M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of you guys come from the metric bike world but I'm sure you have caught some episodes of the Discovery Channel Biker Buildoff series. Well Kendall Johnson who is an awesome bike & engine builder was in Myrtle Beach for the fall festival this month and was riding one of his choppers at 60mph when the bike broke apart at the frame neck dug into the street and sent him sailing. He's still in the hospital healing up but no head injuries luckily and before anyone asks he was not wearing a helmet. We just beat the helmet discussion to death on another post so no comment needed unless you really feel the need I'm just glad he wasn't hurt too bad. Maybe somebody that was there or lives down that way has more of the story!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
DaltonH said:
Kendall Johnson.. Isn't he the guy from North Carolina? Remember seeing him a couple times on Biker Buildoff.
Yes, he is an NC guy.

He is a horsepower freak too.. BIG engines!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glad to hear he wasn't killed. I couldn't even imagine the mess that would have caused at those speeds. I met him at a rally once, he built an engine for a guy I knew. He is definitely crazy about big power and speed, from the sounds of things it could have been much worse. I hope he pulls through ok, he was a pretty cool guy and has brought a lot to the custom bike community.

·
Registered
306 Posts
booda said:
I know most of you guys come from the metric bike world but I'm sure you have caught some episodes of the Discovery Channel Biker Buildoff series. Well Kendall Johnson who is an awesome bike & engine builder was in Myrtle Beach for the fall festival this month and was riding one of his choppers at 60mph when the bike broke apart at the frame neck dug into the street and sent him sailing. He's still in the hospital healing up but no head injuries luckily and before anyone asks he was not wearing a helmet. We just beat the helmet discussion to death on another post so no comment needed unless you really feel the need I'm just glad he wasn't hurt too bad. Maybe somebody that was there or lives down that way has more of the story!
I'm actually relieved to hear it was something like this and not alcohol related like some other fool who shall remain nameless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man I hadn't heard that about Kendall. Glad to hear he is going to be okay. He really is one of the most genuine down to earth guys you would ever want to meet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If it was anything like the bike in Delmustator's post, with the angle of those forks, I can see how a weld could tear loose. Just glad to hear he's okay.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm actually relieved to hear it was something like this and not alcohol related like some other fool who shall remain nameless.

I know what you mean it seems that some of the more popular guys have grown big heads and forget where they came from like the boys in upstate NY for example but I've always heard good things about Kendall. I did meet Russell Mitchell in person and he was a real class act down to earth and didn't seem to buy all the hype and really his bikes are priced pretty decent as far as a hand built custom goes not the 60,000 plus most of them are asking for a rigid frame. Alright I know this is a 109 forum so I'll stop talking about customs I don't want to be asked to leave! :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
booda said:
his bikes are priced pretty decent as far as a hand built custom goes not the 60,000 plus most of them are asking for a rigid frame.
Uhhh, maybe you missed the $85,000 KJC Easyrider centerfold bike, or the $69,000 Lowlife Heritage...

I gotta say, hearing his frame broke apart just riding down the road would not give me much confidence in his build quality. I would not like to experience that sort of thing. Sounds like he's gonna be alright though, and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the frame he used was built by someone else. A lot of bike builders will only hand make their frames for specific builds. Orange County Choppers uses prebuilt frames with their bikes and they are not always in spec as has been seen on their show before.

A chrome moly frame is pretty damn strong. I tried to bend some of that 2 inch tubing before and it's strong stuff without a rose bud to heat it up. Who knows, a little bit of slag in the weld would be enough to start a crack.

I've gone through weld test plates before and let me tell you from experience. You may think your welds are the bomb until you see them crack apart like a potato chip under stress..

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uhhh, maybe you missed the $85,000 KJC Easyrider centerfold bike, or the $69,000 Lowlife Heritage...

Uhhh, Medic maybe you missed the part where I started talking about Russell Mitchell of Exile Cycles his bikes are priced alot lower and you are assuming Kendall built the frame that came apart. but like Delmustator pointed out they usually use frames made by someone else unless it's a special build. 

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
booda said:

Uhhh, Medic maybe you missed the part where I started talking about Russell Mitchell of Exile Cycles his bikes are priced alot lower
:bigthumbsup: Whoops!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoops!

No problem just wanted to set the record straight.  :doorag:

·
Registered
306 Posts
booda said:
I started talking about Russell Mitchell of Exile Cycles his bikes are priced alot lower
They would also be my first choice except for possibly an Indian Larry one.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"They would also be my first choice except for possibly an Indian Larry one."

Yeah I'll tell you after years of chrome and polished aluminum all that cleaning gets to you after awhile. With Exile and the satin finish and matt black paint you can just ride after maybe a quick wipe down. Russell definitely builds some nice bikes I've really checked them out up close and his ingenuity is unbeliveable. He was the first with the internal clutch & front brake no levers, he did the rear brake rotor/chain sprocket combo and he hides the ignition up under the seat pretty cool stuff.

I know one thing when the 109 comes it's staying stock and if I had the choice all the chrome would be gone, a nice completely blacked out 109 would be nice maybe powder coat instead of chrome. I just want to ride and not clean for 8 hours after a ride like I do now with my Big Dog but I do love that chopper!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts