M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work just south of Cleveland.  On the way home today I was in continuous lines of traffic, in the left lane, left lots of room in front of me tooling along with traffic about 75mph.  I came up on a b-itch in the right lane in an SUV.  I waited until I had a lot of room in front of me to blow through her blind spot.  I had a semi crawling up my a$$.  As I accelerated through her blind spot she decided to pull into my lane. :yikes:  No signal,never turned her head, just pulled right over to within a foot of me.  I let go of the gas, thank Suzuki for our massive pistons, and laid on the horn.  I couldn't jamb on the brakes because I would have been a Kenworth's hood ornament.  I thought that I was going to find out how the 109 was as an enduro bike.  Just as I thought I was dead, the b-itch saw me or heard me and swerved back into her lane almost wrecking. :duck: When I rode past her and looked at her she wouldn't even look at me :cus:   It's one thing to say we are hard to see, but if they don't look they won't even see a locomotive!

Rode to a bike dealer on the way home and spent an hour there to cool off.  Saw a red 07 it looks pretty cool, but I like my black one better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
whew, that was close...glad you came out okay   :bigthumbsup:

i try not to allow myself to be hem'd in, with the flow of traffic...

....anyway, i try to ride like they arent even gonna look and they are all out to get ya.......but i'm not timid about it...more prone to be quick to move on down the road.

i rarely run in the hammer lane, i dont like folks ridin me up close and i dont like ridin right next to anyone either...i need my space

(hmm maybe thats why i dont ride in heavy traffic very often)

be careful out there   :bigthumbsup:

tc

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
F' N CAGERS !    :edit:

I' ve had that happen to me several times...and they don't even look...it's just goes to show you how alert we have to be ....to see things we normally
don't see.

I always try not to ride in the blind spot on duel+ lane hwys...I call it adjust and adapt ! I like   riding in the farthest most part of the lane if I'm passing...atleast you have reaction room.

Be safe !

G

·
Glad you cam out unscathed...

Noww about that red 07: I have owned many, many black vehicles, and I am looking to change that. Now with that in mind, and no black to choose from would you purchase the red???

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I almost bought it yesterday too. I was on the freeway here in San Diego in the right lane getting ready to merge into an off ramp when some punk passed me in the emergency lane doing about 100 mph and was racing another punk in a little car through heavy traffic. If I would have moved 6" I would have been hit. :confused: I guess it wasn't our time Bro. ::)

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you said "if they don't look they wouldn't even see a locomotive" I can vouch for that, while I don't drive a locomotive, I did drive a Winn-Dixie semi for 8 years. A few years ago I was driving down Clark Rd. here in Sarasota and had a guy cross 3 lanes of traffic and the center turn median and T-bone me. I was pulling a 53' trailer so including my tractor I was about the same size as a seven story building laid on it's side. He gets out and his first words to me were "I didn't see you"??? What? I was only moving about 35mph?

Always ride like your invisable, about 85% of the time (or better) you will be!

Mike,
Sarasota, FL

·
Registered
600 Posts
..."It's one thing to say we are hard to see, but if they don't look they won't even see a locomotive!..."

You are absolutely correct. I work for Union Pacific Railroad and in the couple of years that I worked as a Conductor, running from Denver to Cheyenne, I was involved in three crossing incidents. Not a pretty scene :( Two of them went around the crossing gates right as we were approaching the crossing - at 50MPH! :confused: Now, a locomotive is 75' long, weighs 450,000 ground-shaking pounds, has a three-tone, 140 decibel air horn and three 400 watt bulbs shining brightly all the time. Add 4 or 5 more locomotives and a mile+ of cars carrying 10,000+ tons of coal or manifest... how in the HELL could someone not see us coming???

I try my damnedest to leave myself room to keep from getting into a jam when riding. Like you said... if some people won't put out the effort to see or hear a mile-long train coming, there's no way they're gonna be looking for us on a motorcyle.

G

·
It seem there are way to many close calls posted on our site. Drive defensively and awlays leave plenty of room for manuvering in front and to the sides. Luck.

Reed

·
Registered
211 Posts
COZ375 said:
I work just south of Cleveland. On the way home today I was in continuous lines of traffic, in the left lane, left lots of room in front of me tooling along with traffic about 75mph. I came up on a b-itch in the right lane in an SUV. I waited until I had a lot of room in front of me to blow through her blind spot. I had a semi crawling up my a$$. As I accelerated through her blind spot she decided to pull into my lane. :yikes: No signal,never turned her head, just pulled right over to within a foot of me. I let go of the gas, thank Suzuki for our massive pistons, and laid on the horn. I couldn't jamb on the brakes because I would have been a Kenworth's hood ornament. I thought that I was going to find out how the 109 was as an enduro bike. Just as I thought I was dead, the b-itch saw me or heard me and swerved back into her lane almost wrecking. :duck: When I rode past her and looked at her she wouldn't even look at me :cus:  It's one thing to say we are hard to see, but if they don't look they won't even see a locomotive!

Rode to a bike dealer on the way home and spent an hour there to cool off. Saw a red 07 it looks pretty cool, but I like my black one better.
You should move to Central Florida.... I go thru the samething almost everytime I go out around town on weekly basis. I'm happy that you all have to deal with it once in a while only. Ride Safe! :confused:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Dang!! What is it today?? Mine wasn't due to another driver, however. I was riding down the freeway doing about 85mph. I pulled off on the wrong exit, turned around and got back on the freeway. As I started going I noticed the tell-tale "thump, thump" (was up to about 65 by this time) and I knew this piece of road doesn't normally feel like that. I started slowing down and pulling over. By the time I got to a safe spot the tire was completely flat. I was initially upset that I was going to be late for work, then realized that at least I'm making it to work at all. The outcome could have been very different at 85mph.
I guess I was meant to take that wrong exit to slow me down a bit. I know it saved my can today.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow, thank goodness you weren't hurt!

It has gotten absolutley ridiculous how people drive without paying attention to whats going on around them. Glad you are okay and hope you have a long safe life of riding.

Ride safe, bro.

·
Registered
572 Posts
People really need to pay more attention out there... but most don't care one bit...

Driving needs to be a priviledge again, not just a right...

Some people just DO NOT have the mental ability to SAFELY drive...

Not trying to be mean, but there are some who are just plain DANGEROUS!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Was riding one day thinking to myself how it seemed that I was invisibile to these cagers (had been a bad day many close calls and dumba%% attacks) , and then realized I could have been driving a Kenworth and still been invisibile to them (been there, done almost ran over more than I could count) ::) ............ just my .02 on most cagers SA ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Really... how hard is it to look where you're going? Jeez

G

·
Yup...had me an encounter today as well....I was in the left hand turning lane trying to get onto the I540 on ramp....the oncoming traffic has a yield sign, and I have the right of way. Well a cager comes blasting up to the on ramp not paying attention to me so I slow down and am going to let him go ahead, when he waves at me to go ahead, which was my right anyway since he had the yield sign. I shake my head and accelerate up the ramp with this numbnuts riding my ass all the way. He was literally on my ass about as close as he could possibly be. Once on the interstate I goosed it up to 100 and he was STILL on my ass, I figure this guy is gonna try and take me out so I gun it up to 115 and he finally fell off and left me alone. I guess I should've got off the bike and settled in on the shoulder but damn this guy was an idiot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts