M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed the oil and filter twice now and both times I got the same results . The manual says the bike will take 3.8 Qts when doing a filter change . I put 3.5 Qts in and do the 15/3 check , and no oil on the dipstick . I put in another .3 Qts and do the 15/3 check again and no oil on the dipstick . I then dump all the rest of the 4th Quart in and do the 15/3 again , no oil on the dipstick . The only way I get oil on the dipstick after 4 qts is if I screw the dipstick in all the way , but the manual says not to . My bike has 7500 miles and has never puked or leaked oil . Can someone tell me whats going on ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did the same thing this weekend. Changed the oil and filter and added about 3.2 qts. done 15/3 and no oil on dipstick. added almost all of 4th quart and after checking with 15/3 still no oil on stick. Was afraid to add any more cause I know its got enough in it. curious to see replys on this. has any one else had this happen??????

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Maybe your engine was not warmed up enough? It even states in the manual that more time maybe needed to warm up the engine. :dontknow:

·
Registered
140 Posts
That was my first thought too. but after checking about twenty times. I decided to drive down the road to make sure it was warm. When i got backe and let set for 3 min. it still didnt read on stick. After checking several times i finally got it to barely and i mean barely read on the bottom of the stick. Should I add more oil??????Dont want to make a puker.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did my first change last week at 600mi. It seemed that over 4 quarts came out..so I put in 3.2 after 15/3 checked nothing,repaeted this ...until put all 4 quarts...took it for a ride and let sit 3 minutes level with jack...was right on.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I did mine this weekend with the same result. What I am guessing happens is if you use 20W50 we are not allowing enough time for all the oil to drip out of the bottle. It could be too thick not to get it all? I also used some to lube up the gasket on the oil filter by basically sloshing it on a paper towel as I figured I had an extra few ounces but guess not. Just a guess as I really don't know.

Another thing that Eastrider points out is his bike was level. Mine is lowered a couple of inches thus the reservoir might not be level anymore?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,947 Posts
Leave it sitting on the sidestand and check it the next morning. Before you move or start the bike pull the dipstick out and see what it reads. I only check mine that way after doing the initial fill.

Measure what comes out and put the same amount back in too.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
This is the trip I use when changing my oil. Pull the drain plugs and let it drain for 10-15 minutes then:
1.Rock the bike .
2.Remove the oil filter
3.Rock the bike
4.Put new crush washers on
5.Put the new oil filter on
6.Thread the drain plugs in by hand and the torgue them to spec (16.5lbs)
7.Put the bike up right on the lift
8.pour oil in until it reaches the the bottom part of the fill hole. It is dead full every time I have done it this way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is the trip I use when changing my oil. Pull the drain plugs and let it drain for 10-15 minutes then:
1.Rock the bike .
2.Remove the oil filter
3.Rock the bike
4.Put new crush washers on
5.Put the new oil filter on
6.Thread the drain plugs in by hand and the torgue them to spec (16.5lbs)
7.Put the bike up right on the lift
8.pour oil in until it reaches the the bottom part of the fill hole. It is dead full every time I have done it this way.
Hey Ryno,

Is filling to the bottom part of the fill hole that little lip like thing you see when pouring oil in the fill hole?

Sounds like it might be the way to do this.
Just had mine at the 600 mile checkup. The mechanic said I should make sure the engine is hot. He said he let it idle till the fan came on then checked it.

Thanks for the info, I am going to try this on my next oil change. I think I will also measure exactly how much comes out too. I didn't tell the shop but I changed the oil myself before they got it when the bike got 400 miles and thought more than 4 quarts came out.

How much oil did you end up putting in?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,947 Posts
Ray, if you have the bike sitting on the side stand you can only get about 3 quarts in it before you have to either start it up or tilt it away from the side stand, then you can add the rest of the oil. Otherwise it runs over. Even sitting level on a lift it's hard to get the 3.8 quarts in it without starting it up for a couple seconds.

When Ryno says to the bottom of the fill hole, it's to the bottom of the hole the dip stick screws into. Kind of like filling up a lawn mower.

·
Registered
214 Posts
thanks Zoom

I really cant imagine why putting oil back in a bike has to be so hard.:dontknow:

Oh well, back to riding.:D

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Leave it sitting on the sidestand and check it the next morning. Before you move or start the bike pull the dipstick out and see what it reads. I only check mine that way after doing the initial fill.

Measure what comes out and put the same amount back in too.
I have had the same issue and puking on my 9 forever until I put new rings in it from blowby. I tried Zooms methind of doing the cold check and it is easier. I dont measure what comes out becuase in the past mine would puke. What I do is drain the oil out real good and replace the oil filter every time. I do rock the bike back and forth until I get as much out as I can. I then install 2 ea drain plugs with new filter. TQ to spec on the plugs. Add 3.2 Qts of oil in and warm the bike up. I let the bike run until the fan kicks on. Depending on the outside air temp could take longer on some days. I then take the bike for a short ride 5-10 miles and park it in the garage. The following morning I perform the "cold check" like Zoom has stated and just add oil to top off the bike. There is a writeup on the board where someone I think Zoom? posted three different ways to do a cold check with all the results being the same. Maybe someone could post it up for ya? Hope this helps. There is also a a thread on here about how much oil it takes to go from the lower mark on the dipstick to the top mark. I have these saved on my laptop which I don't have right now. If no one posts this up I will post them up when I get back to my laptop later today.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Ray, if you have the bike sitting on the side stand you can only get about 3 quarts in it before you have to either start it up or tilt it away from the side stand, then you can add the rest of the oil. Otherwise it runs over. Even sitting level on a lift it's hard to get the 3.8 quarts in it without starting it up for a couple seconds.

When Ryno says to the bottom of the fill hole, it's to the bottom of the hole the dip stick screws into. Kind of like filling up a lawn mower.
Zoom I get all 3.8 qaurts in there in one shot when she is upright. It takes you to the bottom of that fill/oil check hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just changed my filter and oil, put 3.8 qts in all at once, and it took it to the top of the fill hole. kinda nervous about starting it up. should i drain that .8 out and do it by the book or should i be alright by just crank and go?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
just changed my filter and oil, put 3.8 qts in all at once, and it took it to the top of the fill hole. kinda nervous about starting it up. should i drain that .8 out and do it by the book or should i be alright by just crank and go?
:dontknow:and every one wonders why they:barf:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,947 Posts
Set it upright and it will go down. But 3.8 quarts is the right amount if you got all the old oil out, so it won't hurt to put the cap back in and crank it over. Once it starts shut it off and check it, but it should be down once you do that. Then do the 15/3 check by the book.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Leave it on the jack or upright. Screw in the cap and start her up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts