M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey... i gotta tell ya.... just got my bike back from the 600 mile service... and after reading the info that OilDoc provided regarding the AmsOil products, i provided the dealer with a batch of oil (20-50w)and gear lube(90w)......

it is sooo obvious on how much better my bike runs, shifts, clutches and much less vibration..... this baby really wants to stretch it's legs and run strong.... it is a joy to ride her......

my hat's off to OilDoc.. and as you can tell , i highly recommend the AmsOil for our bikes.....mjm

·
Registered
906 Posts
Great to hear that..

That is the usual response I get from people that switch over plus an increase in fuel mileage and lower engine oil temps.

Glad I was able to help.

Bob Schultz
[email protected]
Toll Free 1-877-356-6099

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.. my mileage isn't were it should be yet... we will see after this new tank on the new oil.... but overall the difference in how it runs in impressive...i'm doing (this weekend) the jsd mod next.....mjm

·
Registered
296 Posts
I want to tip my hat to Oil Doc as well......I will say that I have seen Amsoil used over many many years (when I started autoXing cars in college in the mid 80's) though I never used it - always heard good stuff and never saw anything bad. From what I have read and seen over 20+ years is that Amsoil works pretty well. Several folks really seem to get bent out of shape from Oil Doc's comments at times as sales retoric or something - whatever. He knows his product and some competitors and comments using this knowledge.....

He always has pretty complete information to support his claims and from what I can tell , genuinely believes in what he sells. I have read many folks going to Amsoil in these bikes with very good initial results, just as Oil Doc said.

So, thanks , Oil Doc for the input and information to help on this forum.....Amsoil will get the call in my 109r when I go synthetic along with a filter. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thank you Shriker..

I will never lie to anyone about AMSOIL.... I Haven't sold it for 22 years because of what AMSOIL says about their products. I've sold because I CAN say those things.

I don't have all the answers, but I do know the right people to ask if I don't know.

Bob Schultz
AMSOIL Wholesale Dist.
[email protected]
Toll Free 1-877-356-6099

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just changed over to Amsoil tonight... what a difference. The last few days I have really been noticing rough shifting. Shifting up and down is much smoother after the switch to Amsoil 10w40.  Thanks again for the info. Doing the gear lube this weekend.

Day 2: I'm really amazed at the subtle differences. When coming down from high revs in second, you can tell things are running a lot smoother. I can't believe the difference. I just had 1100 miles on my old oil from the break-in service, and the bike was running really hot, shifting hard and just didn't feel or sound right. It sounds like a finely tuned machine now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm assuming my dealer isn't going to carry this? Where can I get it and about how many quarts will i need?

If I take it into my dealer during the 4K service will they use it?

·
Registered
906 Posts
allen...

Most dealers will not have a problem using what you bring in. They will just charge labor and maybe a disposal fee. I would make sure I watch them put it in... this comes from personal experience...

You can buy it in any quantity you like but buying a case and 3 filters gets you over that minimum shipping charge and don't forget the Gear Lube.

If you just want to try it, 4 qts of MCF 10W-40 and Filter # EAOM-109 for most suzuki's, Gear Lube is SVG-QT.

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oil Doc, I would like to order some oil & gear lube for my M109R. How do I go about doing this?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Call my Toll Free Number or email me for a quote....

I will be glad to help any way I can. I supply M109 Members at dealer cost. My prices can't be beat.

Bob

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oil Doc... using Amsoil, will there ever be any sludge accumulation? If so, do you ever have to flush the system.

My reason for asking this is that I once used Slick50 in a car and a mechanic told me that it created sludge in my oil. I realize this is probably completely unrelated to your oil, but I was just curious if I would ever need to consider that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Does anyone know in a nutshell how BMW cars can go 15,000 miles between oil changes. My wife has a 325xi and the owner's manual recommends 15,000 mile intervals. Her 330ci before this one went 15k and I checked the oil before she took it in... it looked and smelled brand new. They must be using some good $hat.

·
Registered
906 Posts
On your first question about sludge.... In most cases, AMSOIL is good for 25,000 miles or 1 year when using our 100% products AND AMSOIL Filter.. If using our XL products, they are good for 6 monyhs/7500 miles as they are Hydro-Cracked oils. If using the European Formula oil, it is OEM Recommended change interval.. We have a change interval chart available on-line...

There are a few vehicles that, due to engine design problems, that form sludge no matter what. Some are due to intake problems that allow oxygenation of the oil.

Second question about BMW and vehicles like Mercedes.. Most use a synthetic oil... Mercedes had a problem a few years ago for recommending I believe it was 18,000 mile changes... They forgot to say it had to be Synthetic oil and there was a Class Action Suit that Mercedes lost and had to offer an extended warranty Free of Charge....

Slick 50 does more than cause sludge, the Teflon will actually coagulate in oil passages and cause an oil starvation problem.. Slick 50, Motor-Up, Dura-Lube, Prolong and all the rest have been sued by the FTC for false advertising and lost.

Slick 50 and Z Maxx have changed their marketing and say they "treat The Metal" instead of the oil, so the FTC will have to change their suit.

ALL of these products are CRAP and should never be used. Use a GOOD Quality Oil and change it often, or use a PAO Synthetic with Esters.. Not Wally World junk that doesn't even make grade before you put it in... This goes for filters as well.. BUY THE BEST AVAILABLE... It is cheap insurance for your vehicle... That, also, means stay away from Fram and other cheap filters.... unless you think that they can really build quality in a 3 dollar filter.... I pay 4 times that for a filter !!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just switched to amsoil , are you still having hard shift from 1st to 2nd ?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Barry..

What was the Product Code you switched to ?

It is located on the back of the bottle, it is a 3 letter designation.

I have sold oil to over 3 dozen 109 owners in the last few weeks and all that have installed and ran the oil have reported improved shifts and less noise from the clutch. That is why I am interested in what product code was sold to you... It could be in the tranny itself if other shifts improved or technique.... I know my Wing is crunchy if I am shifting up in a high RPM.... or maybe I should say firm and when I hit it up in that 8000-9000 RPM the shifts are very solid, not smooth as when under 4500 RPM

Bob

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Oil Doc- First let me say i appreciate the info you have supplied us here.
i have a question. Let me start by saying that i have always used a full synthetic oil in all my cars but none have been stick shifts. With that said i questioned my stealer about going to a full synthetic in my 109 and he strongly recommended against it stating that the synthetic lubricates a bit to well and that i will have my bike back in his shop prematurely replacing my clutch plates. He did however recommend that if i wanted the best oil that i go with a semi synthetic were i will have the best of both worlds!!! Is there any truth to this theory?

·
Registered
401 Posts
MCF-QT I am about to go for a ride so I will know more later. Also I ask a local dealer why they didn't carry it and they said they couldn't find a dealer they liked, do you want their info to see what you can do ?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Barry... Yes and thank you.. If you would, please email me their contact info.. I have M/C and Auto shops all over the country.

Latinrascal:.... Your dealer is right to a point... Even Semi-Synthetics can cause this. New friction modifiers have been added to oils and it may not be disclosed on the label.

I will not speak for other oils, I can tell you that AMSOIL has specific additives in their M/C oils, to aid in clutch performance, that are new to the industry. Before that, we were even using our auto oils for the last 30 some years in bikes with no problems. Today, AMSOIL recommends use of their M/C oils, except 2, to avoid some of the new friction modifiers that may be present in their auto oils.

I have a couple of M/C Race shops that use several of our oils depending on the bike... I have them using our 0W-30, 0W-40, 10W-40 auto, 10W-40 M/C and all 3 of our 20W-50's. When it comes to Racing, all bets are off on what works though... some are wet clutches, some are not.

If I have not answered your question sufficiently, please don't hesitate to contact me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts