M109 Rider Forums banner

Any interest in a "Drag Strip Night" in Benton, IL?

4K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  wildwolf 
#1 ·
A fellow member of another board I frequent is trying to organize a friendly drag strip night near him in Benton, IL. According to him, the track is in Benton IL, right off of interstate 57.

We're trying to gage interest and see if anybody from that board, this board, and another board he's a member of (a VTX board...dunno where, never been to it I don't think) wants to participate.

I've never been to one...and think it'd be a whole lotta fun.

He also said the following about the day we are trying to do this (it's gonna be on a Friday night, btw...just don't know which one yet, thus far, July 28th is what I mentioned would work best for me):
1. $10
2. 1/8th
3. LOTS of hotels in the area.
4. Lots of good eats and wine trails and tons of s**t, race Friday, screw around the state on saturday!
5. You need a Helmet, Long Sleeve shirt/jacket, long pants, and a resonably safe bike.
6. We race against all other bikes, if you want to run someone tell the official and he can line you up, other than that the only things I have run are cars and one drag bike, but I think they were going to let me run the bike, the timing was just weird.

I think it'd be a great way to meet some fellow board members (from all of them...), make some new friends, have a good time, and have some good rides, both on and off the track.

I'm hoping to take that Friday off from work ('that Friday' will be substituted for which ever Friday the majority/the buddy setting this up as sets for the date). I'll hope to travel up Thursday evening (it's about 5 hours or so for me..one way on the super slab). Rest a bit, see the city/state on Friday a bit...race that night, do some more riding Saturday morning...and head back home Saturday afternoon.

I've been chatting with two M109R riders via PM about riding together sometime that are near me (one in Huntsville and one in Nashville -- RideHard and Ted) and it'd be great of y'all could join me for the ride up to Benton, IL.

Anybody else interesting in making an appearance? It's gotta be fun...I've never been to a drag race/strip race track and am really looking forward to it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Big Bore: Chapter Smapter....we're all riders here, right? If I post there...maybe those that don't go & look in the "Chapter" boards will never see it. For example, I don't think I've looked in one of them. There are two boards I'm interested in: General and Tech Tips. :bigthumbsup:

I mean...I'm in Alabama, granted Northern Alabama..but Alabama nonetheless.

I figured that I'd throw the bone out there J R and see what kinda response there was. We don't have a finalized date yet...so how much advance notice do you require to schedule an attendance?

G
#7 ·
Maybe September/October so we can give everyone advance notice. Just let me know the details and the who, what, where, when and I am sure we can pull it off.

"First Annual M109 Shoot Out"

Find out who the best rider really is.

#8 ·
Well, I thought it was more centralized than events I'm used to going to. :bigthumbsup:

However, I LOVE to ride...just time off is hard to get. 5 hour ride is easily enough to do with missing just one day of work. If y'all have a strip/track that's doable in a day's ride for me (10 hour ride in one day...may be pushing it for this whipper-snapper) I'm game to go there as well!!...but since I'm committed to the one in Benton already...let's try not to schedule it too close.

That September/October trip *might* be doable for me....but, isn't it still hot as hades there then? :evil: I do have a trip (flight) scheduled to Vegas in October...but it might also be delayed for funds. Road trip on bike to FL seems cheaper. :bigthumbsup: My wife's not interested in the long trips with me....just on how much it costs. I'm sure I can find a means to stay cheap if need be...

...so, keep me informed on when y'all get some more concrete details. Also note, for those that don't keep up with me....I don't have an M109R (yet), so y'all will be smoking me on the strip, but it'll SURE push me hard to keep up so I'm sure my timeslip will be rocking! :evil: :beer2: :#1:

...besides the fact I'm inexperienced in drag races. HEY....I noticed you said low 8,s, so you're on a 1/4 mile track there, right? Sweet....that's what I really wanna get some times on. Benton is an 1/8 mile track. Fun...but not as much info as a 1/4 track can give me. I have no idea what to expect for 1/8 mile times..but somewhat of what to expect for 1/4.

#10 ·
Just looked at Mapquest, and it's 9 hours, 5 minutes, 600.54 miles to Jacksonville. Looks like a boring ride though and that was the 'fastest route' they posted. Most I've attempted in one day was ~500 miles (Roanoke, VA to Meridianville, AL) and it wasn't too bad, so I'm sure I can do the ride to Jacksonville in one day as well...what 'time' are track meets/runs there? Need to figure out what time I'd have to take off to not be wore out by the time I got there.

Plus, ... if I've never been somewhere before, getting lost is REAL easy for me. :D So...expect a 9 hour trip to take 10.5 hours for me, restroom breaks, recheck maps/directions, etc.

#11 ·
J R said:
Im sure any and all will be welcome :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Its not even set up yet .
I meant, if you plan on September / October, don't plan on many above the Mason-Dixon line showing up (unless they trailer). Weather is just too unpredictable at that time of the year to plan a long motorcycle trip.

G
#12 ·
I am in for whatever works for the most people. Just have to watch out for weather as we head into the fall and conflicting events.

I will support whatever can be done.

And I agree with you on the concept of having fun.

#13 ·
Been told from the guy setting all this up that it's a go: July 28.

