M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if anybody raced a 600cc crotch rocket. How did it go? I know the V-Rod is almost able to keep up with 600c sportbikes so how does the M109R compare?

G

·
I had thought about this. I bet we'd launch better than they would. That would put them at a psychological disadvantage that might give us the edge we need. Once they see taillights maybe they would try to hard and miss a shift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a CBR600RR (2005) and bigger bikes can get me initially--as my power band doesn't really heat up until 9000 RPMs...the last Gold Wing I raced (my father in law, lol) took off and left me at about 60mph (I was in 5th, definitely. not in my power band), I down shifted to 3rd and then flew past him like he was standing still at about 110.

Oh, back to the quesiton, the 600RR can do the quarter mile at 10.5s @ 133mph stock.

G

·
When all is said and done, I don't believe we have the top end acceleration that would be required to "beat" them. The initial suprise may delay the inevitable though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's probably right. Off the line the M109 can probably beat many sportbikes due to it's geometry, but then it's just a matter of time...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually went light to light with a 500 katana, my bike was still new, but here is what happened.......... he got me off the line about 1/2 bike length till about 70 then i pulled away till about 130 then we hit traffic, he weaved in and out and kept going i let off and cruised :evil:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ridehard said:
I actually went light to light with a 500 katana, my bike was still new, but here is what happened.......... he got me off the line about 1/2 bike length till about 70 then i pulled away till about 130 then we hit traffic, he weaved in and out and kept going i let off and cruised :evil:
Good kill! :bigthumbsup: The newer 600cc bikes are completely different beasts though...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the M109 is easy to launch but you have to be ready to short shift 2nd quickly to stay in the torque. I raced a 600 and 750 and got several bikes on them but couldn't get to the shifter in time to keep it going. My bad, won't happen again. That being said, we might be able to stay out front until 3rd gear if we ride perfect. That is still pretty cool. I want to modify the pegs to get more ground clearance. That's where the real fun will be for me, beating inexperienced sportbikers in the twisties. That'll be a hoot!

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK, I'll bite.....

Having owned a Yamaha R6, and a Kawasaki ZX-12R, I can speak from experience that the m109 won't win. Sorry to be "That guy" but, there is no real comparison.

You have to have ridden a sportbike to know this. I'm not trying to dog my own bike, I love it, but not for drag racing.

The one thing that the M109 has over a 600 is torque. Roll-on acceleration is when the m109 will pull away, but from a racing standpoint the 600 just needs to downshift and it'll pass the m109.

Anyone who has owned a 600 and disagrees with me, I open to an objective discussion.

PS- just to reiterate, I love my m109 way better than any motorcycle I've ever owned. It has a great balance between power,handling, and ergonomics......

-Chad

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded a Yamaha YZF600R for my M109R. The Yamaha was sort of old technology, but could still do a quarter mile in about 11.25. I saw one "post" from a guy who said he did a quarter mile in something like 12.25. I think that puts you about 100 feet behind at the finish line. Call that an asskicking.

Nonetheless, at 55 and "getting bigger" I love the comfort of the M109R. And I love the stop sign burn outs which were tough with the sport bike.

Anyway, you will lose racing a 600cc sport bike in a quarter mile race.

·
Registered
192 Posts
SpeedStack said:
OK, I'll bite.....

Having owned a Yamaha R6, and a Kawasaki ZX-12R, I can speak from experience that the m109 won't win. Sorry to be "That guy" but, there is no real comparison.

You have to have ridden a sportbike to know this. I'm not trying to dog my own bike, I love it, but not for drag racing.

The one thing that the M109 has over a 600 is torque. Roll-on acceleration is when the m109 will pull away, but from a racing standpoint the 600 just needs to downshift and it'll pass the m109.

Anyone who has owned a 600 and disagrees with me, I open to an objective discussion.

PS- just to reiterate, I love my m109 way better than any motorcycle I've ever owned. It has a great balance between power,handling, and ergonomics......

-Chad
I agree, I hope noone thinks otherwise. I was just saying an average 109 rider can beat a sportbike from red light to red light - as long as the lights aren't too far apart :D I'm coming off a ZX-10R

·
Registered
101 Posts
Speed stack is absolutely right. We'll have them for about 3 seconds from the geometry of the bike. We can hammer a lot more w/ a big contact patch when we launch, also more weight on the rear tire. I came from a Hayabusa and the 600's really need to rev up to get in their curve.

Nick

·
Registered
152 Posts
SpeedStack said:
OK, I'll bite.....

-Chad
I have to agree, but I don't think you can get out in front of a modern sport bike unless you have a perfect launch against a inexperienced rider. The new liter class sport bikes are able to run 100+ in first gear, red light to red light he doesn't have to shift, just aim it launch it and keep the hammer down. The one thing that most old cruiser riders, that have transitioned from sport bikes, have over a pimple faced 19 y/o on a gsxr 600 is experience and confidence in his skills, if you add that to the 109 you should be able to knock off a few 600 sport bikes, but leave the liter bikes alone, that kind of HP makes up for experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I have to share that may Blackbird was a different story.
I'm still not use to have to shift so soon.

But man, I enjoy the ride so much. may have sacrificed speed but
I have not sacrificed the freedom of riding and the fun of it!

Did my first burnout the other day..... :D (well, it was an accident...)

But it is TOTALLY a diffirent story riding a racer and the 109...

·
Registered
6 Posts
SpeedStack said:
OK, I'll bite.....

-Chad
I agree. I too have owned a Kaw Ninja and well...the M109 would be all torque...thats great out of the hole but thats about it against a sportbike.

I am still having my dilemna over a Hayabusa or an M109. I love them both.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
this really dont count but one of the guys i know has a 600 kat and we both had passenagers on the bike and we was playing a bit and i would out pull him in second gear been trying to get him to do a roll on but he keeps saying that my bike will out run his but we dont know really for sure..........i do know it will out put a the m90 very bad gave a friend a 2 bike lead and blew pass him like he was sitting still while i was in 3 rd gear

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kbear said:
this really dont count but one of the guys i know has a 600 kat and we both had passenagers on the bike and we was playing a bit and i would out pull him in second gear been trying to get him to do a roll on but he keeps saying that my bike will out run his but we dont know really for sure..........i do know it will out put a the m90 very bad gave a friend a 2 bike lead and blew pass him like he was sitting still while i was in 3 rd gear
Yeah, your bike will certainly pull the Katana. The Katanas are not even close to the true sportbikes in performance. I looked it up and it makes 30 hp less on the wheel compared to the 2006 GSX-R 600.

Glad to hear about the M90, though.

Keep the races coming!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am thinking about pulling a blow kit when they come out that would undoubtedly smoke smaller sport bike the 12.25 1/4 mile is not a pro posting so we still dont know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts