M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put new tires front and rear on the bike. Thought I would try assembling the rear differently this time. It was a real b#tch getting the drive shaft in last time so I thought I would pull the secondary gear out to realign the shaft. I did this for two reasons because I had seen others on this site that have had problems with the gear and spring. Mine was fine. Then I noticed metal shavings inside the swingarm. The universal joint had clearanced a spot on the bottom side of the swingarm. So, to remedy this I thought I would grind out the inside of the swingarm. Before I started this I examined the u-joint and yoke. I noticed just how rough of a casting the yoke was. I got my 4" grinder out with a good sanding pad and rounded all the edges of the yoke up. It took about a half an hour. I removed all the casting flashes and radiused around the bearing caps. I was careful not to remove any material that would hurt the strength. I had a concern about balance but it seemed obvious to me that suzuki had no concern for balance. I even noticed what appeared to be a casting fracture on an inside corner which I smoothed out with the grinder. It now appears to me after cleaning all the flashing up be more symetrical and less diameter of mass rotating. I haven't ridden it yet but I am certain it will be fine. And I am also sure it will not rub anymore. An answer to the question in your mind right now "Was my bike lowered?" "Yes". I have an air ride. Those of you with lowered bikes- check that u-joint for rubbing. Hope someone else can benefit from this info. Safe riding!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
I've heard of them having shavings in there before, but I don't recall anyone mention there's was lowered. I've had 2" bones on mine most of the time but also had an air ride on it for a while, and when I pulled the drive shaft to grease it I never noticed any shavings near the top. Maybe it was just the excess casting flash?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts