M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally entertaining the idea of lowering my LE. However I have not yet due to the fact that when I ride it, 95% of the time I have my "other half" with me.
I was looking at it lined up with some other bikes and decided that it would greatly improve the stance (look) if it was lowered.
I would love to hear some of your feed back on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lowering my bike was the first thing that I did. I went with the 2 in lowering bones and I ride 75% of the time with the other half on as well and have not had any problems what so ever. Good luck to you and your decision.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I regret it. I love the look, and it is much easier to manhandle the lower bike, but I still regret it. I have the Cobra Swepts and I grind the pipes and pegs all the time now and don't like it. If putting them in hadn't been such a major PITA I would probably swap them back out. Instead I'll probably swap the exhaust if I can find one that I like that won't drag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a 2" lower done but I do a lot of twisties. It really is a preference thing IMO. If I didn't ride as agressive as I do, I would probably still have it lowered but even at stock height, I gring the :edit: outta my pegs and have even leaned her so much that I have beauty marks on my stock exhaust. Look at your riding style and think about if you drag pegs now or not at stock height. If you ride agressively and love the twisties, it's gonna be a sparky show.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ironically, we are making plans to run the dragon tail this summer.
I appreciate the input because I never thought about the dragging part.
I wonder if my Big Shots will drag with a 1.5" bone.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here is something else you should wonder about :
Is your shaft going to like the angle you put on your bike.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
I think if you ride the twisties hard you will think twice about it. Ridding 2 up should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ironically, we are making plans to run the dragon tail this summer.
I appreciate the input because I never thought about the dragging part.
I wonder if my Big Shots will drag with a 1.5" bone.
First off the Dragon is closed until probably September because of rockslide damage. But if you ride some other roads in the NC/TN mountains I would leave it stock height and see how you do. If you scape it alot at stock height I think you got your answer. If not them go ahead and lower it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I ride mainly by myself, and love the look and the ride, even with the misses on the back no worries, do it and be proud of it :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
There must be a 1000 posts on this topic and all of them are slightly different .... lowering is a personal choice between looks and functionality.
allot of factors from exhaust types to rider weight to riding one up or two come into play ....

I am sure if you do your homework you will find the answer you are looking for ..

Now , does anyone know if mounting a 300 tire on a stock rim will work ?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have Big Shots and 2.25 drop....my wife and I went closer to 360lb's combined. I set my shock at 5...6 if we carry a tailbag. I have scraped pegs but never the pipes, probably because they are set higher then stock exhausts. Make sure you grind the rear inner fender bolts or the tire will get damaged. I have never run the Dragon though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you can afford it, go with the Air Ride. I took my 2" bones off because I scrapped my Roadhouse pipes a lot. But with the Air Ride I can lower it when cruising or raise it when riding more aggressively and not worry about scrapping the pipes. Then I can slam it when parked--too cool!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you can afford it, go with the Air Ride. I took my 2" bones off because I scrapped my Roadhouse pipes a lot. But with the Air Ride I can lower it when cruising or raise it when riding more aggressively and not worry about scrapping the pipes. Then I can slam it when parked--too cool!
$700+ is a lot of coin. I'd love to get an air ride, but I cant justify spending that much money for it.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the info. sorry biggerstretch the hi-jack didn't work.
I think I'll look hard at the air ride. Not quite sure I want to go thru some of the bs with Arnot shock or not. However it still looks like it is the better one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts