M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a good day on the C today:D

i rolled outta town with maybe half of the left side floorboard feeler and about half way thru days ride when we pulled over i flipped the board up and the feeler was worn totally out , i guess that may explain why some of those more intense left handers where i was dragging board felt a bit slippery when i got over on the edge of the tire i was on a part of the tire i hadn't ventured onto before at least not in the manner i was today.

anyway back to the question, the feeler is GONE worn straight down to the floorboard, anybody else let their feeler pegs get worn down that far? how much of a headache am i looking at?

·
Registered
259 Posts
this is a great question; im needing to find the amswer to this as well as im draggin the pegs too. (feelers dont exist anymore)

·
Registered
184 Posts
replacements

had a good day on the C today:D

i rolled outta town with maybe half of the left side floorboard feeler and about half way thru days ride when we pulled over i flipped the board up and the feeler was worn totally out , i guess that may explain why some of those more intense left handers where i was dragging board felt a bit slippery when i got over on the edge of the tire i was on a part of the tire i hadn't ventured onto before at least not in the manner i was today.

anyway back to the question, the feeler is GONE worn straight down to the floorboard, anybody else let their feeler pegs get worn down that far? how much of a headache am i looking at?
They are called "Lean Angle Sensors"

Gman carries
Titanium replacements

on the right in picture

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are called "Lean Angle Sensors"

Gman carries
Titanium replacements

on the right in picture

okay thanks for the correction on my terminology

i am aware that GMAN carries them, and probably good investment as soon as i can swing it

i was wondering if anyone had some input on how much hassle i am in for , or if anyone has a recommendation on a efficient way to get the threaded portion out of the floorboard , now that i have one that is ground down that far. Yes i know it would have been ALOT easier to change out before it got that far, but honestly i really didn't expect to grind one down to nothing yesterday from half way left , when the first half lasted me about 3,000 miles

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
You can use a EZ-out to help remove it. If it's too far gone, you will just have to drill it out and use a Tap/Die set to re-thread it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if they are down enough where you can't a wrench or a pair of vise grips on them then the only option is either drill and retap or easy outs

·
Registered
450 Posts
Drill it

Can you drill it out with a left handed drill bit? When the bit does bite into the "lean angle sensor", hopefully it will cause it to un-screw it self.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys i was concerned the answer might be - EZ OUTS or TAP & DIE , over my years of tool acquisition, those are items i have yet to take up residence in my tool chest :confused:

i'll see what i can come up with making a few phone calls ,before i have to break the news to the C.F.O. that i need more tools and then still need to order the Lean Angle Sensors :duck::duck:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you drill it out with a left handed drill bit? When the bit does bite into the "lean angle sensor", hopefully it will cause it to un-screw it self.
i dont know if that would work or not, good thought, offhand i dont recall having any of those in the toolbox either

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay here is an update, no i dont have them out yet, but i took a look at them today and have a gameplan

on the floorboards on the C the hole the draggers/feelers/sensors get bolted into go all the way thru the board and are exposed from the top after you remove the rubber floorboard cover

so i should be good to just drill a pilot hole then use a self tapping screw to be able to get the remaining portion out of the hole

since i used up the floorboard protection while i was up in the mountains and didn't realize it right away i did grind away some floorboard

and just gonna add this one, I still have a good bit of the right side feeler/sensor/dragger but managed to grind the floorboard mount itself, i could feel the difference when it made contact, this is a lil concerning since there is no give in the mount

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
If they go all the way thru the floor board you might be able to drill a small pilot hole and then try and use an Easy Out and get the rest of the feeler out. That way you wouldnt have to retap the hole and you could just throw some new one on. Just my .02

·
Registered
623 Posts
Left handed drill bit.

Lets say the threaded part is about a 1/4 inch, you would use a 1/8 LH drill bit. Put your drill in reverse then start in the center of your broken bolt. Make a starting point with a punch if needed. 8 times out of 10 this works like magic.

Good luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry Boss. Thats what I meant. I just figured people would know what i meant.
Those of us who drag race have to know how to do those off the wall things, ha ha.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sorry Boss. Thats what I meant. I just figured people would know what i meant.
Those of us who drag race have to know how to do those off the wall things, ha ha.
:agree:we do indeed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts