M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an orange 2008 in my garage for the night.

We pulled the wheels off to mount new tires. The shop wanted $139 to remove the wheels, mount the tires and put it back together, but will mount both for $31. So it will sit in my garage until the owner comes back tomorrow with the new tires mounted.

Anyway, I noticed another little difference betwee my 06 and this 08. The rear axle and bolt for the 06 are fitted for a pin to stop it from backing out. The 08 is not.

Just thought I'd share:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yes, the 08 has a nylon lock nut instead of a castle nut. I noticed on Mark's (20smoke) bike when I took his wheels off to polish them.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
the first is a castle nut like you use on tie rod ends and ball joints. the other is a nylon lock nut. i would prefer the castle nut with cotter pin.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
2008 was the first year they used the Nylock nut. The 2007's still have the old castle nut.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Way back when I got my first in late 06, my brother got the 07 and i notice the covers on the jugs were plastic and my brother's 07 are steel.

Some I have see, the front signal light mount plastic or steel.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Way back when I got my first in late 06, my brother got the 07 and i notice the covers on the jugs were plastic and my brother's 07 are steel.

Some I have see, the front signal light mount plastic or steel.
One of the chrome side covers on the clutch side of the engine is plastic on the 06's too. I don't recall if it's the center or rear cover. The front turn signal mount changed on the 08's.

That's why the 06's were listed as 6 pounds lighter than the 07's. :D

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
One of the chrome side covers on the clutch side of the engine is plastic on the 06's too. I don't recall if it's the center or rear cover.....
Both the center and rear are plastic on the '06. :bigthumbsup: Also, the mirrors on the '06 are slightly different from the '07-'10. And then there's the fuel rail... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts