M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know whether I'm lucky or a magnet for trouble. Guess I'm lucky since I continue to walk away from these incidents. Was heading down the road last weekend to the store. I was in the left lane passing this guy and when I came up even with his back door he decided to shift into my lane (quickly). It happened so fast that I couldn't get past him so I hit the back brakes and moved left but he kept coming. Luckily I didn't hit the front brakes and lock up the tire but the front end was still sliding around and jumping. (All of this happened within seconds). The back tire was screaming, the horn was blowing and I was forced into the middle turn lane which was full of gravel and sand. I glanced at his window and his eyes were as big as mine. He was yelling "Sorry, I didn't see you." I didn't have time to tell him what he could do with hisself. I was still trying to slow my bike down without going over in the sand and gravel. He turned off and went a different way. When I got back home I noticed that my NEW rear tire was almost melted all around the center. Man was I pissed. Betcha my insurance won't pay for it either. I've had the M109 for a year and that is my 6th encounter of the "almost" kind. Oh well, today is another day and I'm back on it again. Everybody stay safe!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is exactly why I am a firm believer that loud pipes save lives. Ive only had one idiot cut me off so far. I also got into the habit to crack the throttle a little while approaching another car just to let them know that I am there.
good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep you need to get you some loud pipes mine saved me more then a few times.But most will tell you that they don't.I say hockey puck they save lives.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thats scary, I am glad you are alright. A friend of mine drives with his high beams during the day. Louder pipes definitely get my attention when I am caging.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've been riding for four years now, and I've had more close encounters this season than any other. I utilize my loud pipe and stebel all the time. The stebel REALLY gets their attention:eek:. If you don't have a stebel, it's one of the best/safest mods that you can do.

Glad you made it through safe.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
You know there was a study that was done and they proved that loud pipes do nothing to alert motorist of you being around them. I say BULL, my loud pipes let people know I am there. I don't know who done the study but they are wrong.

I do how ever disagree with running your brights all the time. My buddy does this and he was behind a guy for a little ways and the guy kept brake checking him so my buddy passed the guy. The guy rammed his motorcycle from behind and almost crashed him. The guy made a fast turn and took off never to be seen again. Plus if you have a drunk driver coming towards you then your brights can blind them enough that they may cross into your lane. If they can't see your low beam they will not see your high beam either. Be friendly with your lights and loud with yout pipes.

Glad you didn't get hurt

·
Registered
285 Posts
With regards to the high beams, I never thought of that. It makes sense though, especially the drunk scenario. I dont run with my brights on even though my friend encourages me too. I feel like I am annoying people, but his motto is "I would rather be annoying than dead" He runs his high beams in the day and low high beams at night.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I run with brites on all the time during the day, low beam at dusk and nite, never had an issue

·
Registered
711 Posts
I run with brites on all the time during the day, low beam at dusk and nite, never had an issue
:agree: Make it a practice to stay off the side of cagers if there is any opportunity to do so, or at least keep even or ahead of the driver's side window. Glad you're O.K.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I should probably start doing that. I mean even if you get noticed one time when someone wouldnt have seen you otherwise and possibly moved into you, its worth it.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
wow That situation isnt good

I'm not sure what it will take, I ride to the left of the lane when I am behind them, so they can see me in their side mirror, Then when I pass i pass fast and wide. I had a friend in S Dak same thing, he wasnt so lucky. The car changed laners so fast my friend couldn't brake hard enough and his right leg got caught in the guys bumper. He still rides today with only one real leg and a prosthetic one.

Glad to hear you made it out OK

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I do NOT ride in Vehicles blind spots. If they are going the same speed as me I speed up until I'm right beside their window. If I am passing a tractor trailer. I fly down the side until I'm in his view then return to speed. Two reasons, blind spot and exploding tires.

Just the rule of thumb I go by.;)

Glad it worked out.:doorag:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I ride with my high beams on as well during the day. I also have driving lights on my front forks. They are brighter than the headlight. There are several companies that make them. most of them are around 250-300 bucks. I got mine at Wal-mart, 18 bucks plus about 30 for wires, relay, connectors and crap. All in all about 50 bucks. they are great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Same here! I had two close calls in 2months! I got a set of scorpion tips which is perfect for being in the left lane. Theres no way they can say they didnt know your there when their door is viberating like crazy!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I haven't had any close calls on the 9 yet ( few on the R1), but I always ride with high beams on and make sure that the idiots hear me when I'm around them.
Good thing you didn't crash man, take care.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
:agree: Make it a practice to stay off the side of cagers if there is any opportunity to do so, or at least keep even or ahead of the driver's side window. Glad you're O.K.
:agree: I also make eye contact with the cages, that way I know they see me. Get an HID and Stebel and you will be better seen and heard. Check out the Bang for the bucks thread in my signature, look under safety.

Glad to hear that you were able to keep her up right once again. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
The wife and I both ride with high beams on, and I make eye contact with the driver before I put myself in a situation I can't easily get out of. You've really got to create your safe zone out there on the road.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Light and sound

Stebel Air Horn and HID headlight were in the first group of mods I performed on my bike. Both are worth the time, effort and money when you want to be heard and seen

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
:eek:Loud pipes are annoying all the time:eek:
For less than a tenth of the price you can put a Steble on:bigthumbsup:

In the description of your incident and considering all of the other incidents, you need to stay out of blind spots

can you see me now?>>>>>>>>

1 - 20 of 32 Posts