1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
In the black corner, wearing black trunks with blue metal flake..... :joke:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey Hal, any idea when you're going to do your next run of Big Air kits? :dontknow: Would like to be able to install a chrome setup before I have to leave for another month long sojourn somewhere other than my home. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DaltonH said:
Hey Hal, any idea when you're going to do your next run of Big Air kits? :dontknow: Would like to be able to install a chrome setup before I have to leave for another month long sojourn somewhere other than my home.  :confused:
I think there is one chrome one left and two black.

We have an order in for 50 more but it will probably be the end of November by the time the manufacturing and chroming is done.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm glad i ordered the chrome BigAir and I got confirmation and tracking number, all this morning :p

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know these are lower cost alternatives, but the bar was set high with the Big Air kits, and I am yet to see anything that looks as good. JMHO. I'll just have to keep saving my dimes and quarters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When we introduced the BIGAIR the biggest comment concerned the price. So we figured that if we can get the price down and open up the door to a lot more intakes that a lot of people would be happy.

Its hard to compare a Billet chromed piece to some flat stock that is black powder coat but they both have their advantages.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
When we introduced the BIGAIR the biggest comment concerned the price. So we figured that if we can get the price down and open up the door to a lot more intakes that a lot of people would be happy.

Its hard to compare a Billet chromed piece to some flat stock that is black powder coat but they both have their advantages.
Its great that it is offered Hal. I think some of the intake choices would look much better if the black backing plate were smaller some how. When you put a smaller diameter filter on like the spike the big black triangle doesnt look as good.
With this big round one you dont notice the back plate as much, but I personally dont like the look.
Still glad they are offered without any intake so you can create your own...

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Its great that it is offered Hal. I think some of the intake choices would look much better if the black backing plate were smaller some how. When you put a smaller diameter filter on like the spike the big black triangle doesnt look as good.
With this big round one you dont notice the back plate as much, but I personally dont like the look.

Sledzep
+1

That's the only problem with these air kits I see so far. There needs to be a solution that gets rid of the back of the stock airbox as well, so that you don't have that big ugly diamond shaped back plate there. It makes the airbox look like an afterthought and Mickey Mouse'd together. The Big Air kit is better with the back plate being a beveled chrome cover, but it still uses the stock air boxes back plate.

What I want to know is: what is required to remove the stock airbox completely and mount a filter assembly to the sides of the engine directly? What did Xtreme Revolution have to do to get rid of this for instance? :dontknow:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sledzep01 said:

Sledzep
Ours is bigger as we put a lip on it to hide the gap that would exist between the black back half of the stock intake box. I could have done a slightly smaller plate that perfectly matched the black back half but the cost to have a die made so it could be punched out would make the cost prohibitive.

I had made a plate like several others have but the gap was just too big and too visible for me to go ahead with it.

Here was my original prototype that was perfectly matched to the black back half. Here is what it looks like.:

And yes it has a better shape but it leaves a big gap between it and the back cover.

And like a lot of other things I think you need to see it in person before you can properly evaluate it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Slap the Küryakyn Hi-Five air cleaner on there and you may have something..

I eyeballed one of these yesterday. Looked really nice..

Here is the spill on the air cleaner..

The Hi-Five is the first offering in the Inhaler Series of high performance air cleaners. Its five-spoke, tiered and slotted design makes it look and perform spectacularly. Stylized bosses with screws give a sturdy, heavy-duty appearance. Approximately seven inches in diameter and three inches thick, this unit packs a ton of performance into a relatively small package.

Features:
• Chrome plated, die-cast construction.
• Large slotted openings for excellent airflow
• An exclusive K&N filter, designed by Küryakyn, passes smoothed and filtered air through its sides and outer end.
• Backing plate designed for minimal disturbance of air column as it enters the carburetor. A snap-in ring covers the fasteners; the radius of its inside edge flow bench tested for optimum flow.
• Convenient threaded ports on the backing plate provide convenient locations to connect crankcase breathers or float bowl vents if needed (both plugs and fittings are included).

Here's a picture of it on a bike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm confused now (doesn't take much.) Is the Küryakyn Hi-Five air cleaner an option from Direct Line? Is it dependent on their backplate? I like the look of this option a lot.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
gm2inco said:
I'm confused now (doesn't take much.) Is the Küryakyn Hi-Five air cleaner an option from Direct Line? Is it dependent on their backplate? I like the look of this option a lot.
It can be added to the store if you guys like it. I'm pretty sure you can make it work on the adaptor plate. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks for the less expensive alternative Hal. How does the air flow compare with the Big Air? Same question for the Kuryakyn...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WA109 said:
Thanks for the less expensive alternative Hal. How does the air flow compare with the Big Air? Same question for the Kuryakyn...
In my opinion the BIGAIR is going to be the best but most of the others built on our adapter plate should be pretty close.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Delmustator said:
Slap the Küryakyn Hi-Five air cleaner on there and you may have something..

I eyeballed one of these yesterday. Looked really nice..

Here is the spill on the air cleaner..

The Hi-Five is the first offering in the Inhaler Series of high performance air cleaners. Its five-spoke, tiered and slotted design makes it look and perform spectacularly. Stylized bosses with screws give a sturdy, heavy-duty appearance. Approximately seven inches in diameter and three inches thick, this unit packs a ton of performance into a relatively small package.

Features:
• Chrome plated, die-cast construction.
• Large slotted openings for excellent airflow
• An exclusive K&N filter, designed by Küryakyn, passes smoothed and filtered air through its sides and outer end.
• Backing plate designed for minimal disturbance of air column as it enters the carburetor. A snap-in ring covers the fasteners; the radius of its inside edge flow bench tested for optimum flow.
• Convenient threaded ports on the backing plate provide convenient locations to connect crankcase breathers or float bowl vents if needed (both plugs and fittings are included).

Here's a picture of it on a bike.

Well I do like its looks but the price for two of those Hi-Fives installed by us on the intake adapter plate would have a cost of about $450 which is almost up to the BIGAIR level. I will look at one of the Hi-fives and see if it can be done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
allenfl said:
HAL

I like the high-fives, as well.

Can you tell me if the back plate will be available in chrome????
Its going to defeat the concept of low cost if we do chrome. Maybe I can get one set made in chrome and see how it looks but the cost goes way up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts