M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want this bike,
it's by far the best looking cruiser out there in my opinion. however as yet i haven't been able to try it out ( I guess my name isn't really accurate i am not actually a Beastr1der yet, more like a wannabe Beastr1der)

Here's the thing, even though i am 30 years old i have only been riding for 5 months on a 125 cc commuting through London. (Yamaha Dragstar with an 'L' plate is not a good look). It sounds stupid even just thinking about it but do you think i could go from 125cc to 1800 cc in one jump? I am just about to take my full test and by law i can drive anything i want after that (insurance depending which might be an issue)

I am a responsible driver but have always loved a bit of torque... just having an early mid life crisis i guess. I have had a supercharged Jaguar XKR and for the last 5 years haven't been in any kind of incident...i do know however that this is a very different beast.

Would really like to know how you guys progressed to this size of bike and whether any of you made a big jump. Seems a pity to blow 4-5 k on an interim bike when with a few more k's i could get the beast.

i have written too much,

Thanks for any responses, really diggin' this forum

Beastr1der
(soon2be)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Most have worked their way up, but for some this was their first bike. Some never rode ANYTHING before the 9. Personally I've been on bikes since I was 12. It's kind of a shame to have nothing to compare to, you have no idea how great this bike is.
Sounds like your a pretty reasonable guy, just be aware that this thing does not "throw around" very quickly and the pure mass gets some getting use to.

Good luck, and welcome to the board. Hopefully you can earn your screen name. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sure you can, justr take it easy till ya used to the power and the feel of the new bike. Just coz it's 1800cc don't mean you have to ride flat out. Buy the 109 take it easy and enjoy ya machine. :clap2:

Onnie.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

For some guys this is there first bike. For me it's my 12th. I've been ridden 40 years, started on a yam 100cc at age 10. Anyway, I say GO FOR IT. And be careful.
Blue Lion

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Since you have some experience on 2 wheels, I say GO FOR IT! I road dirt bikes for many years but my first street bike was the VTX 1800 and I had no problems.

The 109 is a FREAK! :bigthumbsup::doorag:

·
Registered
166 Posts
get it! it handles awesome. i rode dirtbikes when i was young. it was my first bike. when i was 23 and not responsible at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As others have said, no problem. I went from a Kawi 600cc to the m109, and that was with three years between the last time I rode the 600cc. Just take it slow until you are use to it. First time I got on the 9 I needed to turn out of my garage...I ended up in the grass going straight instead because I was surprised by the torque ;)

...after that first feel, no problem at all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thought I would add to persuade you into getting the M109r. I started with a 2007 gsx-r 600. I rode it for three years and was completely satisfied... until I craved TORQUE. the 600 had plenty of horsepower, but it had noooo torque. If you want power on a .6l sportbike, you were above 9k rpms at all times... which to me is the pits.

After realizing that I didn't respect the bike any more, I knew I had to get to something else before I injured myself or someone else. So not only did I go to a cruiser, but I went to a power cruiser, and it just so happens to be the sexiest power cruiser ever to be built! I started loving them the first day I saw one back in 2006. I knew thats what I was going to.

Moral of the story... although I'm glade I had a sport bike to learn on, I'm extremely satisfied with my 9. I went from a 600 I4 to a 1800 V-twin. Two completely different beasts, but I'll tell you what, I'll take the later anyday!
Go for it!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just B Careful !!!

:bigthumbsup:
I think you can handle it.
Although I have seen some incidents on the 9 that have made me want to say don't buy the 9 if you are a novice.
I have come to find out that they were rider error and could happen to the best of riders.
So with that said I think you should go for it. Get the B E A S T !
:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
I would think that you will be fine. Just respect the power until you get used to her.

:welcome: to the forum. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I never rode before (never wanted to), except my friends moped when I was 12-13yrs old. Or unless you count numerous bicycles. M109R was my first motorcycle (i'm also about 6'5" 280lbs). My suggestion is for you to be cautious learning the limits of both the motorcycle and your riding ability. Stepping outside the limits of either could yield some bad results. Study some proper riding techniques, whether from reading or taking a riders class. The bike is only going to do what you make it do intentionally or unintentionally.

I say get it, M109R was what I wanted, and what i bought. 1 incident and +25K miles later.
Still riding safe.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
what are the London streets like? the 109 is a big boy, and can be a handful sometimes with slow speed maneuvers, the 90 is a little nimbler, can't go wrong with either or imo.. got a few pics in my profile

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It will bring out the monster in you! Take it slow and read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough.
Taking a riding class will help fight the "survival reactions" that kill.
With a machine like this you can have fun but run out of talent quick and become road pizza.
I started with much smaller bikes. This 109 reminded me of riding a wild bull at first.
Its nice to have the power to get out of a bind too!

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Big V-twin fever

I think once you get the "Big V-Twin Fever", you will be hooked.
I rode high lots of bikes for a long time, but got hooked on a 1500 Intruder 10 years ago. I still remember how apprehensive I was buying it without ever riding one first. The mechanic rode it up from the shop, did a u-turn, and parked it in front of me. All I could do was think, holy cow! That thing was big and torquey. I had a friend follow me for a 20 mile ride on my favorite back road. After that I felt fine on it. Same thing for the 109, but lots more power. You'll get used to it fast.
I think its harder to get used to a sports bike really. Low narrow bars, foot pegs so far back. front wheel keeps jumping off the ground, touchy front brake.
Just use your head, and know your limits. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think once you get the "Big V-Twin Fever", you will be hooked.
I rode high lots of bikes for a long time, but got hooked on a 1500 Intruder 10 years ago. I still remember how apprehensive I was buying it without ever riding one first. The mechanic rode it up from the shop, did a u-turn, and parked it in front of me. All I could do was think, holy cow! That thing was big and torquey. I had a friend follow me for a 20 mile ride on my favorite back road. After that I felt fine on it. Same thing for the 109, but lots more power. You'll get used to it fast.
I think its harder to get used to a sports bike really. Low narrow bars, foot pegs so far back. front wheel keeps jumping off the ground, touchy front brake.
Just use your head, and know your limits. Enjoy!
dang you ride high ;):joke:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
welcome from milwaukee wis.

Go for it but always respect the torque of the beast.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes do it, you will love it! Invest in something you wont outgrow. I have been recently test riding other cruisers to see where the 9 stacks up. The 9 leaves the others behind, not just saying that, I truly mean it. I am excited for you, you will love it!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts