M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of new to motorcycles (the look and price of the m made me take the plunge) and one of the reasons I bought the bike was to do do short get aways, so if anybody has any suggestions on intresting rides... do tell. Little backround, I'm located in the outskirts of New Orleans, I've never been to any bike night (not yet) and I'm not a big in the whole bar thing, just looking to see the state(s) through a nice bike ride and forget about the mess we have down here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't go wrong with Deals Gap / HWY129 / Tail of the Dragon or any of the other roads around eastern Tennessee or Western North Carolina! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thumper1 said:
Can't go wrong with Deals Gap / HWY129 / Tail of the Dragon or any of the other roads around eastern Tennessee or Western North Carolina! :bigthumbsup:
I hope to trailer a bike to the dragon someday... Been wanting to do that ride for a long time...

khrome

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Thumper1 said:
Tail of the Dragon or any of the other roads around eastern Tennessee or Western North Carolina! :bigthumbsup:
I'm not sure the Dragon is a good ride for beginners. I understand it has claimed it's share of motorcycles in the past... even one in the last week or so. I'm thinking that an inexperienced rider could easily get in over their head in those twisties. To the original poster, if you do ride the dragon, just be safe. Don't ride beyond your skill level. It only takes one bad curve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
agree with the comments about the ride. I live a few miles from "the Dragon" and think it is not that good of a ride. It is great if you want to spend some intense time just doing corners. To me a good ride is beautiful scenery, with streams lakes or other sites to enjoy. Not too hot and lots of places you can stop and enjoy the few or sites. North Carolina and Georgia have an abundance of roads that are almost empty and provide some of the best sites in the nation.

If you want to enjoy the sites in these two states I would be happy to show them to you. Drop me a line and we will ride the best roads North Carolina can offer. I do them often.

Gary :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
L-Train said:
My experience with every bike I have ever ridden or owned is that it will lean until it starts scraping stuff you don't want to scrape.
Well that's a given... I just didn't realize that the GL1800s had that much cornering clearance. That guy up front looked almost like he was whipping a sport bike around those twisties, not a luxury dresser/touring cruiser.

Ever hear the term "casing it"
Can't say that I have... at least as it would relate to motorcycling. Casing a joint... yeah, I've heard that one. ;) I'm pretty new to motorcycle riding. It will be a long long time before I'm confident enough to whip my 109 around like those guys.

·
Registered
752 Posts
In the sportbike world when you are "casing it" you actually drag your engine case on the track (never the road :evil: )

The guy on the wing was a bad mo fo. He didn't leave a ton in reserve though and did you see him almost get his head ripped off on the left hander?

The alpine loop and nebo loop here in Utah are the same sort of thing as the dragon but with a lot more up and downs and a lot less traffic

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
L-Train said:
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1072.0

Medic: I have a post here on learning your lean angles. You might find it helpful and might not but here you go.
Thanks. Good info. The parking lot idea is one I've been planning on doing since I got the bike... just haven't gotten around to it. I have scraped my peg once or twice, but it was usually at a much much lower speed than that guy on the wing. I find that I drag my heel a lot more often than I scrape the peg. In fact, the first time I scraped my left peg it was making a left turn at a stop light. Apparently I leaned a bit too far. It actually pulled my foot off the peg. Talk about puckering up a bit... :eek: Since then, I have dragged my heel a good bit, but it always seems to be when making turns at intersections. I have also dragged a bit on a low speed tight curve in the road. I just know that it will be a long time before I can whip this monster around curves like those guys in the video. That takes skill, and also knowing exactly how fast you can take corners and still keep a line. I've bookmarked that link you gave. I'm gonna make it a point to visit a large vacant lot so I can ride in circles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts