M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode from Richmond, VA to Myrtle Beach, SC today. One stretch I went 176 miles and used 4.1 gallons. Its so nice to be able to do long stretches like that.

I also discovered that the gas tank is bigger than my bladder.

It only takes 1/10 of a second to go from 70 to 90.

This bike loves 90 mph. I think it will cruise forever at that speed.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
cool. I am getting about 155-160 per 4 gallons but still breaking it in and riding to work in the traffic. I see no problems getting higher mpg once she loosens up a bit and I can cruise on her.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mileage has dropped to around 35 to 39 mpg. I'm thinking the oil plugged and cleaned filter might have something to do with it. I am still waiting for new filters the dealer said would give me.

oldold

·
Registered
849 Posts
I normally run right around 40 mpg and yes, the bike likes to cruise at around 90. I ride with an X rider as lead bike who prefers around 85, so I'm often pushimg him a bit,

Jer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just got back from 4 hr. turnpike trip, average speed 90, mileage 41 w/ maniac mod. Not to shabby. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone else get a sh** eating grin hammering the throttle when there's only one bar on the fuel gauge ?! It's like an entirely different bike !!

:bigthumbsup:

Chad

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
My bike started out getting 35/gal, but as the miles have racked up to 600, it has steadily increased to around 42/gal. Each fill has been better than the prior. I just returned the bike to the dealer around 500 miles to have their overfill mistake corrected, so maybe the correct amt of oil and new clean air filter helped break the 40 mile/gal mark. I do find I rarely cruise over 3500rpm though, so that may have something to do with the good mileage. I was pretty respectful of the initial break-in guidelines with the occasionial run 'n' gun quick take-offs. I would like to get above 45-46/gal in the future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i keep seeing these mpg tests and i cant fig how you guys r getting this mileage im only getting around 31mpg i usully ride about 10 mile to work in town my gixxer 1000 gets better mileage and ride that harder i dont get it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i keep seeing these mpg test you guys r doing i ride about 10 miles to work in town driving and im only getting about 31 mpg and i dont really ride it that hard my gixxer 1000 gets better mpg and i ride that alot harder i dont get it but i guess that good for you guys i usually fill up at about 118 miles and i think its about 4 gals ill keep checking

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
jleiher said:
i keep seeing these mpg test you guys r doing i ride about 10 miles to work in town driving and im only getting about 31 mpg and i dont really ride it that hard my gixxer 1000 gets better mpg and i ride that alot harder i dont get it but i guess that good for you guys i usually fill up at about 118 miles and i think its about 4 gals ill keep checking
Not sure what your problem is. How many miles do you have on your bike? As mentioned, my first tank got about 33 or 35 (can't remember which), and have gotten better each time since. It should be noted that I have put 700 miles on my bike in less than 2 weeks. I have ridden it to work several times (33 miles hwy each way), and have ridden around the county a hundred or so miles a couple times. Even rode it back to the dealership the other day (75 miles city/hwy). It was that day that I filled up at exactly 168.1 miles and put exactly 4.0 gallons (42.025 mpg). I always fill with the bike on the side stand and fill until the fuel touches the bottom of the fill neck to make sure I get consistent readings. Also as mentioned, I have been fairly respectful of the breakin period, so rarely have I gone above 4500 RPM, and most of my riding is between 3100 and 3500 RPM. The trip to the dealership was mostly 70mph which is right at 3200 or so RPM with some stop and go city and even some 85-90 MPH freeway riding. Each tank keeps getting better mileage, so maybe it's because of the breakin period.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am doing some city riding and some highway riding and getting about 155 miles at about 4 gallons. So I am 38-39 mpg. To the guys who are getting higher mpg's are you smaller guys? I weigh about 290 so wonder if the extra weight may be affecting the overall mpg.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Bullie said:
I weigh about 290 so wonder if the extra weight may be affecting the overall mpg.
I can't see how this doesn't affect your MPG. Load a car down with a bunch of heavy junk, and your gas mileage goes to crap. No reason a bike is any different. I weigh just less than 200 lbs

·
Registered
750 Posts
I Weigh in at 260 lbs and average about 40 to 43 mpg. I ride it to work every day (getting thumbs up from a lot of people.) My average one way trip is 48 miles one way. I can go 2 full trips before I need to Fill her up.. I ride it until the annoying fuel light stays on steady then I know I only have about 10 to 15 miles to go before empty. When it starts to blink I ride it about another 30 miles before I even start worrying about filling her up. Hope yours gets better. :doorag:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey medic, I said I was heavy didnt say I was junk!! But thanks for the brilliant illustration. I am happy with my 290 and with my M so take that.....scrawny butt!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bullie said:
Hey medic, I said I was heavy didnt say I was junk!! But thanks for the brilliant illustration. I am happy with my 290 and with my M so take that.....scrawny butt!! :D :D :D :D
LOL! Yeah, no fat jokes! ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
usually 120 miles and she soaks up 4 gallons everytime. At least im consistent in my driving. Rotate the throttle 'till it doesn't rotate anymore then see if your getting 40 mpg. If i wanted 40 i would of bought a 1982 650 special.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Well i am a buck fifty wet and have bout 500 miles on the bike now. I am just recently getting 120 miles from 4 gallons. For the first 300 miles the light was coming on at 92 miles consistantly. i have been somewhat restrictive on hammering it since it is still breaking in and do an equal amount of highway and city riding. My mileage sucks. Should i be worried???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts