M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil and gear oil this morning (break-in change). I bought a motorcycle lift to get it up off the ground. The bike seemed a bit wobbly but wrenching carefully she sat still. Anyway, I have one of those oil catchers, like what you use for cars. I couldn't get it into position to catch oil from either plug and the filter and I had oil everywhere. I christened my new garage floor, I guess. If any of you are using a lift are you catching the old oil in a coffee can or what exactly do you use. I saw someone in here post that you dont need a lift to change the oil, but then what do you use to catch the oil, the wife's cookie sheet? Any info you guys can share would be great. I would have had my dealer do the change, but they are booked for a month and don't do L.O.F on Saturdays and I am going to Elko Motorcycle Jamboree in 2 weeks in Elko, NV. BTW- Lamonster, this site kicks ass and I have obtained a ton of great info from you and everyone else here.

also, my oil plugs had crush washers on them, but i picked up a couple from the dealer yesterday, anyway. Thanks once again for the tip.

Thanks,all.
Brent.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
BAs109 said:
I just changed my oil and gear oil this morning (break-in change). I bought a motorcycle lift to get it up off the ground. The bike seemed a bit wobbly but wrenching carefully she sat still. Anyway, I have one of those oil catchers, like what you use for cars.  I couldn't get it into position to catch oil from either plug and the filter and I had oil everywhere. I christened my new garage floor, I guess. If any of you are using a lift are you catching the old oil in a coffee can or what exactly do you use. I saw someone in here post that you dont need a lift to change the oil, but then what do you use to catch the oil, the wife's cookie sheet? Any info you guys can share would be great. I would have had my dealer do the change, but they are booked for a month and don't do L.O.F on Saturdays and I am going to Elko Motorcycle Jamboree in 2 weeks in Elko, NV.  BTW- Lamonster, this site kicks ass and I have obtained a ton of great info from you and everyone else here.

also, my oil plugs had crush washers on them, but i picked up a couple from the dealer yesterday, anyway. Thanks once again for the tip.

Thanks,all.
Brent.
You're almost right about the cookie sheet. Stop into the supermarket and get yourself a package of the disposable aluminum baking pans. There several different sizes available with most being 2.5 inches deep. They fit under the bike when it's on the kickstand with plenty of clearance and are long enough to capture the oil from both drain plugs at the same time. Been using them for years on my bikes and never had oil on the floor. Enjoy your "wrenching".....when you do your own maintenance you know it's done right. :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use a gallon plastic container, the shape that antifreeze comes in. Lay it on its side and cut out a 6x6 or so patch. It squeezes under the bike perfect. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I bought a catch from Pep Boys...boy I wish it were 1-2 inches shorter...I had to fight with that thing...I'm giving it to my nieghbor and going a different route
next time...

·
Registered
817 Posts
They make oil pans low enough to work under the bike, as long as you reach over from the right side to get to the plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts