M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally decided to get off my lazy butt and change my oil and gear lube. After reading a bunch of posts it seemed the general consensus was that Amsoil was the best to be had out there. I decided to give it a whirl. I couldn't find the weight oils that everyone seemed to use so I ended up with 15-40 in the engine block and 80-90 in the final drive.

I took my time with the engine oil and was suprised with how much I ended up putting in. It was right at 4.2 qts?!? Quite a bit more than what the book say to put in and more than most on the forum have added. I wonder why? I was real careful letting the bike idle for when it said to and only filling .2 qts at a time after the first 3. So I guess its right....

Anyway, after I was finish I took my M out for a quick test run and I was amazed on how much better the bvike ran and shifted. I would never belived this stuff could make that much of an improvment.

From now on Amsoil has one new, happy and returning customer.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
x_caliber50 said:
It was right at 4.2 qts?!?
Anybody wanna lay odds on when the puking begins? I'm gonna say within 200 miles. That's a LOT more than recommended, and this bike is obviously very finicky about it's oil level.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Anybody wanna lay odds on when the puking begins? I'm gonna say within 200 miles. That's a LOT more than recommended, and this bike is obviously very finicky about it's oil level.Â
Mine Puked within 20 miles of the stealership when they overfilled it...

I'd say he will have oil running down his left pant leg within 30 minutes of his first real ride after the change...

x_Caliber... DONT ride your bike with that much oil in it again or you will be replacing an air filter and cleaning out some spark plugs.... Suzuki's spec on oil capacity wasn't an approximation or guess... It is exact. The problem is that the oil check procedure is VERY easy to do wrong, and give a LOW reading... Drain a half a quart out then follow the manual to the letter and check your oil. Add as necessary.

:doorag:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rode the bike about 15 minutes last nite and then checked the levels and they seemed ok. I rode to work this morning, about 18miles, some on the turnpike doing 80, and I still haven'y noticed anything wrong. When I saw your guys posts I became concerned. So I just now walked outside to the parking lot to see if any leaks had started. I didn't see anything. No puddles on the ground or drips on the bike. I don't know what else to tell you.

I was very prcise with how I changed the oil. I used a kitchen timer and timed porecisily when I did everything. After I emptied the old oil and closed everything up, I put in 3 qts and then let the bike idle for 15 minutes, Then I let sit for 3 miutes, then started adding .2 qts at a time til i reached 3.6 qts. I then let idle for 15 more minutes and repeated the process until I reach 4.2 qts. I don't know how I could have done this any better.

Its been a good 25 maybe 30 miles since I complete the change and there are no problems that I can see. Knock on wood.

I still am concerned about this. So I'm goning to do a short ride at lunch time and then check the levels again. I post back with what I find.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well check it again at lunch. I rode down to the gym. About 10-12 miniytes away. Let stand in the parking lot for 3 min and then checked it in the up-right position. The level indicated smack dab in the middle of that "x" patteren.

I followed Lamonster's guide for changing the oil with the exception that when La drained his he said he drained it with the bike leaning on the kick-stand. I did likewise but when mine stoped dripping I stood the bike up and it stared draining some more. So I then put a block under the stand and let it drip up-right for another 10-15 miniutes or so.

I wonder if I was able to get another .4 qts of oil out of it that way?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
hmmm.. thats not a bad idea bro. the standing upright thing.. especially if going to a full synthetic... means you should only have about .8 quarts of old oil left in the engine...

Hope you don't now begin receiving a hot oil bath, but sounds good. Let us know how it progresses as I hit 600 on the way to work this morning.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Just as an FYI, my bike was overfilled a good bit by the dealer, and didn't start puking until 200 miles in. But, once it started, it kept doing it every time I rode until they changed the oil again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know but I did the conversion and its about 378 mL or 0.4 quart  about 1 and 1/2 cups over what the manual says.  That does not seem like a lot of extra oil to me.  :dontknow:  Will that small amount really cause the problems that you all have discussed?  Any feedback would be helpful because I was thinking of changing the oil myself next time also.

·
Registered
775 Posts
yes, that small amount extra can cause a problem. remember, it's not a car or truck engine with plenty of extra room in the pan. it's a very tight, very precise piece of machinery with very maticulous operations. if you're not positive you can do it exactly right, take it to a tech. you are sure knows how to do it.

G

·
I know when mine puked oil about 6 weeks ago from the dealer over filling it, it had taken over a month to show it's ugly head, almost 650 miles before it started. The bigger problem at the time, I was told was that the air filters, at that time, were back ordered for 4-6 weeks, per the dealer. Not sure if that is still the issue. In any case, check and re-check. Last thing you want is to have to wait on a filter.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have to assume that if had overfilled it. I would get some indication of that when I check the oil. I have done this on at least three different times and I still get a good amount in there. I'm gonna check one more time tonight. If its ok then I'm gonna have to think that either it was low to begin with or possibly I got and extra .4 qts out when I drained the bike in the up-right position.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When mine puked they cleaned the filter and reinstalled it until they could get the new one. I looked at it and it was actualy pretty decent considering the oil bath it got.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't know if this really means anything since I don't have an engine manual for the 109. It may be total BS but I thought I'd mention it.

I was talking to one of the mechanics at the dealership and when talking about the oil level procedures. He stated that the engine has a ball-type valve that can get stuck and cause any number of weird issues (i.e. incorrect oil level readings, venting oil, etc). He stated that this was the reason for the 15 minute, non-riding, engine run and then 3 minute cool down before checking the oil level.

My 109 exhibited some oil from the left filter a couple weeks ago (only a few drops of oil). I had hammered it a couple times on my way to work and it had been sitting for about 4 hours. Other than that, I have close to 4k miles on the bike with no oil drippage.

I too changed the oil. But I put only what the owner manual recommended into the engine with filter change. It was reading overfilled so I removed the oil until it was correct. Then after about 150 miles, I checked it again and it read underfilled, so I added the oil back.

It's a real PITA chasing this oil level. I think if you measure the amount of oil recommended, you should be OK. The real question is how much oil remains in the engine when the filter is changed. Seems this all depends on the orientation of the bike while it drains.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Delmustator said:
I don't know if this really means anything since I don't have an engine manual for the 109. It may be total BS but I thought I'd mention it.

I was talking to one of the mechanics at the dealership and when talking about the oil level procedures. He stated that the engine has a ball-type valve that can get stuck and cause any number of weird issues (i.e. incorrect oil level readings, venting oil, etc). He stated that this was the reason for the 15 minute, non-riding, engine run and then 3 minute cool down before checking the oil level.

My 109 exhibited some oil from the left filter a couple weeks ago (only a few drops of oil). I had hammered it a couple times on my way to work and it had been sitting for about 4 hours. Other than that, I have close to 4k miles on the bike with no oil drippage.

I too changed the oil. But I put only what the owner manual recommended into the engine with filter change. It was reading overfilled so I removed the oil until it was correct. Then after about 150 miles, I checked it again and it read underfilled, so I added the oil back.

It's a real PITA chasing this oil level. I think if you measure the amount of oil recommended, you should be OK. The real question is how much oil remains in the engine when the filter is changed. Seems this all depends on the orientation of the bike while it drains.
The best way I have found is to let the bike drain for a while with filter off.... then go out there and rock it side to side and let it drain a little longer (Trying to get as much oil out as possible). Then put in the EXACT amount of oil the manual calls for...
Fortunately now adays the oil containers have a graduated scale on the side so you can see how much oil you have used.

:doorag:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, just got off the highway traveling from Orlando, FL to Hendersonville, NC. About 560 miles and no problems. I guess I did it right after all.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Have fun at the barbeque. I wish I could join you guys, but I couldn't get the time off. Maybe next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts