M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone done the oil check after riding for a while?

just wondering if the reading is going to be any different if you have been riding for say an hour. Turn the bike off, stand it straigt and check the oil within the 3 minutes .

compared to just getting the bike out first then running it 15 minutes then checking within the 3 minutes without riding for a long period.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Check it before you ride. Don't pick the bike up, start it, or move it. Just pull the dipstick out and check it. Don't wipe it off and reinsert it, just read it. It reads the same as it does with the 15/3 check.

It's called the cold check and a lot of us do it. I only do the 15/3 on mine when I change the oil, then after that it's a cold check only for the past 3 years. You have to let the bike set for a few hours or over night for it to register correctly.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have used the 15/3 method and also have checked the oil after a ride and waiting 3 minutes. For some reason it checks higher after riding than just letting it warm up 15 minutes. I go with the 15/3 because thats what the manual says. I will try the cold check method next time.
Thanks Zoom

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
anyone done the oil check after riding for a while?

just wondering if the reading is going to be any different if you have been riding for say an hour. Turn the bike off, stand it straigt and check the oil within the 3 minutes .

compared to just getting the bike out first then running it 15 minutes then checking within the 3 minutes without riding for a long period.
You will not get an accurate reading after ridding it. Can not explain why, but you won't. Do the cold check that Zoom posted.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Check it before you ride. Don't pick the bike up, start it, or move it. Just pull the dipstick out and check it. Don't wipe it off and reinsert it, just read it. It reads the same as it does with the 15/3 check.

It's called the cold check and a lot of us do it. I only do the 15/3 on mine when I change the oil, then after that it's a cold check only for the past 3 years. You have to let the bike set for a few hours or over night for it to register correctly.
Works perfect everytime. On the money as always Mike.:bigthumbsup:

You will not get an accurate reading after ridding it. Can not explain why, but you won't. Do the cold check that Zoom posted.
I would think that once the bike has been run on the road as opposed to just sitting still at idle the oil will and does move around within the motor. Oil will of course move into the secondary drive, clutch and upper end. This will give you a false reading and lead to overfill when you see a low reading. Go 15/3 or as Mike said the cold check works great.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've found the most consistent oil check is the cold oil check mentioned by Zoom. I had wildly fluctuating readings with the 15/3 check. Since my last oil change (2000 miles) I have done a half dozen cold oil checks and every one has been the same, right at the full mark.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
the cold check works
Just check it in the morning after if park all night... you should check your oil on anything before starting anyway
cold check seems to help preventing over filling
If it reads in the middle of the cross hatch when cold will it be ok?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
If it reads in the middle of the cross hatch when cold will it be ok?
Sure will. Consider it the same as if you were doing the 15/3 check. Mine doesn't use enough old to add any, but between changes it will drop from the full mark down to about the middle of the hashes. As long as it's in the hashed area it's fine. Some even run them at the mid point or lower thinking it may help prevent puking.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i have done the cold check before doesnt show anything on the stick.

thats with 3600ml in the bike. What is says to put in.

**** this bike is a royal pain in the arse for oil checking!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts

Zoom:so if I understand correctly you`re saying to check the oil with the bike leaning on its stand? Its that right?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Zoom:so if I understand correctly you`re saying to check the oil with the bike leaning on its stand? Its that right?
I'm not Zomm but yes that's correct. Let the bike sit overnight on it's sidestand. Check the oil in the morning by pulling the dipstick and reading it. Don't touch the bike other than pulling the dipstick.

When I ran synthetic oil, my bike used enough oil that before the next oil change (3500 miles) it would show no oil on the dipstick with a cold check and wildly fluctuating readings with the 15/3 check. On several occasions I computed a loss of about 350ml per 1000 miles (I measured the amount of oil drained during an oil change). Since I've switched to conventional oil the level doesn't change. However, I now change the conventional oil every 2000 miles.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I gave up on the oil check because nothing gives a consistant reading. Now I just check it cold with the bike on the kickstand. If it's between the lines (which it always is) I don't worry about it.....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
And another benefit to doing the cold check is you can add oil that way too. Keep the bike sitting like it is without moving it, add a couple ounces, clean the dipstick and reinsert it. Screw it in all the way, then pull it out and check it.

And it's done while sitting on the side stand. If you pick the bike up you can't check it this way, it has to be sitting there undisturbed for a few hours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts