M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members,
After stop and go in heavy traffic I noticed my reserve bottle was down about 3 oz
There was also a drop of anti freeze at the bottom of the overflow tube, no overheat warning was indicated. Any one ever have this problem ? I filled it up to the line but haven't ridin to check it out again. no indication of leakage from the hoses.
Olddog

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wish I could tell ya bro, but since I got back to Texas we haven't had a single day warm enough for me to overheat my bike. Been downright discouraging. Was really looking forward to some nice 80's and 90's to ride in 8)

·
Registered
600 Posts
olddog said:
Hi Members,
After stop and go in heavy traffic I noticed my reserve bottle was down about 3 oz
There was also a drop of anti freeze at the bottom of the overflow tube, no overheat warning was indicated. Any one ever have this problem ? I filled it up to the line but haven't ridin to check it out again. no indication of leakage from the hoses.
Olddog
I'd suggest reading through this thread http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1008.msg75416#msg75416 and then taking a good look around the engine of your M. I've fixed two leaks on mine so far and tightened up every clamp I could get to when I changed the spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Had a incident about a week ago after installing my new intake backer plates and air cleaners. I started the bike, let it warm up and then gave the throttle several twists to redline to clean out the carbon and low and behold I see a small puddle of anti-freeze on the garage floor. Never had a leak on the bike before and with 9000 miles on the clock I thought I was out of the woods with leaks! Shut her down, wiped up the coolant and cleaned the bike off. Checked the reservoir and it was within limits. I let the bike sit over night and the next day there was no sign of anything leaking so I took it out for a ride and put almost 60 miles on at highway speeds of 60 to 75 mph. Got the bike back in the garage and checked her over good...every thing is bone dry...no sign of any leaks???? I started thinking what the heck is going on when I realized that the bike only leaked under heavy throttle ( red lining under no load ). I believe that the water pump creates excessive pressure when the motor is high revving and there is no bypass in the cooling system to relieve pressure which causes the cylinder hose to leak but only under the conditions previously described. I'm definitely going to snug all the hose clamps and believe that will cure the problem of the leak only occurring at high RPM's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
bob109 said:
Had a incident about a week ago after installing my new intake backer plates and air cleaners. I started the bike, let it warm up and then gave the throttle several twists to redline to clean out the carbon and low and behold I see a small puddle of anti-freeze on the garage floor. Never had a leak on the bike before and with 9000 miles on the clock I thought I was out of the woods with leaks! Shut her down, wiped up the coolant and cleaned the bike off. Checked the reservoir and it was within limits. I let the bike sit over night and the next day there was no sign of anything leaking so I took it out for a ride and put almost 60 miles on at highway speeds of 60 to 75 mph. Got the bike back in the garage and checked her over good...every thing is bone dry...no sign of any leaks???? I started thinking what the heck is going on when I realized that the bike only leaked under heavy throttle ( red lining under no load ). I believe that the water pump creates excessive pressure when the motor is high revving and there is no bypass in the cooling system to relieve pressure which causes the cylinder hose to leak but only under the conditions previously described. I'm definitely going to snug all the hose clamps and believe that will cure the problem of the leak only occurring at high RPM's.
Same here... only it started leaking while I was repeatedly, stoplight to stoplight, showing a kid in a Subaru just how slow his car REALLY was :evil: Never saw a leak at all while cruising around or commuting to work and back :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I have driven the piss out of mine for 5k miles and not one coolant leak. while i changed my plugs over to 10's I checked the hose that causes problems and it was tight and so were all the others. never had any oil blow by problems either. :dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts