M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you run a 280 tire on a stock rim, the tire is going to be rounded more, with a smaller contact patch. Would the roundness of the tire make it easier to lean the bike into corners, at low speed, like around town?
Does the roundness of the contact patch make it easier to get the tire off center, and into the corner quicker? Or am I just confused? :dontknow:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
If you run a 280 tire on a stock rim, the tire is going to be rounded more, with a smaller contact patch. Would the roundness of the tire make it easier to lean the bike into corners, at low speed, like around town?
Does the roundness of the contact patch make it easier to get the tire off center, and into the corner quicker? Or am I just confused? :dontknow:
your confused. 280 is to big for the stock rim. go and have a bo peep at someones that has had one on for a while.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Q: Does a 280mm tire, fit on a stock rim?
A: Yes, but as per the tire manufactor, it is NOT recommended. There are a few guys that run it without a problem, but lets face it, you wouldn't put 33" BF Goodrich Mudders, on your Civic... would you? Sure you can make them fit, but it's not recommended!
The largest tire that can be SAFELY mounted on a stock rim is a Metzler 260, a Dunlop 250, or Avon 250. Before you ignore me, and listen to someone who does not have a clue, please take the time to read this! If you're considering a 280 on stock rim... read this (UPDATED 7/03 More Pics)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryan.
I've got an Avon Venom 250 on back now. I live in KS and we have no curves.
I was only asking because the sport bikes I've had, always corner great, and was wondering if it is because of the rounded back tire. Just wondered if a "too large" back tire, at 44 - 46 psi would give the same approximate profile, and lend itself to turning easier.
Probably never go with a 280, but just wondered if i was thinking correctly. Who better to ask than the folks here.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bobby

Bobby, wasn't expecting it to corner that well, just something better.

Ryan, I would never put anything larger than a 31x12.5 on my Civic. Just saying ,,,

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The reason the fatter rear tire doesn't work like the fatter front tire is because of the lower profile sidewalls. I know the 280 isn't recommended by the manufacturer just like the 160/60 is, but I personally the the deflection of the smaller sidewall makes it more dangerous.

-JOsh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts