M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coming home last nite on i95 running about 75 or so i hit d gas and and it sounded like some thing strip in d final drive.lots of noise i stop and that was it no more going foward with out pushing.everytime release d clutch it start grining on d left side.had it tow home check clutch basket for loose nut all good,go into gear fine.jack rear tire up and turn makes that sound and while engine is off and in gear still turn.had to ride on back of tow truck and hold brakes because tow truck only hab 2 strap.could it be trans.or final drive.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
coming home last nite on i95 running about 75 or so i hit d gas and and it sounded like some thing strip in d final drive.lots of noise i stop and that was it no more going foward with out pushing.everytime release d clutch it start grining on d left side.had it tow home check clutch basket for loose nut all good,go into gear fine.jack rear tire up and turn makes that sound and while engine is off and in gear still turn.had to ride on back of tow truck and hold brakes because tow truck only hab 2 strap.could it be trans.or final drive.
Way more likely it is the secondary drive. Right under your seat, behind the two rear chrome covers on the left side. My bet the dog ears are sheared off. There are alot of posts on this, including one post where I repaired one. Do a search for "dog ear" and enjoy the reading. If it turns out to be the final drive, I have a complete final drive that all the gears should be good, but the housing is destroyed. It also could be the shaft that connects to the final drive. Some early bikes did not have hardly any lube in the splined joint---rust could have done that in. I also have an extra shaft--I think.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

pull d secondary drive all good no shred real clean.started looking back final drive and drive shaft and there she blows no grease all rust and striped. thank for the reponse people

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
I've seen several pictures of them with rusted splines where the drive shaft engages the final drive, but this is the first I've heard of that stripped. I hope you can just replace the drive shaft and it will still hold.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all new

i order driver shaft,final drive gear coupling,propellar shaft spring,oil seal.the problem i have now is getting that nut off of the final drive gear coupling because of the lock tight,will take some where and have heat put to it.looks like my new wheels and tires will all come around the same which is good while i have the hub off.i am happy it was not as bad.and btw knowledge is king and this site has plenty them ,and zoom i all ways look froward for your input. happy motherday to all your wives and ladies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts