entire outfit, sans the insoles (they hadn't arrived
yet), and had it on full blast (yes I was baking!),
and noticed no adverse reaction from the bike. It
ran just as strong as ever, and never seemed to
be losing power (electrical power).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm planning on some new heated clothes and wondering how many amps does the 109 have to spare??
volts X amps = watts

at 5000 RPM you should have about 13.8 volts divides 400 watts will give you about 29 amps (amps=volts/watts)

thats good for a bike, you should be able to run a few things with no problem

add the watts of everthing on your bike (lights, ets) and that will tell you what you got as extra for use with other add-ons
turn on the key (don't start engine) and use an amp meter to read what the bike use
take the result and multiply it by 13.8 volts and that will tell you how much wats is being use already

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
turn on the key (don't start engine) and use an amp meter to read what the bike use
Great suggestions Listan1. The only thing that doesn't get you is the draw for the ignition and fuel injection systems. Ideally you could jumper from the battery to the positive wire with an amp meter, and measure it running. You would need some way to leave it connected for starting as the starter amp draw is pretty high.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
volts X amps = watts

at 5000 RPM you should have about 13.8 volts divides 400 watts will give you about 29 amps (amps=volts/watts)
That's also perfect world, with no impedance considerations, not to mention voltage drop over wire run, etc, etc...

Then you have to consider amperage draw of the running lights, ECM, Ignition, Fuel Injection.........

Most manufacturer's are pretty good at supplying an alternator or a generator that is barely sufficient for the vehicle itself, why actually put more money into than is required? This is also why you usually don't find accessory lugs for add-ons, as the electrical system isn't usually up to par for extras.

If you are lucky, you might have 5-9amps to spare.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
When I run my 55 Watt fogs and heated jacket and chaps it runs the battery down if my gear is on high. Can these generators be rewound for higher output?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Pete, your getting close to the max output availble , and over it at idle ,
The improvement your talking about hasent been done,to my knowlage, you can over come your issue by waiting untill you reach the upper side of the RPM range,then turn on the running lamps
you shouldnt have the over draw problem at above 3000 RPMs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.