M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the 109 now for about a month and, as much fun as doing the "Austin Powers" turn around each time in my driveway and then backing it into my garage I decided it was time for another project (if your project list isn't in the double digits you might be bored).

I really like the turn-table idea of pulling straight in, rotating 180 degrees and being ready to ride straight out. I've only got one half of the 2-car garage to park the 9 in. The other half is for the girl's bikes and toys which I don't trust putting the 9 so close to. My half has my shop tools so it is a pretty tight fit. Lots of guys have done the lazy susan idea but I hadn't seen anyone make one for the 9. I really liked Delmustator's post (Del-MOD) M109R friendly Motorcycle Dolly, but I'm not a metal guy and have never welded (or own an welder). I do more stuff with wood so I've set out on a quest to force the Harbor Freight dolly into the 9's submission.

Most know by now that the Harbor Freight dolly isn't wide enough for the back wheel so my plan is to ride on top with a wide enough deck to allow my feet to touch once on top. All the wheels are omni-directional so my plan is to center the lazy susan bearing under the dolly so that once the 9's on deck, I should be able to hop off and give it a twirl. The bearing will be bolted to the floor so that'll prevent the dolly from just getting pushed as the 9 makes first contact with the ramp.

The side-stand pan is too short also so I'm building out that side with and extension long enough for the bikes side stand with a couple half-lap joints. The Harbor freight stand has a nice lip all around for easy bolting the deck down. To make it more complicated (and less tall) I'm routing out about a half inch channel for the dolly rim to allow the deck to sort of "sit into" the dolly like a lid. To prevent flex I'll then rout a channel (top & bottom) to flush-mount 1/4" steel flat bar and sandwich all the deck boards together and keep the joints tight (will make sense when it's put together).

For now I'm up to my ankles in sawdust, but that's how I like it. Here's a couple pics of the progress so far. Will continue to update as the project comes together.

IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2082.JPG

Registered
It sounds like you have thought out your plan/design very thoroughly RetroFit, and it seems to be a very good one. I can't wait to see your finished product. Way to be thinking outside of the box Bro. 馃榿 (y)

Radio Active Member
Interesting. Are you making it so you can ride onto it from either direction, or do you have to rotate it back to one direction before riding onto it again? I think the only difference is probably where the side stand rests, you would need one on either side. I have a Redline stand that I park mine on in the winter so I can move it around the garage easily, but you have to jack the bike up to get it on or off it.

A guy that lives near here in a huge house has a rotating garage floor for his car. I thought that was neat as heck the first time I saw it operate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I considered doing that for a while actually, but think I鈥檒l do the rotation after driving off it for a bit. I can always add it later if I get tired of it, but since I still have to close the garage doors anyway before riding off I think it shouldn鈥檛 be too bad.

Registered
I am curious why you want to ride the bike forward both going into and out of your garage. Even with my long legs I think I would find riding on and off a ramp more difficult than turning the bike around in the driveway. Since most garages have a floor that is higher than the driveway, most people drive in and back out. When I load my bikes in a trailer or on a lift, I have a bit of difficulty making sure that the front tire is centered so it nestles in the chock. If you misjudge and don't have the front centered, it could pose a problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I guess to each their own. It鈥檚 going to improve my experience given our garage/driveway/vehicle situation.

Registered
Best of luck with the dolly. I am anxious to see the finished product. The craftsmanship looks very good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
A little more progress. I鈥檓 hoping tomorrow to get it bolted to the garage floor. Here鈥檚 a few pics of the lazy susan and the deck upside down. You can see how the Harbor Freight dolly nestled into the track and the steel bars provide the structure for the 2 outside boards. The bike will sit on the center board and the outside boards are for my feet rolling on and off. Last pic is of the top of the deck. I鈥檓 going to get rid some of the 90 degree corners and then take it for a spin (literally)!

Registered
RF! It鈥檚 a BEAUTY! Your little ramp seems like it fits well, it spins smoothly, great build!
The only thing I felt like you were a little uncomfortable getting the stand kicked. -Almost sketchy. Does it ever feel like you could drop it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
RF! It鈥檚 a BEAUTY! Your little ramp seems like it fits well, it spins smoothly, great build!
The only thing I felt like you were a little uncomfortable getting the stand kicked. -Almost sketchy. Does it ever feel like you could drop it?
It's funny because I originally planned on having the ramp attach on both ends but then decided "Why not keep it simple for now and save space for a clear rotation?" As far as stability, it was the second time pulling onto it for the video so I was still getting a feel for it. On the video I wanted to make sure that when I leaned the bike over onto the stand that the front wheel would be as centered as possible. But I've gone up and down it a couple more since then and it feels very solid. I'm sure one day I'll over shoot it and have the front wheel go over, but even if I miss the side boards my legs are long enough to make it to the garage floor while on the bike.

One additional positive I discovered last night is since my lighting in my garage isn't that great I can rotate the bike to whatever position I want to get the best lighting which I LOVE while I work on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts