M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda checkn' those out too ...are they cool at first and then ya get sick of them ?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
All I know about them is that they are ugly.:bigthumbsup:

I think it is funny to watch riders lean when they go into a turn since the bike doesn't lean. Not cool.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Yea they look neat (saw a yellow one with spiderwebs on it and it was sported up). but I love just 2 wheels, wouldn't feel the same in the twisties. now if U could have both... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Test drove them ... not fun to ride !!!!:barf:
Ditto.

I will say though, they get almost as much attention as the 9.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Saw a couple of them whilst on a local cruise a couple of weeks ago. Weird looking IMHO but the guys who had them had injuries meaning they couldn't ride a "normal" motorbike. Helped them get back into doing what they loved so thats a good thing. No idea how they go though...

·
Registered
92 Posts
spyder

I got to play with one for a few hours. Acceleration and taking some speed bumps and ... unusual speeds (ahem) was a lot of fun. The brakes - amazing feel.
BUT CORNERING... come on!!!!!
You have to lean into a corner to stay on the machine, but the machine doesn't lean. So imagine your butt sliding to the outside of the seat while you try to kick the handlebars into a tight turn and hang off the side.
The physics of the whole maneuver just blew my mind.
It's a pretty and fun machine, but not for twistys.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I rode one, the thing about it is you really have to lean into the turns to help with the turning, think of it as a snowmobile on wheels. and the rear end is light so smoking the wide rear tire is easy. Its fun and a head turner but not for me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I ride them every year in Daytona. I think they are a lot of fun. Its like being allowed to ride a ATV on the street legally. They are definetly quicker then I thought they would be.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also test drove one. Did not care for it too much. Felt like too many things didn't feel right. I especially didn't like the twitchy feeling of the power steering.
afdad

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
But are they as quick as the 9?
I think a lot of that stuff boils down to the rider. I can tell you that Lamont has one and he can more than keep up with 109s. In fact, on a group ride that consisted of me, Lucky, and some other pretty capable 9's Lamont was the fastest riders in the twisties. So, the Spyder is capable of curves and high speeds....that being said, I really didn't like riding it....good for women and injured/old guys.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I have been really interested in the RT, touring version. Can't wait for a test drive to come to this area. I think I would like them, but the Goldwing people don't like them at all. My only grip might be the fact that the driver didn't seem to have very much leg room. If the driver floorboards were adjustable, or a way to use highway pegs, it might be OK. I hope to test drive one as soon as it warms up.
With only 100hp, and 80 ft lbs of tq., it can't be as fast as the nine.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
All I know about them is that they are ugly.:bigthumbsup:

I think it is funny to watch riders lean when they go into a turn since the bike doesn't lean. Not cool.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think a lot of that stuff boils down to the rider. I can tell you that Lamont has one and he can more than keep up with 109s. In fact, on a group ride that consisted of me, Lucky, and some other pretty capable 9's Lamont was the fastest riders in the twisties. So, the Spyder is capable of curves and high speeds....that being said, I really didn't like riding it....good for women and injured/old guys.
Did you say a spider was faster than You and lucky! ?!?!?

Sheep dipp

1 - 20 of 25 Posts