M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have been working, but became obsessed with getting something in the way of "better air" on the bike by the weekend.

I roughed out a couple of 3mm Ali plates which give as much opening into the standard air boxes as their design allows.
Because the mounting lugs (on the air box) lift the plates clear of sealing by about 7.5mm, I made a comprehensive gasket out of 4.5 x 25mm soft adhesive neoprene stripping. Two layers of this are perfect and the provide a very pliable seal. (sorry no photo's of this, as I stripped the first lot off so I could 'acid wash' the plates before painting them)
I wanted the K&N filter E-3237 or E-3240, but they are not available in NZ (with a big wait for an order)..so I picked up a couple of Simota urethane pod filters and cut the throats off them. They have quite good surface area (approx 34sq" each side), but don't cover the two bottom screws the K&N's would have. But I can retro fit the K&N's later if I can get them ...(just need to make a face plate to enclose the element)

The total weight of this add-on will be under 700 grams..super light!



I am thinking of painting the backing plate satin black and maybe making a circular front plate and painting that silver..what do you think?



One thing came out of the exercise....I can really appreciate how much work Hal and Lamonster have put into the design of "Big Air".
They have done an exceptional job of trouble shooting a minefield of little finishing issues. That milling of their base plate is a work of art!

I would have loved to have had a "Big Air", but by the time it is freighted out here and (freight inclusive) duty is paid..there isn't much change out of NZ$1300. This mod will owe me about NZ$100 (pods, stainless hardware, rubber) and quite a bit of time...should run good though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Kudos on your design and workman-ship....the filters and mounting plates look super. Like a wise man once said " Necessity is the Mother of Invention" :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
That looks great! :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Rasp,

Great job man, all you need now is some Mothers aluminum polish and some medium to fine steel wool, a polisher and start polishing away. A miirror finish would definitely do it some justice. Just MHO...

Looks great well thought out!!!

C-One
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Good Job, those blue filters would look great on a black 109, Hmmmm ......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,172 Posts
You got it goin on there Rasputin. Those are pretty hot. Nice work! I know you put a lot into that. Let us know your impressions of riding it and how it moves the air. I'm sure it's going to give you a big boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Nice work.

But if you REALLY need stuff from the US, I would be happy to purchase it here and send it to ya. Of course there would be freight costs, etc. -- but in this day and age, I can't see somebody having to "go without," just because they happen to live in NZ.


Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tomph1 said:
 Nice work.Â

  But if you REALLY need stuff from the US, I would be happy to purchase it here and send it to ya. Of course there would be freight costs, etc. -- but in this day and age, I can't see somebody having to "go without," just because they happen to live in NZ.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
That's very nice of you..Will PM you....Appreciate your kind offer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Not much different in Oz.

If it cost $25 in the US you can get it her for $50 or so. (JSD for example)

There are so many goodies we would love to get our hands on but it

is way outpriced by the time we get it..

Would kill for a rear Mets 260. No choice but a Dunny 240

Cheers ::) 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll post this as I have had a few similar requests and it will save me typing it out more than once.
Yes I have a template, but couldn't guarantee it would scan to scale, is too wrinkled to fax and it is a bit messy too.
So what I did was: use the "fruit bowl" for the outside trace (+ a little more for overlap).
Then I placed this on the air box and pressed and marked (fingers and pencil) the contact points of the lugs, screw holes and filter seal on to the tracing.(this outline will give you gasket position)
Then I drew the outline of the filter position (whatever you choose to use) ...sketched in an overlap between the old filter seal surface/new filter position and of where I could cut out the plate to get Max opening..then rounded off the corners and made a dimple for the top filter mount bolt.

I used threaded rod for the filter mounting as it can be nylocked (both sides) onto the base plate and adhesive neoprene rubber as gasket.
I would do somethings better next time:
1. all visible gasket joins to the bottom (out of sight)
2. better quality final paint (harder and better finish than the horrible spray can crap I used)
3. use max size filter available..mine is plenty in terms of air flow but the K&N (previous thread) will mean you can countersink the two bottom air box attaching screws and hide them under the filter .
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top