A lot of members from a VTX board are going to be showing up as well...so I'd like to see some M109Rs make an appearance. :evil:

Course...I'll be the slowest of 'em all....but it'll still be fun. :bigthumbsup:

#14 ·
It's official. July 28th. More details on the IA link I provided if you're interested.

Also, the v-rod owners have been talking smack. One guy in Milwaukee said he'd ride 400 miles to race an M109...I told him he was lucky, it's 391 miles to Benton. Then I told him about the track night in Benton.

Hope at least one or a few of y'all can show up for track night. :)

Oh, the v-rod forum I'm talking about is here: http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41232

#15 ·
wildwolf said:
Also, the v-rod owners have been talking smack. One guy in Milwaukee said he'd ride 400 miles to race an M109...I told him he was lucky, it's 391 miles to Benton. Then I told him about the track night in Benton.

Hope at least one or a few of y'all can show up for track night. :)

Oh, the v-rod forum I'm talking about is here: http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41232
LOL, nothing like some good ol' brand bashing chest pounding. ::)

No thanx.

#16 ·
BigBoreBiker said:
LOL, nothing like some good ol' brand bashing chest pounding. ::)

No thanx.
Heh. Chicken. I'm going with a VS800 Intruder. It's going to be FUN...who cares who wins/loses? There will be winners/losers of every category of bike. Oh, yeah, you bought the bike cause it's a cruiser. Not cause it's a fast one. ::)

#18 ·
wildwolf said:
Oh, yeah, you bought the bike cause it's a cruiser. Not cause it's a fast one. ::)
I'm talking about the link to the V-Rod forum, and BTW I did buy this bike because its a good looking croozer, I have a Hayabusa for speed, and my vette will stomp my M109.

#20 ·
ITguy said:
What time do things get started on the 28th?

I'm about an hour and a half from there and would be interested. I've never drag raced before and may not at this event either but it sounds like fun.Â

Wanted, you coming up I-24 on your way through? Maybe we could meet up around Paducah and ride the rest of the way there?
To quote the OP on IA:
www.i57dragstrip.com

RULES FOR US BIKERS:
H. Protective Clothing: protective fire jacket required if car runs on alcohol. Motorcycle riders must have Leather Jackets (I have seen textile gear allowed), boots, gloves & Helmets.

COST:
10$ for test and tune racing (it means no purse as it is fun run night or fridays)

WHERE:
http://www.i57dragstrip.com/html/information.html#Bentonmap

DATE/TIME:
I will be there on July 28th, 2006 about 7:30PM. Thats a good time to get oriented as they will open the drag strip soon after that.

IVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!?!?!?!?
No troubles, just watch a few passes with experienced riders and ask questions, well help you out!

WHOS LIABLE?
YOU ARE, RACE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

#22 ·
BigBoreBiker said:
It sounds like a nice time, if I can make it I will definitely be there, can I bring the Boosa?
Absolutely! Got a buddy local that rides a Volusia and a Busa...I think he'd enjoy the ride there (5+ hours) on the Volusia...but I'm sure he'd enjoy the stip more on the Busa. Still not definite it he can go with me, though, or if I have to ride there alone.

#23 ·
Guys,

I know a lot of planning is going into this race at the Benton track but has anyone considered Gateway International located just outside of STL? It is a NHRA sanctioned track (Home of the Craftsman Nationals, now the Oriely Nats) and is a qtr mile track.

I just wanted to see if there was any interest in running here & at a qtr mile track. :dontknow: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

#24 ·
The best opportunity to run will be Friday, July 21 from 8:00 PM to 3:00 AM (Midnight Madness) or September 1, same times apply. This is an invite to one and all to sample our track and have some fun racing. Usually between 30-60 bikes or more attend. You just never know how many will attend.

It would be nice to see a bunch or 109's there. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Dont forget while your are in STL, you could tour the Anheuser Busch Brewery, you know that place that makes Budweiser. :beer3: :beer2: :clap2: :hot: :2cool: :welcome:

#25 ·
Sorry, been busy. :redfaced:

Anyways, Ted (member here) and I were gonna meet up Friday and head to Benton. He's in north nashville area I believe.

How about Pleasantville area? Where I-24, 49, and 41A come together? Gotta be a gas station/place to grab a burger there to meet/greet/eat, then hit the road.

Would love the 1/4 mile track....but alas, I'm not the one that officially started this thing, but a rider friend of mine on the IA board. I've no problem going there...but I've got to race at least once at the Benton track. :)

Sadly, am attending a rally (hey...wait a minute, I'm not SAD about that....!!!!) on September 1st weekend....so won't be able to make a ride then.

Any of you Nashville guys been to the track on I-840? Do bikes race there?

#26 ·
All:

Weather.com currently shows 60% chance of rain tomorrow. 30% chance of rain tomorrow night.

I've been told that the track won't operate if it's raining and I'm not sure they'll open it up if it's been soaking down all day either (never been to a track...so it's a a new experience for me).

However, I'm not willing to burn the vacation day and ride 5 hours in 60% chance of rain...to be turned away once I get there in the 30% chance it does rain.

Sorry if anybody was looking forward to going to this to meet me...but it just isn't worth all the risks involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.