I don't think it was the kill switch. Although I've died at an intersection because my kill switch was partially engaged. Took me a minute to figure that one out.

Maybe I'm the only one that has this perception. I'm a blip the throttle kind of guy. I love the way this bike sounds and its mostly just habit. But in doing it a lot, it led me to a theory about the motor and it's design. At times when I blip the throttle - like at a stop light - the motor will just sort of hang and you lose throttle response. This is only sometimes, when your giving it just a quick on/off blip of the throttle. My theory is - it has something to do with the large oversquare bore of the pistons, and yet they are so low mass. There is next to no flywheel effect for these pistons. I think with short quick blips of the throttle, the engine is susceptible to back kick of the pistons. When this happens, I think things get out of sync, either with what the electronics are expecting or something mechanical.

Anyway. I have this happen somewhat frequently. I can blip the throttle a few times and then the bike can lose throttle response and act like it's going to die. In fact a few times, it has died.

I could be all wrong, but that's what I think it is. I think it's inherent in the design due to the massively oversquare pistons and yet their extremely low mass (with a resulting lack of inertia fly wheel effect).

·
Registered
721 Posts
jazzman said:
I don't think it was the kill switch. Although I've died at an intersection because my kill switch was partially engaged. Took me a minute to figure that one out.

Maybe I'm the only one that has this perception. I'm a blip the throttle kind of guy. I love the way this bike sounds and its mostly just habit. But in doing it a lot, it led me to a theory about the motor and it's design. At times when I blip the throttle - like at a stop light - the motor will just sort of hang and you lose throttle response. This is only sometimes, when your giving it just a quick on/off blip of the throttle. My theory is - it has something to do with the large oversquare bore of the pistons, and yet they are so low mass. There is next to no flywheel effect for these pistons. I think with short quick blips of the throttle, the engine is susceptible to back kick of the pistons. When this happens, I think things get out of sync, either with what the electronics are expecting or something mechanical.

Anyway. I have this happen somewhat frequently. I can blip the throttle a few times and then the bike can lose throttle response and act like it's going to die. In fact a few times, it has died.

I could be all wrong, but that's what I think it is. I think it's inherent in the design due to the massively oversquare pistons and yet their extremely low mass (with a resulting lack of inertia fly wheel effect).
This is the 1-3 timing retard.... I get it all the time :eek: loss of power (mechanical), Backfire, motor has died a few times LOL
it may well be what stoopid311 had happen

Sure does become embarassing at times..... Need the JSD but money is tight (yes, even 45 measly bucks) :redfaced:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
This is the 1-3 timing retard.... I get it all the time :eek: loss of power (mechanical), Backfire, motor has died a few times LOL
it may well be what stoopid311 had happen

Sure does become embarassing at times..... Need the JSD but money is tight (yes, even 45 measly bucks)Â :redfaced:
I have the JSD mod on. My bike still does what I described above.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
Odd....

Check your air filter ?

Maybe it is what you said... ::) :confused:
Actually. I think it's something between the electronics of the bike, the fuel system, and the extremely low mass of the pistons. There's just not much mass inertia to the pistons with the thin skirt racing construction. Yes this engine has monster torque. But I swear, at very low rpm's sometimes I think this engine could tear itself apart due to the low mass of the internals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jazzman said:

Maybe I'm the only one that has this perception. I'm a blip the throttle kind of guy. I love the way this bike sounds and its mostly just habit. But in doing it a lot, it led me to a theory about the motor and it's design. At times when I blip the throttle - like at a stop light - the motor will just sort of hang and you lose throttle response. This is only sometimes, when your giving it just a quick on/off blip of the throttle. My theory is -Â it has something to do with the large oversquare bore of the pistons, and yet they are so low mass. There is next to no flywheel effect for these pistons. I think with short quick blips of the throttle, the engine is susceptible to back kick of the pistons. When this happens, I think things get out of sync, either with what the electronics are expecting or something mechanical.

that sounds about like me...love the throttle, as long as it is not just me. it hasnt happened since though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Could have been dirt in the fuel.... has happened to me in car before.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This has been happening to me for a week............alot. I removed the tank (yes again) and pulled out the bottom of the unit that the fuel pump resides in. The rubber reseviour was filled with debris. Washed it out as well as the filter that is part of it. Hosed out the tank for a while. Soaked up the water that wouldn't pour out. Reassembled. 50 miles, So far so good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts