M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the pearly Albino now for 2 weeks. I have 564 miles on her. I was out riding with a friend of mine who rides a Gsx-r 600. And we pulled up to a light. Well, obviously he has to think he is very tough and starts whacking his throttle. I shake my head and a smile grows from ear to ear as I whacked mine and just abuse the sound of his bike. Then I see his looking like he wants to run it with me so I keep my eyes peeled between the light and my tach. The light turns green and we both launch the screechiest launch I've heard from two bikes in awhile (bike racing in new york isn't that common from a dead stop). I spun the hell outta my tire and then when I gained traction she just bit hard and took off just as I am shifting into 2nd I see a car in the next intersection going way to fast to be stopping at the red light she had. So I roll off and my friend at that point 1st catches up and then passes me and when he passed he must have just seen the car running the light and got on his brakes hard. When I saw this (8 or so feet in front of me) I nailed my brakes because there was no where else to veer to. The bike started going back and forth like it was Bodie Miller running a slalom race. I at first got spooked and then remembered what I learned in the rider course I took two summers ago. Just get off of everything and ride her out. Well it worked. That big fat 240 rear stood my :edit: right upright again and everything stopped shimmying. The look on the 10 bystanders face was priceless when I pulled over to catch my breath and gain my sanity back.

One of the guys who was watching this all happen, was a armmature racer in the AMA as he said. We got to talking as he was drooling over the bike. And we agreed that if I had a skinnier tire I probably would have went down hard. We came up with that because the skinnier rear would have wobbled more and would have not have been as stable and would have put it on its sidewall much sooner and easier and made it harder to control. Also if I did not take that rider course when I started riding two years ago I would have never known what to do in that situation.

Just goes to show you that if you have a friend that is thinking about riding with only a permit or even worse without anything at all please please please tell them to go and take a rider course first and learn the basics and the correct way of doing things and what to do in every situation, and not to learn on their own. Its situations like these that a person who has never been told about what do to in that situation would have come out without getting hurt or even worse killed.

Also please when driving in our cages lets be more cognisant of that fact that there are other people on the road besides ourselves and that paying attention to what the :edit: you are doing could save lives.

For those of you who are wondering, no the car did not slow down or stop or see if I was ok, she actually took off without looking back. And I know she herd my horn and my friend's and saw the 10 peoples faces go " holy :edit: ".

Granted i was not doing the right thing either by racing but when this happened I was only up to 40mph. That god it wasn't faster, it probably would have made it alot worse as well.

Sorry guys just had to vent and make people aware.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Albino109,

I'm glad you didn't get hurt and was able to save it. Yes, the motorcycle safety course was a good investment and thank God you remembered what to do. I'm not preaching to you, however; don't you know that most motorcycle accidents happen when the rider is doing something Stupid!!! We have had enough of our brothers on this site go through losing a friend, brother, husband, father when it hasn't been their fault. Don't put yourself or a friend or the public in harms way by doing something stupid. Have you ever been told that when you get too confident riding it, it will surely kill you. I want to be able to hear of your adventures in the future not reading about another one went down. Ride On...Safely.

C-One

·
Registered
775 Posts
lesson to be learned: don't race on short blocks :evil: and yeah, i've noticed how well the rear end handles on short stops on that 240. seems to stay straight up alot better than smaller tires. brakes really well too. even better is the 260. ride safe, bro.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ALBINO109 said:
I nailed my brakes because there was no where else to veer to. The bike started going back and forth like it was Bodie Miller running a slalom race.
Sounds like some tank-slapping going on...maybe.
Never experienced it on the 109 but I have on the R1. It can be down right scary. If it was a tank slapper, you need to check your brakes as they may go soft after the vibration. A few pumps and all is good...change yer underwear and ride-on.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it was a mini tank slapper... i had one on a 929 when i was in aruba but that was because we hit a huge patch of sand and the bike went nuts. held on then too. But i guess im gonna slow it down and only rip it on long road with no traffic. Dumb :edit: I am.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for posting that scary chit Albino109,
I try to stay conservative on this beast...so far so good and the couple of races I've had were on long stretches on one way streets (no intersections) but still you have to be aware! I'm thinking I'll just see when there's a track night in Albuquerque...and go up there and hang out with my son. :eek: I've found out one of the guys ai ride with teaches a advanced MC riders course on base, he's invited a bunch of up to come on out..so I'm thinking I'll have to go do that. You can never know or learn to much MC safety.

Devilish

·
Registered
665 Posts
High traffic area,plus high speed,almost allways ends up in a crash. Don't count on the "other drivers" knowing how fast you are going,and waiting! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are absolutely right. I just put it out there to use me as an example that you or someone you know or even myself may have not been as lucky and come out ok.

scaryyyyyyy :evil:

p.s. this bike has some majorrrrrrr steam behind it try not to be :super:

although i must say when i pulled up the harley dealership the other day I had a guy on a screaming eagle come over and talk about the bike with me. He was very impressed that onyl having two seasons under the belt and 12 days on the 109 that i ride the 240 to the wall. Kinda felt good :redfaced: :joke:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
First of all glad to hear you made it out of that situation OK. It sounds like you are saying that you locked up the rear tire and were fishtailing it, right? And that the MSF course taught you to get off it if that happens, right? If so then you weren't paying attention in class because if you ever lock up the rear wheel the LAST thing you should do is let off the brake!! It will cause you to either high side or low side, depends on how the rear end is lined up when you let off the brakes. Anyway, this is why I never drag race on the main street here in town. Too many chances that someone will pull out of a driveway in your path or turn left in front of you or something. You're just asking to crash and I don't like crashing! :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not fishtailing at all just a really violent wobble. And it did say when you get into that violent wobble to let off of everything because if you stay on it, it will make it more violent. Fishtails i dont mind and can come out of very easily (most of the time). I used to ride dirtbikes. So fishtailing is fine with me. But violent shakes are not! lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you had really been paying attention in the MSF class you wouldn't have had that little episode because you wouldn't have been racing on the street. If you want to race take it to the strip or track. Don't give us responsible bike riders a bad name. Plus you're costing me money when you make my insurance go up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
ALBINO109 said:
Just goes to show you that if you have a friend that is thinking about riding with only a permit or even worse without anything at all please please please tell them to go and take a rider course first and learn the basics and the correct way of doing things and what to do in every situation, and not to learn on their own. Its situations like these that a person who has never been told about what do to in that situation would have come out without getting hurt or even worse killed.
I don't know about other states, but in CA you can't get a MC endorsement without taking the MSF course first.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tank-Slapper (www.msgroup.org)

http://www.msgroup.org/images/tankslapper.asx

Definition:

A tank-slapper (wild and rapid swings of the handlebars from hard-stop right to hard-stop left and back again) happens when harmonic feedback is generated following your front tire hitting an imperfection on the road surface such as the slight bump at the end of your driveway.Â
It usually happens at speeds of around 20 MPH - sometimes a little faster, sometimes a little slower - but it CAN happen at any speed!

Tank Slapper Movie

I have heard otherwise well informed riders give advice to newbies about how to handle a tank-slapper. Usually it goes something like this: 'Just hit the throttle and lift the front-end off the ground. That will stop the oscillation."

Please! That advise is virtually assured of getting you into serious trouble - more than you were in when the tank-slapper began.

Harmonic feedback means that a small force is being applied EXACTLY in-phase with the end of a counter-force (shock absorber) which results in another 'bounce' of the system AND AN AMPLIFICATION of the previous bounce.Â

The second time it happens the amplification is huge. The third time and you eat asphalt - maybe the fourth time...Â

It is exactly the same principal that keeps your old grandfather's clock pendulum swinging - it gets a tiny 'kick' at exactly the right time (in-phase) at the end of each swing.)

Your bike probably has one of two kinds of devices in it designed to prevent these from happening:

A small shock absorber attached to the steering stem
A pressure bearing within the triple-tree

These are called steering head dampers or 'stabilizers'. Their sole legitimate purpose is to disrupt harmonic feedback and, thus, stop tank-slappers before they start. Some vendors (and motorcycle shops) will tell you to get one in order to stop your front-end from 'shaking'. NUTS! If your front-end shakes at any speed there is something wrong with the suspension.

If your steering head damper is weak or maladjusted then it cannot dampen (and, thus, kill harmonic feedback) shocks to the front-end.

As to suggestions about how to handle one if it happens ... it is NEVER appropriate or safe to do a wheelie. Your response should be to hold firmly to both grips and absorb the 'harmonic feedback' into your arms - i.e., dampen them - and grabbing a handful of the front brake. Then go get it fixed!

Your NUMBER ONE RESPONSIBILITY on a bike is to maintain control of it.Â

For those giving advice ... if your bike is already out of control do you really think it makes sense to increase speed? To do a wheelie? Does it not occur to you that you were traveling at some rate of speed and it was just a minor imperfection in the road surface that started this and that when you come back down from a wheelie, going faster than you were, that front-end is going to get a severe jolt? What do you think the odds are of going into another tank-slapper then?

You must disrupt the harmonic. You do that by stiffening your arms and changing the front-end geometry, if you can. Braking, by the way, both slows you down so that if you do hit the ground it won't hurt as much, and it compresses the front shocks which changes the front-end geometry.Â

Sound like a better alternative to you than hitting the after-burner?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool_hand_luke ,

Relax pal. No need to get nasty. I was simply just stating that I made a mistake and to let people know that they shouldn't do the same. That is what this forum is helpful with. You read about stuff that someone else experienced and that you should avoid doing. If you are gonna bash someone for simply letting her rip then go through all the other threads and talk to the other 1,000 members who have done the same as I and bash them as well. I think you might have to yell at JR for hours on end lol :joke: In terms of giving "us" a bad name, you are the only one giving "us" a bad name because people think bikers are all pissed off assholes who guzzle beer and disturb the peace. And being as nasty as that comment was you are the main culprit to giving "us" a bad name. And finally to touch on your ridiculous comment of making your insurance go up...... If I crashed then it would have made your insurance go up. But I didn't so it did nothing to your insurance. As a matter of fact I have no tickets or accidents on my licence so I never contributed to that at all. And if you think about it whether i was accelerating like a top fuel dragster and stopping at 40mph or just creeping up to 40mph the outcome still would have been the same. The cage ran the light! His fault not mine. The speed limit on that road is 45. So I was actually helping your insurance. I was riding under the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Damn right! We'll go to church if we want to hear a preacher. If we want a lttle wake up call, we'll read what happened and not repeat it. It's that simple. Man!

·
Registered
306 Posts
ALBINO109 said:
Also please when driving in our cages lets be more cognisant of that fact that there are other people on the road besides ourselves and that paying attention to what the :edit: you are doing could save lives.
I'm glad you are OK and everything turned out fine. BUT if your going to include the above "warning" then I feel compelled to add one of my own:

Those of you that insist on acting like fools on a motorcycle get what you deserve. Can you spell "drag strip" or "track day?" Sure you can!

·
Registered
306 Posts
eire1965 said:
I don't know about other states, but in CA you can't get a MC endorsement without taking the MSF course first.
Of course you can't! Remember, you live in the Land of Legislation. Most of us live in the United States. :joke:

·
Registered
20 Posts
ALBINO109 said:
cool_hand_luke ,

Relax pal. No need to get nasty. I was simply just stating that I made a mistake and to let people know that they shouldn't do the same. That is what this forum is helpful with. You read about stuff that someone else experienced and that you should avoid doing. If you are gonna bash someone for simply letting her rip then go through all the other threads and talk to the other 1,000 members who have done the same as I and bash them as well. I think you might have to yell at JR for hours on end lol :joke: In terms of giving "us" a bad name, you are the only one giving "us" a bad name because people think bikers are all pissed off asholes who guzzle beer and disturb the peace. And being as nasty as that comment was you are the main culprit to giving "us" a bad name. And finally to touch on your ridiculous comment of making your insurance go up...... If I crashed then it would have made your insurance go up. But I didn't so it did nothing to your insurance. As a matter of fact I have no tickets or accidents on my licence so I never contributed to that at all. And if you think about it whether i was accelerating like a top fuel dragster and stopping at 40mph or just creeping up to 40mph the outcome still would have been the same. The cage ran the light! His fault not mine. The speed limit on that road is 45. So I was actually helping your insurance. I was riding under the posted speed limit.
Not sure how putting down street racing is being nasty but if you feel that way I am sorry. It is illegal you know. I am all for you racing your bike if you'd like just take it to the track.

Also not sure how I am giving motorcyclist a bad name since I don't drink, I drive responsiby on the street and I go out of my way to wear the proper equipment and steer new drivers to take the MSF course and abide by it. Sounds like you can't handle the truth.

BTW a leo can give you a ticket if he considers you to be reckless in your riding so yes it does matter how fast you get to the speed limit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts