M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from one of the other Supt. at my company. This guy designs cams and builds some nice custom Harleys...His best friend, whose bike he built for him left the local watering hole after too many beers and is now missing part of his skull and in a coma, My friend says it doesn't look good at all. I had gotten numbers from the guy to do some work for us. He was a family man with a thriving framing and drywall business.
  PLEASE GUYS THINK before you get on that bike!!! Most of my friends were dead before they turned 18 from drinking related crap! I had 13 DWI's before I was 30. ( the year I quit drinking!!) two beers and we are impaired and my selfish way of thinking used to be that I didn't effect anybody but me....no matter WHO you are, that is a lie. We effect many more lives than we could ever know with decisions we make every day, Hopefully this post will make one person think twice about drinking and riding...It might be that once that saves your life!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I second that. :super:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
+1, I know I could never have one or two....Enjoying life much more now that I have quit all forms of intoxication.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I still drink, but last may I made a decision I would not drink and drive anymore, I have never drank and rode, It is a recipe for disaster. I have a lot of friends who have died from drinking and driving.
Tonight I was out for a ride and stopped at my favorite bar. They all know me there and they know when I have my helmet with me, I won't have more than 1 beer and will drink either soda or red bull after that.

I left after a red bull and continued my ride. At about 8 :00 I put my bike away, I was getting followed by the police on several different rodes, but was riding like a saint. I walked back down to the bar and then walked home when I left. It is not worth it, either th DUI or the accident.

·
Registered
775 Posts
for personal reasons i don't drink at all. now a days my friends won't even let me go to the bars to hang out with them. they got tired of me waiting for them to leave after a few drinks and saying; "what do you want us to tell your wife and kids to put on the head stone?"

·
Registered
60 Posts
WA109 said:
I had 13 DWI's before I was 30. ( the year I quit drinking!!)
Let me first express my heartfelt prayers for your friend. I hope he somehow miraculously pulls through, I do not like hearing about MC riders being hurt.
With that said, WA109, if you seriously had 13 DWI's, I feel that you should be in jail. One time can be a mistake, but 13 times indicates a lack of disciple and possibly an addiction to alcohol. I'm glad that you have quit drinking because it would seem obvious that you were a danger to society. I'm not advocating drinking and riding/driving, but having a beer while you are out does not seem like that big of a deal (but I am able to stop after 1). Apparently there are some of you that cannot practice self control ("I could never have 1 or two"), so I'm happy that you guys are not drinking at all now. However, I still appreciate being a tad intoxicated at times (super bowl, my birthday, maybe a good party), again maybe I am just lucky for being able to control my drinking. Okay, I'm getting off my soap box now, I just do not like former drinkers preaching about how good it is to not drink anymore.

·
Registered
426 Posts
bighead32708 said:
I just do not like former drinkers preaching about how good it is to not drink anymore.
They are speaking from experience. Who better than them? They have obviously seen the ramifications and are trying to help people like you who haven't been through it - yet. When something bad happens to you, you'll change your tune, you'll see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
slowpoke387 said:
They are speaking from experience. Who better than them? They have obviously seen the ramifications and are trying to help people like you who haven't been through it - yet. When something bad happens to you, you'll change your tune, you'll see.
Been through what? I will never get a DWI because I do not drink and drive. One beer is not going to make me intoxicated. I clarify again, I'm not advocating drinking and riding. These guys seem like they are coming from the perspective of being trashed and getting on a bike. If someone is getting trashed and getting on a bike....they're an arse!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Can you say "hypocrite"?
I knew you could. :joke:

Sorry pal, but even if you only have 1 beer then get on your bike, whether you are impaired or not, it's still drinking and riding. ::)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I knew this was going to create controversy. I waited before I posted, but what can I do now. I don't think its being a hypocrite at all. Obviously having one beer and driving....is drinking and driving. When I say I don't drink and ride, I mean within the limits of the law. One beer within an hour in a man of my size (5' 10'', 240lbs) equates to not being intoxicated. If you do not have any beer or any other adult beverage when your out on your bike, car, truck or whatever then good for you. I enjoy a beer every now and again.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
steve j said:
+1, I know I could never have one or two....Enjoying life much more now that I have quit all forms of intoxication.
I quit 3 days after my 19th birthday when I woke up from the coma in an Army hospital.. who knew a blood alchol level of .42 was considered lethal?!? At the time I didn't, but I've not touched a drop since, only lost 3 days, could have been a lot more.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
O.K. I guess I started this so I'll try to shed a little different light..... I DID have 13 dwi's by the time I was 29 and am not supposed to get a license until 2017. I quit in 1992 and got my license back after 8 years without drinking, numerous letters from employers, my pastor and community leaders, I was also an I.V. cocaine user..addict and still managed to make 50 to 80 G's a year as a teenage and 20+ year old pipeliner in Alaska...It was also the way I was raised . Drinking was everything and after one or two there was nothing in this world, except a jail cell, that could make me stop drinking...I wanted to...could not physically stop!
There are hypocrites out there who have never walked a mile in those shoes and look down their noses at addicts, weather alcohol, drugs or tobacco...THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!
  These people are ignorant of a medical problem that plagues this whole world..ADDICTION..PHYSICAL, UNCONTROLLABLE ADDICTION !! My advice to these people is to take a trip to your local treatment center and spend some time with the people you are looking down at. You will be amazed how many Doctors, Lawyers, Judges and Pastors you will find in this crowd... Judge not lest you be judged.
 The good Lord decided to have mercy on this addict and gave me a chance, after 4 treatment centers and years of AA he made me an offer, I took it and have been released from the addiction ever since. My Mom and Dad died from it three years and four years ago.... both were 59. My brother is in jail again now... All three were executive and engineering people...Don't you dare judge them!
I am in Management at the 5th largest Retail Construction Company in the U.S. and live on MY 5 acres with waterfalls, coi ponds and 6 figure income.....I am NOT BRAGGING this is just what these people you are judging are capable of doing if they are not held back by closed minded individuals!
We are blessed with a number of Pastors on this board who could tell you all the same stuff, however in some cases, the churches can still be a little blind in this area. Sorry Pastors...just my experience talking.
 To you who ONLY "HAVE ONE AND LEAVE" That kind of thinking is the real DANGER TO SOCIETY" you were referring to. How many people in jail set out with the thought of drinking too much and going to jail!!! Yah, that sounds like fun!! Most the people in jail say they stopped in for ONE!! I SHOULD KNOW!!
 I wish you could meet how many people I have who had only one and were sitting in alcohol awareness classes and on deferred prosecution for DUI... That is NOT DWI... Driving under the influence can be .02 or .01 blood alcohol...It is up to the Judge.

I posted this in the hopes to remind us to think....that is all. I am grateful and think about it EVERY TIME I RIDE, that I do not drink... Does this make me HOLIER THAN THOU??? as suggested??? STUPID..
It makes me a grateful recipient of God,s Grace...that is all.

OK my soap box is falling apart so I better step down... I think a nerve has been hit...Sorry for the long post!

.. I applaud you who can drink responsibly and would NEVER look down my nose at a drinker... Weather he is addicted or not.

By the way, since I quit drinking I have adopted and raised two great kids took in a step son and fathered two straight A wonderful daughters who are now 11 and 13...Tell these kids and young adults I should be in Jail! Ages 11,13,19,21,and 26 and all successful in life and benefited from my tragic decisions and addictions.

G

·
WA109, my prayers go out to your friend. I too am another miracle of God that had it not been His grace and mercy would have been dead and buried years ago. Many times we do stupid things and live only to learn our lesson later in life. Should your friend come through this, maybe this will be his time. For me it was waking up in a hospital with a broken skull, multiple cuts bruises and temporary blindness to wake me up. Thank God, God allows U-turns in life.

We all have our opinions and we live in America where all opinions are allowed so I will honor yours and I ask that you honor mine. God Bless America!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I appreciate your story and applaud your willingness to share it. :bigthumbsup:

I would rather hear your story than find myself sitting in the same hole.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts