M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have taken pictures during the process, I KNOW, I KNOW and I apologize in advance for not doing so, but I will try and explain this the best I can. I wanted to install aftermarket turnsignals and keep the chrome trim that goes around the front headlight housing, but two things were in my way. Without the stock turn signals there is a huge hole in the sides of the chrome trim piece and it was almost impossible to take the chrome trim off, mount the lights and then put it back on.

What I did was take off the stock turn signals and strip off the chrome/plastic covers, wires, etc and took the metal stud if you will that mounted into the side of the chrome housing and cut it so that it just fit flush with the outside of the chrome cover. Then I got a set of the Kuryakyn hollow bolts, (depending on what type of lights you use will depend on what type of bolts you should buy) I ran my wires, put blue locktite in the light housing and tightened everything up, slip the whole thing in the hole in the side of the chrome cover and just tightened up the set screw under the chrome cover that is there from the original turn signal. It turned out pretty good and was fairly simple.

I cut the turnsignal stalk with a hack saw, although if you have access to a band saw or cut off saw that would be cleaner and smoother. You do have to drill out the interior hole of the stalk a little bit bigger to accomadate the hollow bolt and again depending on what size bolt will determine what size to drill.

Again, i apollogize for not taking pix of the install. I promise to use my head next time and take some pictures. Truthfully, I did not think this was going to work and after fooling around for about 4 hours, I figured it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I will try and figure out how to post pix. I have read the instructions and tried before, but tonight, I will try again. I just have to finish cleaning up the wires before taking pictures.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bruno, if you want to e-mail me the pics I'll get them up on the board. That way you'll get your idea out here today and leave you time to learn the image posting part later. After 11 heart attacks I've got nothing but time, even if my doc says otherwise. My e-mail address is in my profile if I can be of help. :bigthumbsup:

LG

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used GSXR after market signals in the front and back. THe front is tricky but once you get them on they look great...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LionsGate, Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that. 11 Heart attacks. Man you are one fortunate man to still be here. Welcome to the board. It is 10:10PM, I just got done and am taking a little break. Hot as all get ou in the garage. I will take the pix and shoot them to you shortly. Thanks again,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks goes to Lions Gate for posting the pix. Thanks bro.

The lights are Adjure Beacon II - They are sold as Marker Lights. They have 40 LED's and are Dual Purpose Running Lights and Turn Signals. They came with a chrome hollow spacer and short hollow bolts and then I bought longer Kuryakyn hollow bolts to mount onto the bike. No other hardware was needed other than a large stainless steel washer to go against the chrome trim molding.

They do make a slightly smaller set of lights, but I think the bigger ones look ok. They are about the same diameter of stock and only about 1/2" longer than stock. The flash rate was not so fast that a load equalizer was necessary so I did not install one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts