M109 Rider Forums banner

Any Brake Discs recommendations for M109R

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  oicduc 
#1 ·
Does any one have any good recommendations for brake discs replacement for the M109R?
My Left front brake disc seems to have come loose at the rivets. I looked into getting the wavy brake discs but I have been advised against them as apparently they are thinner and warp easily. I travel everyday on my M109R and do alot of peak hour traffic driving and do require some severe braking especially on the highway where there are cars that the review mirrors were optional.

#4 ·
Cost always plays its part. I have contacted local importers to find cost and stock on the Galfers.
Thank you for your recommendation.
Will these floating rotors rivets always give issues? The friction surfaces are still perfect and I have only been using top quality brake pads which now has been a little bit in vain.

#6 ·
Greg you would be just fine buying a set of stock rotors/disks from someone here on the forum and putting them back on your bike. I believe there were some defect/quality issues regarding the rivets loosening on some batches of rotors/disks on the '06 and '07 models. My understanding is that Suzuki fixed that problem in '08.

#8 ·
Thanks Big-B, I have sent a email to TRod.

BCRUZN, you have a valid point. Don't think Suzuki would own up to quality issues though, not even the extended warranty would cover the brake disc.
I have priced original replacement from local Suzuki approved dealer and MUCHO $$$ so if I have to pay up I might as well try to upgrade.

Also get envious of looking at great pics of bikes on forum with awesome modes,:drool:

#9 ·
Found this the other day...

Hey Greg.

I found this link the other day while scanning thru the forums : http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149497 (Dirty little secret revealed!!).

Considering how many GSXR's there are here in SA I'm very sure you will be able to find brake disks for much-much cheaper if you go look for these... They are referring to this disk : 310 X 5 mm, for a 08-09 GSXR 600/750

Chris

#10 · (Edited)
Results

So I have pretty much exhausted my search for Front brake discs and this is what I came up with for those who also are thinking of replacing their front brake discs (listed from most expensive to least expensive):
1. Galfer Braking Systems - 310 Irving Dr.,Oxnard, CA 93030 - got back to me with a quote and maybe because I dont earn in $ and have to add shipping onto the cost - mucho mucho mucho $$$. Maybe even over the top $.
2. Local Suzuki supplier (South Africa)- and this is for STD replacement rotors.
3. Nodico - Metal Gear - Local supplier (South Africa, Pretoria) of imported wave rotors, did not give me the brand but said that the quality stands up to OEM Specs.
4. http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=264 -TROD (on this forum) - EBC rotors with patented S-drive button - definitely interested in these as brand name and upgraded rivet design. (also to note: listed on this site (Palomino Mfg.) Galfer rotors priced less than what was quoted direct from Galfer)
(Thanks TROD for correspondance)
5. Mad Hornets - priced so low that one views it with sceptism, reading the forum on them one does start to want to give them a try. Looks great, priced unbelievable but quality?????
(Thank you Crankberry for passing information on)

Hope this helps some one.

#11 ·
So I have pretty much exhausted my search for Front brake discs and this is what I came up with for those who also are thinking of replacing their front brake discs (listed from most expensive to least expensive):
1. Galfer Braking Systems - 310 Irving Dr.,Oxnard, CA 93030 - got back to me with a quote and maybe because I dont earn in $ and have to add shipping onto the cost - mucho mucho mucho $$$. Maybe even over the top $.
2. Local Suzuki supplier (South Africa)- and this is for STD replacement rotors.
3. Nodico - Metal Gear - Local supplier (South Africa, Pretoria) of imported wave rotors, did not give me the brand but said that the quality stands up to OEM Specs.
4. http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=264 -TROD (on this forum) - EBC rotors with patented S-drive button - definitely interested in these as brand name and upgraded rivet design. (also to note: listed on this site (Palomino Mfg.) Galfer rotors priced less than what was quoted direct from Galfer)
(Thanks TROD for correspondance)
5. Mad Hornets - priced so low that one views it with sceptism, reading the forum on them one does start to want to give them a try. Looks great, priced unbelievable but quality?????
(Thank you Crankberry for passing information on)

Hope this helps some one.
i have the arashi ones from mad hornets. they are perfect , no issues with rivots loosening up matter a fact i just wiggled them yesterday while i was looking at the bike on the lift. been on there close to a year now i think. the only bad thing is they dont make a rear.. so either custom or galfer is going on it... SOON

#13 ·
Not much happening on the South African forum.....

Thought I would just update this post.
I bought the Arashi wave front brake discs from Mad Hornet, I have done just over 40 000km still on the new EBC sintered brake pads I bought when I changed the discs. Been through two sets of tyres and Brake discs still good. :bigthumbsup:
I would not run around saying they have any better performance over the STD brake disc but the cost of the two discs was the equivalent of one STD disc and they look cool on the bike. So well recommended from my side :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.