M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a half helmet but cant find one i like.

what do you have ???

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,917 Posts
AdvanceCarbonComposites. The best one made IMO, but I think they stopped making the DOT Approved helmets. If you go to Ephrata Sunday you can check it out.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,917 Posts
Joy. I Just found out (for anyone with an Advanced Carbon Composites helmet) that the EXT-01, EXT-02, EXT-03, and EXT-04 were recalled because they don't pass the DOT test. They were recalled in April, but guess what! The company went out of business (reformed under a slightly different name, of course.)

So, we get boned on our helmets. Guess I am in the market for a new one too.

NOTICE OF RECALL OF ALL MODELS OF ADVANCED CARBON COMPOSITES EXT MOTORCYCLE HELMETS

This notice is provided to all purchasers or owners of Advanced Carbon Composites EXT-001, EXT-002, EXT-003 and EXT-004 models of motorcycle helmets, regardless of size and regardless of date acquired, in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

REASON FOR THE RECALL

In a March 26, 2010 Settlement Agreement and Consent Order between Advanced Carbon Composites and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Advanced Carbon Composites agreed that all models and sizes of its EXT-001, EXT-002 and EXT-003 Half Shell Motorcycle Helmets, regardless of date manufactured, fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218, 49 C.F.R. § 571.218. Additionally, on April 15, 2010 Advanced Carbon Composites initiated a recall of its EXT-004 helmets for failure to comply with FVMSS No. 218. FMVSS No. 218 establishes minimum performance requirements for helmets designed for highway use. Among other things, the standard requires that motorcycle helmets meet the minimum performance requirements of penetration tests and impact attenuation tests, as well as labeling requirements. Advanced Carbon Composites' helmets do not comply with FMVSS No. 218 in the areas of impact attenuation, penetration and/or labeling. In the event of a crash, the wearer is not adequately protected, and could suffer severe injuries or even death.

As a part of its Settlement Agreement and Consent Order with NHTSA and its recall of EXT-004 helmets, Advanced Carbon Composites has agreed to implement a remedy program by which Advanced Carbon Composites is providing notice to, and obtaining helmets from, owners and purchasers, and Advanced Carbon Composites will refund an owner or purchaser for the purchase price of the helmet. The remedy program is limited to refunds to owners or purchasers, and under no circumstances will Advanced Carbon Composites attempt to repair or replace the recalled helmets.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

After you contact us and we record your information, Advanced Carbon Composite will send you a prepaid shipping label for your helmet. Upon its receipt of the helmet and documentation regarding the price you paid for the helmet, Advanced Carbon Composite will send you a check in the full amount of the purchase price, which you should receive within 7-10 business days. This includes all EXT-001 or EXT 002 helmets that were previously repaired by Advanced Carbon Composites in previous recalls.

Please call Advanced Carbon Composites at 1-800-300-9813, or contact us by mail at Advanced Carbon Composites, 6127 Anno Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32809, to begin the refund process.

If you believe we have failed to issue a refund to you within a reasonable amount of time, you may submit a complaint to:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

U.S. Department of Transportation

1200 New Jersey Avenue

Washington, D.C. 20590

Toll Free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236

TTY 1-800--9153 or go to www.safercar.com

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got mine from Bikersden.com a couple of years back. I went with the "daytona half shell" in matt black with a shortie peak and recieved it within a few days from Canada.
It is comfortable and I use it regularly for short hops, (preferring the protection of a full face for long rides.)

Its DOT approved.

Heres the link :-

http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=30

·
Registered
938 Posts
I bought one for those days when it is too hot to wear a full face and i don't like it because it seems like the wind wants to push up under the front of the helmet and after riding for awhile it gives me a headache for whatever reason. I basically bought it to keep my bald head from getting scorched, now when it's really hot i just wear a Do-Rag or whatever you call it to protect my head from sun burn. Half helmets in my opinion are kinda dumb anyway if you are relying on them for protection because i personally just don't think that they are going to help you very much if you crash and bounce your head off the pavement. If you have a windshield on your bike the wind might not be much of a problem but with no windshield i just don't like half helmets because of all of the wind that they catch.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a Nolan Half that I wear during the Summer It's light it also has a padded detachable "collar" that is nice on say 75 to 85 degree days but after that it just gets too hot to have it on there. It does the job well and Nolan makes good helmets. It's flat black and the finish holds up better than some I have had. On a 5 star scale I would give it a 3 1/2. I wish it had some vents... that would have made it 4 1/2 to 5.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Skid Lid The lightest 1/2 helmet that is Dot approved.Been wearing mine for 3 yrs. and love it.:bigthumbsup:
I agree, I love my Skid Lid

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My wife says it looks ridiculous... I'd prefer less liner to get rid off the mushroom look... I know one thing, my head is much cooler with a half-helmet and the chrome reflects the sun helping even more.
In Florida, we can ride without a helmet so half is a plus for me.
Long rides a wear full helmet, local ride, no helmet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i have an hci with flames..and my wife a flat black fulmer...both dot
and the hci is brand new an xl dont fit me but if u wanna buy it hit me up..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Too many times, people post something that I want to speak my mind about, yet don't as not to start a feud. This time I'm going to run my mouth. Is your head anymore tougher when it's hot outside? My opinion, which you didn't ask for, is 1/2 helmet=1/2 brain. Did any of the folks that went down at the meet know it was going to happen. I don't think so. I guess if you are ugly, you don't care if your chin and face get left on the pavment if you go down. It's full helmet only for me! Don't get mad because I care about you guys!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
In hot weather...when driving locally...at less then interstate speeds..(so John won't worry about me :D ) I wear a Scorpion EXO 100...very comfortable,has the flip down inner shaded shield and is DOT approved. I think I paid about 100-125 bucks for it a few years back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts