M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a simple question, i'm not looking for type of oil or why you use it or how long you have used it ....

do you use fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil in your engine ?

thanks guys ....

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys ... i have always used semi synthetic in all my bikes but i have been doing a fair bit of homework on oils lately ..
the consensus is fully synthetic is a better oil .. i will be doing a full service just before the summer starts and i might give the full a go ..

i know it won't make a blind bit of difference to the way the bike runs or feels but from what i have been reading it has changed my mind about oil ... my thread was to determine how many people used what oil and then see if it helped me make up my mind ...

· Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,735 Posts
I've always used full synthetic after the initial break in. Same for my cars and trucks. I used Amsoil for a few years then switched to Rotella T6 in 15w-40. It's cheaper than Amsoil and meets all the specs for our bike, plus you can pick it up at Walmart here.

· Registered
6,261 Posts
I've run the Suzuki full synthetic for years. I did use semi synthetic prior to that. The 06-10 are known to have gear box issues. Mine, not so much. Either I got lucky of the oil does it. I used to get the shudder when I was running semi synthetic. Since I started running full synthetic, it has gradually disappeared. Didn't happen once last year. 2020, it happened twice iirc. 2019, three or four times. But on mine, it has never been violent. Shop mechanic described it as "a grabby clutch". That was in 2018. And I'm willing to bet he didn't warm it up before riding it. That's when it typically happens to me.

Mine is 300 miles away from 40,000.

· Registered
303 Posts
I went to Amsoil after the initial break-in. The bike shifted noticeably easier. I thought it was BS until I actually tried the oil myself. Amsoil has gotten pretty expensive up here in Canada so last fall I did some reading and am going to give Motul synthetic a try for the upcoming season. I changed the oil in the bike last fall before putting it away for the winter. The Motul oil is red in color which surprised me! It should make reading the dipstick a lot easier. The oil-check procedure is a big enough PITA without having to look for nice clean clear oil on the dipstick!

· Registered
14 Posts
Thicker oil makes shifting worse , not better. Amsoil is one of a few I like , Mobil1 tends to get dirty fast for some reason.
Mobil 1 has a LOT of detergent in it. One of the claims when it first came out was that it cleaned very well.
By the way, the detergent does not do the cleaning, it isolates the particles and holds them, that is why it looks dirtier.

· Registered
6,261 Posts
Thicker oil makes it shift worse? Really. My bike loves thicker oil. I am planning on changing to 15w-50next oil change. Motul full synthetic. My friend Sam, I changed the oil in his 06 Nine to 20W_50 after he was complaining about shifting difficulties. He loved it after the change.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts