M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would prefer the flexible strip kind of LED's but I'm open to anything at this point. Also if anybody knows the best way to install them on the fenders and engine. Any info and help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
JOE FLORIDA highly recommend on ebay

·
Registered
211 Posts
to start i would do a joe florida 180 kit should be very easy to install
That's what i have. I also ordered a few more at the same time. Over the winter I will order some more as there is a few spots that i think need some light. I went with purple so I need more to make it look as bright as any other color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys! I just took a look at the kit and it looks easy enough to do myself. Did you guys have a hard time putting them on the fenders?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3M Tape! Got It! These bike shops want to charge $150 to $200 in labor just to install some LED's on my bike.

·
Registered
960 Posts
3M Tape! Got It! These bike shops want to charge $150 to $200 in labor just to install some LED's on my bike.
This is the one thing I am looking forward to this winter. The Joe Florida 180 kit. The only part that concerns me is mounting the lights and running the wiring for the front wheel and having it look clean.:'(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the one thing I am looking forward to this winter. The Joe Florida 180 kit. The only part that concerns me is mounting the lights and running the wiring for the front wheel and having it look clean.:'(
That's the same concern I have! I want to make it look as clean as possible. I was thinking of running the wires along side the brake lines. I would cover it up with some heat shrink or flexible plastic cover of some sort.

·
Registered
960 Posts
That's the same concern I have! I want to make it look as clean as possible. I was thinking of running the wires along side the brake lines. I would cover it up with some heat shrink or flexible plastic cover of some sort.
I am thinking of going with stainless braided front brake lines then getting matching, but smaller diameter braided wiring covers I found online. I would run the wires through this cover and attach with chrome zip ties?:eek: Could be awful, could be COOL!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Just run the wire along the brake hoses and cover it with wire loom. Won't even know they're there... As far as cleaning, the lights will be mounted on the side of the fender and will be out of the way from dirt and debris. may get dusty, but a little hosing down wiping will keep it clean.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
instead of getting the joe florida kit, which to me personally does not give you anywhere near the amont of lights that you need to do a bike like the 109, just buy a kit from tugboat (sean). he is a member here and also a co-sponsor of this board. he has put together a kit of quality flexible strips that is made just for the 9.

PM tugboat. he is a great guy to do business with.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Just my opinion, but I like the Joe Florida kits. Also, try not to get any pod style lights---they will go bad eventually. You said that shop was a bit high to install, well on the price defense side of things, that is not far off if the do it right. Now, most shops/dealers do not even begin to know how to do it right. That Valerie I did, photos in pic section, was done right. Almost every light was a custom light---cut, solder, make new harness..... I had almost 15hrs in that. I charged him $300, and my normal rate is $40hr. So take your time and do it right.

Sent from my EVO.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
dont mean to muddy the water , but to do it Right futur is right about the time involved
But , i just installed a kit i got form Texas109 and it was as simple just two wires to the battery and your lit up just secure the wires ,(the connetions are sockets )cant get any more simlpe than that

:a18:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I am thinking of going with stainless braided front brake lines then getting matching, but smaller diameter braided wiring covers I found online. I would run the wires through this cover and attach with chrome zip ties?:eek: Could be awful, could be COOL!
it should look very good. that is what swatcop did on his front wheel install. he posted pics and it looks VERY CLEAN. :bigthumbsup:

do a search for his posts and you will see what i mean. very nice install.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Just my opinion, but I like the Joe Florida kits. Also, try not to get any pod style lights---they will go bad eventually. You said that shop was a bit high to install, well on the price defense side of things, that is not far off if the do it right. Now, most shops/dealers do not even begin to know how to do it right. That Valerie I did, photos in pic section, was done right. Almost every light was a custom light---cut, solder, make new harness..... I had almost 15hrs in that. I charged him $300, and my normal rate is $40hr. So take your time and do it right.

Sent from my EVO.
:agree: I know guys that have over 20 hours of labor installing there LEDs and they may not even be done. Wow, you gave him a AWESOME price Matt.

·
Registered
769 Posts
instead of getting the joe florida kit, which to me personally does not give you anywhere near the amont of lights that you need to do a bike like the 109, just buy a kit from tugboat (sean). he is a member here and also a co-sponsor of this board. he has put together a kit of quality flexible strips that is made just for the 9.

PM tugboat. he is a great guy to do business with.
:agree::agree:. i installed them and he even shipped them to me here in Venezuela plus he helps you out ALL THE WAY.....piece of cake

1 - 20 of 20 Posts